ok im composing a classical piece and as i tabbed out the intro on guitar pro the only way to get it to sound right was 19/16 time signature. i wasnt going for that but now im stuck. HOw do i count that?
I used to have similar issues. If my former problems are similar to yours, you have to think in triplets. Maybe post up the piece so far on your profile and we'll help you figure it out.
Don't count it, with something that complex you'll probably just confuse yourself. Just "feel" it, you'll probably find it easier that way.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Don't count it, with something that complex you'll probably just confuse yourself. Just "feel" it, you'll probably find it easier that way.

well so far im doing good on composing it and feeling it but id like to know how to count it to make writing it on guitar pro easier.
Quote by timi_hendrix

This is the best way to do it. It's to fast to sub-divide the beats, so this is your best bet.

Just write it as it is. Or are you trying to write drums for it or something..? Cause that could be difficult.
hahaha no just guitar. its a classical piece im composing. it has a lot of dotted 8th notes at 120bpm. ive figured that i can somewhat work with 1 2 3 4 123 basically Q Q Q Q E.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
19/16 lol. Strange.

Not that strange. Refer to Celestial Terrestrial Commuters by The Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I think that alternates 18 and 19/16, if I remember correctly.
Quote by metalrhoads
hahaha no just guitar. its a classical piece im composing. it has a lot of dotted 8th notes at 120bpm. ive figured that i can somewhat work with 1 2 3 4 123 basically Q Q Q Q E.

Why not notate it as two alternating time signatures?

Maybe 3/4 then 7/16?
If you wrote it on an instrument than you can already play it so it doesn't matter, if not, good ****ing luck.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Why not notate it as two alternating time signatures?

Maybe 3/4 then 7/16?

+1

even simpe time signatures like 5/4 are much easier to count if you just count 12312 instead of 12345
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
+1

even simpe time signatures like 5/4 are much easier to count if you just count 12312 instead of 12345

I got an even better one.

Never lose focus of the "1" beat and you can play through almost anything if it's within ur technical range ofcourse.

I learned this from my guitarteacher, and once again practice is the key.

Tell me how often do you count 4/4?

You can develop a "feel" for weird time signatures the same way as 4/4.

Currently I got a solid "feel" for most weird time signatures. Practicing polyrhythms helped because most of them are 16th's so they are impossible too count unless you have a shred tongue

I learned the "feels" of them in this order:

4/4(obvious)
3/4
6/8
5/4
6/4
7/4
7/8
3/8, 4/8, 5/8

I suggest further odd meters to learn using the above list, because most of the accents in an odd signature other then I put above are usually stacked meters if you look at the accents.

Examples;

9/9 could be three times 3/8 (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3)
11/8 could be 6/8 + 5/8 (1,2,3 1,2,3 ,1,2,3, 1,2)
etc.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 18, 2009,
^
|
|
|

+1

once ull get u to it then it feel fine

it took away for me to get like this one song by NiN in 29/8
it was march of the pigs i think

but i just split it in to 7/8 x3 then one 8/8

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Try not resurrecting threads from 2009.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here