Hello everyone. This is my very first post here. I'm Tim. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register and do a little bit of contributing.

Anyways, I bought a used strat a while ago and thought I'd put up some pics. It's a 1980 Fender THE Strat. For those who don't know, in 1980, Fender wanted to make a guitar that appealed more to the fans of the pre-CBS guitars. So the did away with the big 70's style headstock, and reworked a few other things. They brought in the famous Dan Armstrong to help with design. In the bridge position is the X-1 pickup which is wound just a bit hotter than the other pickups.
To add a touch of class they added gold hardware. But not the cheap stuff. On the first models, they dipped the hardware in jewelry gold before shipping them out. Thus, Fender lost money on every unit sold. Mine is one of these. If you note the headstock picture, the tuners are silver. Fender couldn't wait to put them out, so they didn't wait for the gold tuners and the first models had all gold hardware except for the silver tuners.

Well that was fun, here's some pictures. Everything's original, I put gold straplocks on.

That's beautiful.
Take care of it.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
fap fap fap fapfapfapfapfap ... ... fap ... ... ..fap...
PG > YWM

oh, btw... is it bad if your pee is red?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
in scotland they call carbonated drinks 'juice' so you would say a can of juice for example. But they call poop jobbies, so their take on things doesn't count.
Absolutely stunning, look after her
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
My jealousy will last until after I am dead and dust. Break that thing and I will destroy you.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
damn...
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Oh trust me. I've been a Fender fan for years. She's in good hands.
As one of the couple of posters here who really dont care for strats at all, that is the sexiest looking strat I have ever seen... How much did it run you?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
It's a beautiful guitar... but I'm'a little curious as to where you got your information on the "sold at a loss" and "dipping in jewelery" from... those parts are simply plated in 22 karat.

In anycase, you've got quite a beuatey, treat her well. You should also have the rotary switch instead of the second tone control, right? To give you 9 different tones out of it? Most definitely 9 awesomely amazing beautiful tones!

Edit: also forgot, "The Strat" was looking forward, the Stratocaster was looking backwards. The only thing "pre-CBS" about "The Strat" is its headstock.

edit again: $650?! Christ that was a deal, kudos, man!

edit again (everytime I go back and look at those pictures, I notice something else you mentioned): I might be wrong about the "jewelry" dipped parts, since you mentioned "the first ones," but all "the strats" had 22 karat plated brass hardware. You might be right on that, but it was Greg Wilson who helped design it, not Kent Armstrong. Kent Armstrong made after market pickups. <---- my bad, you said Dan Armstrong, as in plexiglass guitar guy. I'm pretty sure he was retired from the business by this time. I'm not 100% sure what he was up to, but I've never heard his name in conjunction to a fender product.

Sorry to edit again, when I'm not sure of something, I've gotta make sure:
http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000273.html
tons of info on the Strat, Dan Armstrong was a consultant on it.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by TimK
Oh and I forgot to mention. I got it for only $650!

o.O you're an absolute winner.

Very well done, sir, I'm sure you'll go on to make beautiful music with her.
To Thomme

Sorry if I have some of the facts wrong. I'm going mostly off of the knowledge of my store techs. (If you're ever in Pittsburgh, go to Pianos n Stuff. Helpful salespeople and a giant selection for being a mom and pop. Better than guitar center 30fold.)

And yes, the second tone control is a 2-way switch that switches in and out of phase. I've found it pretty useful. If used properly you can get some Brian May-esque sounds.
This thing is also heavy as hell. Made of white ash. If I had a bad back I'd be licking the floor.
Quote by TimK
To Thomme

Sorry if I have some of the facts wrong. I'm going mostly off of the knowledge of my store techs. (If you're ever in Pittsburgh, go to Pianos n Stuff. Helpful salespeople and a giant selection for being a mom and pop. Better than guitar center 30fold.)

And yes, the second tone control is a 2-way switch that switches in and out of phase. I've found it pretty useful. If used properly you can get some Brian May-esque sounds.

Ah, no worries. I just calls 'em like I see's 'em. And when I can't quite see's 'em, I go out and get a pair of glasses. Man, Fender has some great guitars in the 80's, too bad management turmoil, metal music and the slew of import guitars killed them.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.