Hey guys,

I've decided that at some point soon I am going to try changing the preamp tubes in my Egnater Rebel, or even just the V1 tube, so I can get a feel for how all this stuff works. I looked over the "Everything You Need to Know About Tubes!" thread, lots of good stuff in there. I've decided I'm going to first try out a JJ ECC83 in the V1, and see how it sounds. It's my first time changing tubes and everything, so I just want to get a feel for it.

I have a couple of questions, though. I've never changed tubes at all, and from what my friend (very experienced in this stuff) has told me, all I need to do is remove the current V1 tube with a tissue, and pop the new JJ in.

In the Rebel, there are metal covers over all the preamp tubes. How do I remove these?

Also, I've heard that in tube amps, there is a pretty good risk of getting shocked badly enough for you to actually die, and I obviously want to avoid that. How can I avoid it (not touching certain things, etc.)?

Thanks for any help!
change your tubes while your amp is unplug in avoid of THE SHOKZORZ!!!.....

the metal covers on the pre amps are needed there for............ i forgot exactly but you NEED THEM..... you remove them by just unscrewing them
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 10, 2009,
Thanks guys.

Isn't there something that is a total no-no when it comes to touching when changing tubes? I will definitely make sure I unplug it and have it off when I change them...
Just don't touch anything except the tubes and covers. It's far safer that way. There's a bunch of stuff that retains an electrical charge after its unplugged.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Just don't touch anything except the tubes and covers. It's far safer that way. There's a bunch of stuff that retains an electrical charge after its unplugged.

Alright. It's small in there, so hopefully I don't accidentally bang into anything.
You'll be fine. Just for kicks and giggles, wear rubber soled shoes.

Don't judge me.
Personally, no. But I've heard people say that they're much better than eurotubes.

Don't judge me.
I've heard more good things about tube depot than tubestore. I do all my online parts ordering from guitar parts depot, but their tube selection is rather limited.

Don't judge me.
if your that worried about it
if you have any yellow washing up gloves
those will protect you from any shock
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by steve!

Really? Didn't know that. Alright, well that's good to know.

And thanks to all three of you, I appreciate it a lot!
Quote by steve!

....no they won't....

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
....no they won't....

Alright, well bottom line is to only touch the tubes and nothing else, right?
I've actually read you don't wanna grab the tubes with your bare hands. Something about the oil from your hands heating up and making the glass weaker.
Quote by MAYNARD
I've actually read you don't wanna grab the tubes with your bare hands. Something about the oil from your hands heating up and making the glass weaker.

Yeah I've heard that too. I'll just use a tissue or something.