Currently I have a Fender Squier Strat. I was thinking of getting an American Strat or Tele. But then I thought, "Why pay so much more when I can get a Mexican one?"

So, is there really that much of a difference between where the guitars were made? Like is a Mexican made that much of a step up from the Squier (Korea made)? Is a Mexican made really that much more worse than an American that they cost twice as much?

Im curious to your guys opinion on it.

I now have a bigger and better amp; a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT and it works excellent. Im in 3 bands and I think I really need to upgrade.
Meh, buy a used American, problem solved.

It's gonna be ~$500, but if you hang on to it and take good care, the value will increase over the years. I bought a used MIA, couldn't be happier, they're quality guitars, and there's really nice used stuff out there, just check craigslist, and make sure to meet up and test the guitar before you buy it.
Quote by Sharck
Meh, buy a used American, problem solved.

It's gonna be ~$500, but if you hang on to it and take good care, the value will increase over the years. I bought a used MIA, couldn't be happier, they're quality guitars, and there's really nice used stuff out there, just check craigslist, and make sure to meet up and test the guitar before you buy it.

Well, I can buy an American but Ill have to save up for longer and Id rather not spend that much money if I dont have to.

Anyways, Ive already looked into it and a used USA strat or tele goes for atleast 700 bucks around here.
imo American ones are overhyped. Yes theyre better than MIM ones, though people make it seem like MIMs are cigar boxes w/ a neck and strings.
Ive played MIM strats and teles and there are a rare few in which, pickups aside(they are sorta weak) was just as good as any MIA ive played to date

if you can get the MIA, but play them all and choose which of them is the best value
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Jeez you think for being in Cali an american fender would be cheaper

mexicans are good but the bridge isn't the same and the hardware/pups/electronics are an overall lower quality, along with the neck and body woods but they're still great.
Nah, theyre expensive. Ive been looking on Craigslist and I found one for 400 bucks and it got sold like the day it was put up so I was too late. Ive been looking for a few months on Craigslist now and thats as good as it gets.

So I checked the local used guitar store and they sell MIMs for $350 and MIA starting at $750.

But, what if I get a used MIM and switch out the pick ups? Will that make it a lot better?

And also, the other really big question is is a MIM really that much better than what I have now? Im assuming it is, but maybe Im wrong?
Frankly I've played both, and while the Am. Std. is great and if I had the money I'd get it, to be honest I don't think it's worth the extra $1,000*. If you want a higher-end strat, get a Roadworn; relics are a gimmick cosmetically(I like worn guitars, but each one worn the same is ridiculous.), but the Roadworns are doing something right with the electronics; I compared them to real vintage Fenders, the roadworns did incredibly well for $950 MIM's.

But really, a country of origin has nothing to do with quality, Squiers aren't that great just because, being mass produced and generally unexamined too, so their QC is hell. As long as you find a good one though, a MIM can beat a MIA.

*MIA Standards went up to $1,420 recently, turning the $550 difference into a $970 difference, which I round to $1,000 to make things easier.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I really dont like how the roadworns look though.

I was looking through guitar center yesterday and I saw this guitar all beat up and stuff and it looked horrible to me and I thought "jeeze, who would want to buy that piece of crap guitar???" and I later found out its a roadworn when I looked at the tag.

My realistic price range is around $400 right now. I could save up more but itd take 4-5 months. And I need one now. Im already embarrassed to go to play a gig this weekend with my squier... but maybe my friend will let me borrow his MIM strat.....
Quote by Tyranus-3121
imo American ones are overhyped. Yes theyre better than MIM ones, though people make it seem like MIMs are cigar boxes w/ a neck and strings.
Ive played MIM strats and teles and there are a rare few in which, pickups aside(they are sorta weak) was just as good as any MIA ive played to date

if you can get the MIA, but play them all and choose which of them is the best value

Actually, from what I've seen, nearly everyone likes MIM and in no way thinks they're like a cigar box with a neck and strings.

Both are great, MIA just has higher quality hardware and a few extra amenities that make me love it.

But TS, a MIM would do you fine. Great instruments.
Quote by aaronob
I really dont like how the roadworns look though.

I was looking through guitar center yesterday and I saw this guitar all beat up and stuff and it looked horrible to me and I thought "jeeze, who would want to buy that piece of crap guitar???" and I later found out its a roadworn when I looked at the tag.

My realistic price range is around $400 right now. I could save up more but itd take 4-5 months. And I need one now. Im already embarrassed to go to play a gig this weekend with my squier... but maybe my friend will let me borrow his MIM strat.....

...If you deny a guitar based on looks, I will eat whatever you buy instead.

...Some people like beaten guitars. People like me. Like I said, cosmetically it's a gimmick, but tonally it's beautiful.

Save up another $50 then; as an owner of a MIM Standard who was considering and compared it to a used MIA he was considering before buying, I have to say as long as you find a gem, you won't be disappointed.

Quote by aaronob
Nah, theyre expensive. Ive been looking on Craigslist and I found one for 400 bucks and it got sold like the day it was put up so I was too late. Ive been looking for a few months on Craigslist now and thats as good as it gets.

So I checked the local used guitar store and they sell MIMs for $350 and MIA starting at $750.

But, what if I get a used MIM and switch out the pick ups? Will that make it a lot better?

And also, the other really big question is is a MIM really that much better than what I have now? Im assuming it is, but maybe Im wrong?

I have this used MIM you speak of with switched pickups, and it compares favourably to any other guitar I've played.

What you get for the extra money with the American (just summarising off the top of my head)

* better pickups
* cold rolled steel bridge
* better QC
* patriotism bonus
The Fender MIM Guitars can be some of the best guitars you'll ever find, as well as a dud. Same goes for the MIA. I've never been impressed with anything coming out of the Fender factory this side of the border, actually.

The bridges on the mim's aren't bad, neither are the tuners. The only thing that isn't top notch on them is the electronics. You need new pickups and pots in those, once you do that, they sing. With a good setup and a new nut, almost all of the MIM's will be a good player, sure they won't retain their value like a MIA will, but, they're also much cheaper guitars.

Besides, the MIA pickups aren't that great these days, anyway.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by necrosis1193
...If you deny a guitar based on looks, I will eat whatever you buy instead.

Nah dude you got me all wrong.... I totally understand. I have a red Ovation acoustic and I dont really care much for the cosmetics of it, but I chose it because its the one I liked the best out of all the ones I tried.

But if the roadworns are really that better, then, cool. But they cost more than just a normal MIM.

So, I could just change out the pick ups in the MIM when I buy it and it will sound a lot better? Like how much would it cost to get some decent pick ups? Ive seen some for around 60-80 bucks.... and I think Id want to get humbucking pick ups too. Especially if I get a Telecaster because I notice those like to hum a lot with my amp.
Quote by aaronob
Nah dude you got me all wrong.... I totally understand. I have a red Ovation acoustic and I dont really care much for the cosmetics of it, but I chose it because its the one I liked the best out of all the ones I tried.

But if the roadworns are really that better, then, cool. But they cost more than just a normal MIM.

So, I could just change out the pick ups in the MIM when I buy it and it will sound a lot better? Like how much would it cost to get some decent pick ups? Ive seen some for around 60-80 bucks.... and I think Id want to get humbucking pick ups too. Especially if I get a Telecaster because I notice those like to hum a lot with my amp.

what kind of music do you play? If you got a telecaster, it really limits your pickup selection drastically.
Quote by necrosis1193
Frankly I've played both, and while the Am. Std. is great and if I had the money I'd get it, to be honest I don't think it's worth the extra $1,000*. If you want a higher-end strat, get a Roadworn; relics are a gimmick cosmetically(I like worn guitars, but each one worn the same is ridiculous.), but the Roadworns are doing something right with the electronics; I compared them to real vintage Fenders, the roadworns did incredibly well for $950 MIM's.

But really, a country of origin has nothing to do with quality, Squiers aren't that great just because, being mass produced and generally unexamined too, so their QC is hell. As long as you find a good one though, a MIM can beat a MIA.

*MIA Standards went up to $1,420 recently, turning the $550 difference into a $970 difference, which I round to $1,000 to make things easier.

I'd agree completely.

Best advice is to try a MIM & MIA and compare (and a MIJ/MIK if you can too) for yourself.

I tested a MIM standard compared to the MIA standard and I couldn't tell much difference in sound. Certainly not worth the hefty price tag.

Also, keep in mind you can always upgrade the MIM in the future and save yourself a lot of $.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free
I'd agree completely.

Best advice is to try a MIM & MIA and compare (and a MIJ/MIK if you can too) for yourself.

I tested a MIM standard compared to the MIA standard and I couldn't tell much difference in sound. Certainly not worth the hefty price tag.

Also, keep in mind you can always upgrade the MIM in the future and save yourself a lot of $.

good luck in finding a MIK or MIJ Fender Strat these days

No, I kid... but, the biggest difference that I find with MIA and MIM fenders is: when you're in the store, the MIM feel cheaper made, but after a couple of years, they both feel the same.
Quote by Thomme
what kind of music do you play? If you got a telecaster, it really limits your pickup selection drastically.

Well, I play a pretty big range of things.

You can check out my profile and see my favorite artists and guitarists. They are huge influences on how I play.

My ultimate goal is to be in an acid rock/psychedelic rock band, but right now Im just kinda playing around and trying to find my own style and sound. And I think a Tele would be a good choice for this. Either that or a Strat. But I think a Tele has a more unique sound to it.
EDIT: ^ After looking it over I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59' in the bridge wired for push-pull coil-tap, and the neck pickup is your call.

Quote by aaronob

Ah. Apologies then, a friend of mine is an idiot and has bought three Les Paul copies because "They look like a Les Paul they're real!", so I get annoyed when people seem to buy on looks.

Fair enough.

In that case I'd recommend getting a MIM Standard tele and swapping the pickups for a pair of Vintage Noiseless'. You may also want to get it rewired and repotted, but that's your call. Either way get the pickups though.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 11, 2009,
Korean made Fenders [NOT squiers] are, or at least should, be the same as, or better then, MIM strats.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
^Really? I didnt know there were Korean made Fenders that arent Squiers.... Ill have to look into that.

Quote by necrosis1193
EDIT: ^ After looking it over I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59' in the bridge wired for push-pull coil-tap, and the neck pickup is your call.

Ah. Apologies then, a friend of mine is an idiot and has bought three Les Paul copies because "They look like a Les Paul they're real!", so I get annoyed when people seem to buy on looks.

Fair enough.

In that case I'd recommend getting a MIM Standard tele and swapping the pickups for a pair of Vintage Noiseless'. You may also want to get it rewired and repotted, but that's your call. Either way get the pickups though.

How much do you estimate that stuff would cost?
Quote by aaronob
^Really? I didnt know there were Korean made Fenders that arent Squiers.... Ill have to look into that.

How much do you estimate that stuff would cost?

MIM Standard; $450.
Lil' 59; $80.
Pots; $13 or so each, so in total about $40.
Wires; Depends who you buy from.
Getting someone to do everything for you; $75-$125.

Worth it in the end, but nonetheless costly. I'd say get the MIM, then the 59', then everything else, play the MIM stock until you get the other stuff, then have it installed all at once.

Quote by necrosis1193
MIM Standard; $450.
Lil' 59; $80.

Worth it in the end, but nonetheless costly. I'd say get the MIM, then the 59', then everything else, play the MIM stock until you get the other stuff, then have it installed all at once.

$13 a pot? Woah! The mom and pops where I used to lived only charged 5 a pot for CTS pots, it's like $12 for a push.pull... crazy.

Quote by Simsimius
Korean made Fenders [NOT squiers] are, or at least should, be the same as, or better then, MIM strats.

actually, the MIK Fenders are considered to be better instruments than the MIM by some. And other plays, still, think the MIM is higher quality and a better instruments. Honestly, the MIK I played was an awesome guitar, but the wood on the neck and fingerboard looked dull and listless. I prefer the MIM over the MIK...

It's when you start talking about American Made Squiers that your head will really start to blow.
Quote by necrosis1193
MIM Standard; $450.
Lil' 59; $80.

Yeah man, thats a good idea. Thats probably what Ill end up doing since I dont have much money right now. Because Im assuming probably even with the MIM pick ups and stuff its stilll way better than the guitar I have now.

Yeah, so, I was just looking online at Guitar Center.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Electric-Guitar,300-500,Page-1.gc?pf=6&ipp=15

I found a Fender Telecaster for around $350 and then there was another one there with the same title except it was $450. The difference was that the $350 one said "OUTLET" underneath it... what does that mean??
Alright, just wanted to update you all. So I wanted a Telecaster. But now I found a used Fender Strat MIM for $250. It is basically brand new; the guy said he maybe played it for two hours and then never again. Its one of those situations where someone buys a new "toy" with all intentions of using it but they use it a few times then it just collects dust.

So, I really want a Tele. But a tele would break my bank but this strat I just found wouldnt.

Anyone have any input on this?

And if anyone could answer my question in my above post thatd be cool too.
The OUTLET is available in limited colours. lern2reed.

As for the strat vs. tele, how much are you saving per week?
Quote by Roast Beef
The OUTLET is available in limited colours. lern2reed.

As for the strat vs. tele, how much are you saving per week?

I can read... I just didnt see where it said that. And I still dont. Lol.

I can tell by the color selector though, theres only 2 options.

Well, Im not saving so much. Maybe like $50 a month?

And right now I dont think I could spend more than $400.
Well, since you've already got a squire strat why buy a MIM strat, especially if you really want a tele? Save up and buy the tele you really want
Quote by TylerB1717
Well, since you've already got a squire strat why buy a MIM strat, especially if you really want a tele? Save up and buy the tele you really want

Well, Im not sure. Im keep going back and forth with which guitar I want.

I doubt a Squier Strat could be compared with a MIM or MIA Strat anyways.

Im hoping to go to the guitar store tomorrow and check out what they have and make a decision.
Finally got a Vintage White Lite Ash Strat today!

MIK, pickups are all SD APS - great pups. Lovely neck, plays wonderful.
Costs the same as MIM, more or less.
Bloody good deal IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I recommend looking for a MIA Highway One Strat or Tele. They go for between $500-$700. Great looking and playing guitars, I have a HSS HWY1 Strat myself.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I recommend looking for a MIA Highway One Strat or Tele. They go for between $500-$700. Great looking and playing guitars, I have a HSS HWY1 Strat myself.

What does the highway 1 mean?
if you just want the standard strat then i'd get the MIM. i don't care much for MIA standard strats. i like the MIA reissue guitars and the deluxe guitars. that's when you really can tell a big difference.

of course all MIA guitars will have better necks, wood, finishes, etc... someone's probably going to disagree but i've played a good amount of both and mexi strats are garbage in quality.
Quote by aaronob
I can read... I just didnt see where it said that. And I still dont. Lol.

I can tell by the color selector though, theres only 2 options.

The question is asked and answered at once.

Quote by aaronob
Well, Im not saving so much. Maybe like $50 a month?

And right now I dont think I could spend more than $400.

See if you can get some short term finance from your mum or something. If she gets 55 interest free days on her credit card, that's at least another $50 you can extend your cash reserve by.
Quote by Roast Beef

See if you can get some short term finance from your mum or something. If she gets 55 interest free days on her credit card, that's at least another $50 you can extend your cash reserve by.

Nah... I dont really think theres any chance of that....

Im already $925 in debt to my parents.

But I dont think I have to pay it all off to them until August. So I can spend a few hundred.

It came up a few months ago when I wanted to get a new amp.... "No, we wont let you spend that money. You still owe us a thousand dollars!"
Ok, thought Id update this. Sorry for the double post.

I went to a used guitar store today.

He had a nice Fender Tele for $500. And he told me hed give it to me for $400.

And then I checked out the Gretschs too while I was there. I found a nice Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet that hes willing to give me for $250.... I think he thought I was unsure about it so he said hed throw in a gig bag as well.

Problem is I dont know much about Gretschs. Can anyone tell me anything about the particular I specified above? Thanks.
Quote by voteforpedro36
If end up with some more money, and can't decide between MIM or MIA, I say this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Roadhouse-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515525

But Gretsch is a respected brand, Electromatics are low end but supposedly still very good.

Well, they go for $490 at Guitar Center. Are they as good quality as a MIM Fneder Tele or Strat?