I am looking for some amp settings that make chords sound better, because I am finding that there are some amp settings that give the chords a more "one note" sound while some give the chord a more separated sound, which is not what i'm going for.

Btw: i have a peavey vypyr 30 and an axl badwater sro
You can alter this with picking dynamics: strum the strings not in a fluid motion but slightly separated to achieve this effect.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
i switch them constantly, and only a few sound right, but i lose them quickly, but on guitar or amp?
Try scooping the mids some, put a very small amount of reverb, and put it onto the middle pickups, with just a small bit of treble knocked off of your guitar, in other words, set it to 8-9 and not full on 10 on your guitar. Mess with a few different amp models on it and see if you find one that you like a lot, but yeah, thats about it for the eq...
Quote by Chaos Nil
Try scooping the mids some, put a very small amount of reverb, and put it onto the middle pickups, with just a small bit of treble knocked off of your guitar, in other words, set it to 8-9 and not full on 10 on your guitar. Mess with a few different amp models on it and see if you find one that you like a lot, but yeah, thats about it for the eq...

thanks
Quote by Dacadac
i switch them constantly, and only a few sound right, but i lose them quickly, but on guitar or amp?

Amp. I usually have my treble at an 8-10 range. I keep my my mids at a 5-7 range, and I have bass at a 7-10 range. It works for me. Just mess around till you find something that sounds right to you.
H e l l o .
Quote by kitty_teh_fish
Amp. I usually have my treble at an 8-10 range. I keep my my mids at a 5-7 range, and I have bass at a 7-10 range. It works for me. Just mess around till you find something that sounds right to you.

i switch those around constantly too, to create sounds from other guitarists
Quote by Chaos Nil

Please don't scoop your mids, I keep mine between 4-5, maybe I'll just give you my settings. And I prefer Delay over Reverb, adds to the sustain, Chaos, not many people have a middle pickup. I've owned 3 guitars and... no middle pickup.

Base- 9
Mids- 4
Treble- 9
Gain- 10
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by Chaos Nil
Try scooping the mids some
Dear go, no. Scooping mids is never a good idea.

Boost your treble and bass higher than your mids? Sure. But you should never take anything away. Not from your treble, not from your bass, not from your mids. When you start cutting things out, that's when you lose definition and dynamic reaction, that's when you start getting muddy and you start sounding like utter ****e.

Anyway, OP, if your powerchords aren't sounding smooth enough, it is in fact mids you need. You may also wish to try turning the gain up a little bit if you really don't want any definition between each note. If you have a full EQ pedal I would suggest using it to boost the lower-mids (not full bass, but not the frequencies right in the middle either), though if you just have your amp's EQ controls then the basic mids should do. You could also consider using thicker strings, using a slightly thinner pick and increasing the strength with which you pick (i.e. really smack the strings).

If you want your powerchords to ever sound clearer with each note more defined, backing off the gain a little, adding a little treble and perhaps taking off a little bass is the way to go. You might also consider lighter strings, a slightly thicker pick and not using such a hard picking motion.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by VanTheKraut
Please don't scoop your mids, I keep mine between 4-5, maybe I'll just give you my settings. And I prefer Delay over Reverb, adds to the sustain, Chaos, not many people have a middle pickup. I've owned 3 guitars and... no middle pickup.

Base- 9
Mids- 4
Treble- 9
Gain- 10

Well by scooped mids i meant a little under the "5" for the Peavey which would be around 9-12'o Clock. The highs are around 1-3 and the lows are usually around 12-3.

Dacadac also said that he had an ACL Badwater SRO which is has a HSS setup on it just like my Ibanez GSA60. Tone wouldn't be exact but I have it on my middle pickup because my bridge is a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker™ SH-13, which is a little harsh for cleans. If he wanted to mess with distortion he could try using his bridge pickup for it too but I was just suggesting how things work for what I have.

And by the way Dacadac, what color guitar is it?
NEVER scoop mids, if your mids are more than 3 lower, then it's BAD.

You'll never cut through, or push out tone without the mids.

Otherwise, maybe try rolling the tone knob off a bit on the guitar? And the treble on the amp?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Ok, so looking through I realize now that "Scooped" was the wrong term for it. I guess I should have said "VERY SLIGHTLY scooped." I didn't realize scooped was closer to 1-3 and I saw it as more as a relative thing. And in the end scooped isn't really good at all.

My EQ a several of my settings are set for:
Bass: 1-3 o'clock
Mid: 9-12 o'clock
Treble: 1-3 o'clock

So yeah, "technically" that's a very minor scoop. I didn't mean to be saying throw your mids into a soundproof room in the Pacific.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Well by scooped mids i meant a little under the "5" for the Peavey which would be around 9-12'o Clock. The highs are around 1-3 and the lows are usually around 12-3.

Dacadac also said that he had an ACL Badwater SRO which is has a HSS setup on it just like my Ibanez GSA60. Tone wouldn't be exact but I have it on my middle pickup because my bridge is a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker™ SH-13, which is a little harsh for cleans. If he wanted to mess with distortion he could try using his bridge pickup for it too but I was just suggesting how things work for what I have.

And by the way Dacadac, what color guitar is it?

It is off white, and to add a little info, i don't actually use a pick
Quote by Chaos Nil
But do you use the pads of your finder or your fingernail?

i use my fingers as a pick basically, i put my fingers in the basic formation that would be used to hold a pick, but i just minus the pick and strum with the front of the fingernail, not the tip
Quote by VanTheKraut

Base- 9
Mids- 4
Treble- 9
Gain- 10

Uh... Reverb can increase sustain... they both do...

Many people have a middle pick-up. I do. He might. Who knows?

And you have your gain dimed, and your mids basically scooped. Hypocrite. I don't think those settings are really going to work out.

Not everyone can be like you, sadly...

But yeah, TS, add a touch of reverb perhaps, and work on your strum. If you play too slow, you can end up raking it, and it'll will seem like you're playing an arpeggio.