Page 1 of 2
I just got a new half stack and want to build a case for haulin it to gigs. Does anyone know of a site with good instructions on this, or any info on what materials to use.

The other big help would be where to find hardware such as handles, latches, corners ect. For good prices.

Thanks for all suggestions and help

Oh yeah in case anyone was wondering or needed more info I'm trying to make a case for an orange rockerverb 50 head and 412 cab.
erm. put wheels on the cab, and your good to go, No need to add excess weight.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
A case? Buy a mule!
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

You earned your name, pal.
Quote by adyingpassion
Wheels on orange cab!!!!??? What did u just say

what he said was
buy some fcking wheels
screw them to your fcking cabinet
all is donwhill from there...
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Cases are used it you are putting it on a plane. I am going to assume that you are not playing gigs across the country. The cab will be find with out a case.

It's going to get scratched you say... *insert my tears here*
THANKS SOO MUCH EVERYONE. Guess i can get rid of my guitar cases too and just put some ****ing wheels on them too, damn wheels seem to solve everything.

Hmm, I can see that you guys are nothing but a bunch of cocky, useless assholes.

I just asked if anyone had any insight on any websites with information or any tips.

Im sorry for spending around 3k on an amp and wanting to take care of it.

Actually I just want to look cool and roll into shows looking like a big shot with a big ass case.
I sure as hell wouldn't want a case to easily transport my whole stack in one case, or have room for all my cables and other gear neatly in one place.

No way! i'd rather make 5 trips carying in my cab, head, guitars, straps, extra strings, cables, tuner, etc.

Damn why would anyone want to save time loading and unloading considering its the funest ****ing part of a show.

Better yet if you don't have an answer why post something??? Why waste my time and your own???

Thanks again
way to be an asshole mate.

lets get a few things clear first:

1) can you carry your whole stack in one on your own? probably not, then consider putting it in a case is going to add to that weight.

2) these guys gave you the most practical advice possible here

3) if you want to find something on the internet then theres a lovely invention called "google.com" it allows you to type in a few words like say for example "guitar amp case" and you'll get every website in the world that has something to say about amplifier cases

4) my bass rig (2 basses + half stack + pedal board + spares) only takes me 10 minutes to unload at a venue

5) why don't you buy a case for your drummer as well so he can unload his rig in one go so you don't have to sit round waiting for him to set up

6) now i'm just ranting but i felt like adding a 6
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Feb 11, 2009,
Back to sanity? Most new cabs come with jackets to prevent little scratches. Wheels are okay if you play quiet. No? Then you'd need retracting wheels or a good trolley and hope you avoid the spiral staircase. My cab has brackets I can nail to the floor to stop it going for a walk. I kid you not.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

1) Well lets think about this, If I had one big case with wheels I could put my cab, head, and random accessories in it and just wheel everything in. It would just be more convenient.

2) Practical for whom? Maybe for them slapping wheels on everything works, but if I asked then obviously I must find having a case practical for me.

3) Your right, I did make a big mistake in asking someone here for help, and for thinking that maybe I could get some insight from some experienced people. Maybe some help from someone who has some insight or tips, or maybe a good sight for cheap hardware.

4) Yeah for you! Who cares how long it takes you to unload your setup. I would like a case to be a little more organized and to protect my gear a little better. And **** is going to happen but why not prevent damage if you can. Id rather spend my money on new gear then fixing broken ****. and i would also like to keep my new gear looking nice(shame on me).

5) Thats a good idea.

6) Obviously you have nothing better to do then rant

7) I thought this was the place to post about BUILDING gear. I saw the word building and since I was planning on building something I thought it be appropriate to post in the forum that said building.

again your not helping and you don't have any answers to my question so why post anything?
Lurcher +1 for being the only decent person and not being an ass and telling me to screw some damn wheels on my cab.
Quote by adyingpassion
Lurcher +1 for being the only decent person and not being an ass and telling me to screw some damn wheels on my cab.

Are you wanting to build one or buy one? I know there are ATA flight cases for most amps and cabs available on ebay. Some places will even custom make them for you.
I would buy one but there around $200+ u.s., and I could most likely build one for alot less.
it is generally the case (no pun intended) that building a case will cost far more than just buying one. Even buying a custom made case from a company that makes them is cheaper than building your own. Unless you happen to have all the appropriate wood and tools lying about, then it will cost a fortune to build.

If you want to build a cheap case, by all means go ahead, but dont expect it to last long. The current design of flight cases is a result of decades of rock and roll touring around the world, and that has proved that cheap, poorly made cases do not last. They fall apart, and end up being more hassle and more expensive to keep repairing than a well built case would have costed initially.

Another, slight side point. Other people have addressed this matter already, but I feel I should add some weight to the argument. Throwing everything into a single case might seem like a great idea at first, but weight and physical size soon make it impractical. Cases that are larger than a 412cab typically require two people to move them on anything that isnt a polished concrete floor. Add in uneen surfaces and corners to negotiate and you've got an accident waiting to happen. As for stairs or ramps- forget it! I know this from experience. I work in and around all shapes and sizes of cases.

Also, you mention cost being a factor. From my research into this area, it would cheaper to buy seperate cases than to buy one huge case for everything. Just another thing to think about.

What sort of transport do you have to move this thing about? Fitting a large case into a typical car would be a tight fit, and perhaps overload the suspension. Seperate cases means you can split the weight with band mates/parents etc.

Finally, a quick search on this forum, (and many very popular other ones too) revealed many people asking similar questions in the past, and listing the reasons against it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Sir, I was going to help you but you are indeed a huge asshole.

I do stand by get a jacket and put it on wheels.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by adyingpassion
THANKS SOO MUCH EVERYONE. Guess i can get rid of my guitar cases too and just put some ****ing wheels on them too, damn wheels seem to solve everything.

Hmm, I can see that you guys are nothing but a bunch of cocky, useless assholes.

I just asked if anyone had any insight on any websites with information or any tips.

Im sorry for spending around 3k on an amp and wanting to take care of it.

Actually I just want to look cool and roll into shows looking like a big shot with a big ass case.
I sure as hell wouldn't want a case to easily transport my whole stack in one case, or have room for all my cables and other gear neatly in one place.

No way! i'd rather make 5 trips carying in my cab, head, guitars, straps, extra strings, cables, tuner, etc.

Damn why would anyone want to save time loading and unloading considering its the funest ****ing part of a show.

Better yet if you don't have an answer why post something??? Why waste my time and your own???

Thanks again

i suggest you put wheels on the bottem of it

edit: no need to thank me
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Last edited by rancidryan at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by chuckflan333

+infinity

If your worried about lossing bass with the cab being raised off the stage/floor, then stick the wheels on the side. Roll it into position, then tip it back onto its base. Simple, but effective.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I find it funny how I'm the asshole when I asked a question and people would rather say crap then try and give any usable answer.

I didn't ask for anyones opinion on if I should build a case or not. I have my reasons for wanting to build a case, and I just don't understand why everyone would rather tell me not to build one then to actually be helpful.

And I really didn't understand the point that skater dan0, was trying to make with his little list of why I don't need a cab, when obviously what works for him wont work for everyone else. That just kind of pissed me off that he would list a bunch of crap that I easily corrected him on every so called point.

Cost is a factor but my thought was the wood used to construct the box and the little bit of foam padding, and hardware etc. wouldn't cost that much either. Plywood isn't too expensive and one site I found had case hardware for a few dollars. And as far as coating it, fiberglass wouldn't be too pricey either for coating. I guess we are finally getting somewhere. What other materials would be needed? Also I'm not sure how it would be cheaper to buy a case then it would be to make one. Whatever company makes the cases obviously has to make a profit so how could they do this if it cost them more to build the case than what they sell it for.

Thanks for the suggestion of multiple cases as well, I actually am looking to make multiple cases for my other gear, but I'm pretty set on one case for my cab and head. I would be using the case for a lot more than just transport. I keep my gear in my basement(also where we practice) and I would just feel safer if I could keep it in a case to keep from water damage or rodents chewing on any of my equip and etc. A cover would be ok, but if my basement floods then I'm sure my amp will have a little more damage than some scratches.

And for the last time, I have my own reasons for wanting a case. Im sorry if it pisses you off that I don't want to slap wheels on my cab, but I have thought about it and a case would be the best route for ME!...
Quote by chuckflan333

This man speaks the truth. Being an asshole does not help you get any more answers. I promise.

pull your head out of your ass and realize that this is a public forum, where people CHOOSE to help others.

More flies with honey, my friend.
------

Shwiggity.
Yeah I guess I forgot that this is a public forum, but I just expected more help than crap about wanting a case.

I agree that a jacket and wheels would be the cheapest and easiest way, but I have many reasons why I want a case, and didn't really see a need to make a huge list just to explain why I wanted to build a case.

Sorry for being a dickk, but I just expected more help and less criticism.

I apologize again for being so defensive, and I guess I'll just look elsewhere for help.

Thanks for the few good tips.
Quote by adyingpassion
I find it funny how I'm the asshole when I asked a question and people would rather say crap then try and give any usable answer. <snip>

A polite thanks, but no thanks is all that is needed really. You were that one that started the name calling here...

As for the plans or "instructions" for building a case, the best method is to get to a website that sells them, and get some detailed photos of the construction. Most website for flight case manufacturers have these somewhere. Just google it to get some. Start with "audiophile". they have some good closeups. Or you could email a manufacturer and pose as a customer looking for some pictures of a specific bit of a case, ie the hinge mechanism or lock. tell them you need the pictures so you can tell if the case you are "going to order" meets you requirements.

Sure the materials might not be much different in price, but do you have the tools to build this? Things can get expensive quickly if you have to buy the tools too. Thats why a custom case company can build them cheaper than you; they dont have to get the tools, and can buy the hardware in huge quantities to save some money. And I think you might find that proper flight case foam is more expensive than regular foam. Its very high density.
Quote by Dave_Mc

The construction is fairly simple, a big box. The main thing I was curious about is coating materials, how much material needed, what wood thickness, good adhesive etc. Proper flight case foam isn't necessary but suggestions on a good alternative would be nice.

The tip on asking a company for details photos is a really good idea that I will def. look into

I do have all the tools I could ever need at my access so that would be the major cost effective factor.
1/2 inch ply is pretty standard. Usually covered in some sort of thin plastic coating to help protect from knocks and scrapes. Some are just painted with many layers of hardwearing paint.

Joints should be made using aluminium extrusion (see websites for pictures of examples) for maximum strength, but if you cant, then glue and screw them all.

For a box of this size, I would recommend two handles on each side for easier lifting for two people. Even better is to put multiple sets of handles on, with one set rotated 90 degrees so the case can be tipped onto its back.
Quote by Dave_Mc

well i didn't read all the post completely through as some were quite long but this is the idea i had when i first read.

it sounds more to me like your looking for a protective case to protect the amp from any on the common bumps and bruises.(grill cloth punched in, tears of the tolex,etc), and not something to protect it from being thrown off the roof (flight case).

i had this idea. make some sort of the permanent base that it will sit on. pretty much just a piece of wood with some feet maybe(not attached to the amp in any way). then make a front and back half of a box with latches that could lock them together and then to the base. cover the inside with some soft material to prevent scratches and put some handles on and thats it.
so u get to a gig. set it down where it goes, undo the latches, take the halves apart and leave it sitting on the base. make it to fit the amp perfectly so it will make it only like 1 inch or so bigger(1/2 inch on all sides) and not take up much room. u can store some stuff inside the cab i guess. sounds like u wanted some storage.

anyways thats my thoughts. hope it helps. and hopefully the two halves thing it not hard to understand. its a bit trickey to explain lol

Gian
So you don't like people's advise. It still sounds like you want to build a box then. Boxes are pretty simple, 5 sides, and 1 that opens. So you are then asking for advise on how to build a box?
Personally, If I bought an Orange amp and head right now... I'd be pretty damn happy. But anyways, I would take the Cab that it's got already(if it werent orange) and I would assemble a new case for it, basically an amp, but a flight case. Then you could put some wheel mechanism thing that can lock down so your rolling or go up so it touches ground. Maybe attach the castors to a hinge and somehow make it so it doesn't collapse. You'd need to spend lots of money on tools for this(welder, grinder, metal saw, etc.)
If you have a foam store around, they can custom cut you a piece of foam to glue to the inside: I would suggest something like the inside of a hard rifle case (sort of like the pyramid foam used for soundproofing)
Building a case for your head is actually a good idea, I will admit that. I was transporting my mixer in a covered pickup truck. (note the covered bit: covered with an aluminum bed-top. I wasn't dumb enough not to cover it.) And it bounced around just enough that it cracked a solder joint with the master volume pot. When I got to practice, I found that my mixer wouldn't work. What a pleasant suprise, right?
On the other hand, if you have your amp on your lap or on the padded seat next to you, it'll be fine. Unless you get in to a car accident. Then it won't be fine.
And building a case for you cabinet isn't the best of ideas. Unless you're going across the country, don't worry about it. It will just make the cab more difficult than it already is. (My cab weighs 100 pounds to begin with- no joke. I dunno if this is a standard weight, or if it's an obscurity because I haven't picked up any other cabs) The case will, most likely end up adding another 50 pounds due to the amount of plywood, stainless steel brackets, and inside support that you would end up having on that case. Speakers, also, are amazingly durable. And so are the cabinets they're held in: there are very few solder joints (or at least far less than in the amp head) to break, and the speakers are very soundly held in to the frame, many times with a piece of plywood thicker than the outside casing itself. (I've seen cabs that held the speakers against a 1" piece of ply)

And one last remark: being an ass hole doesn't help anyone.

EDIT: and if you're smart and can get all of the parts for a good price, then this actually /is/ economical. If you don't.... then you're ****ed, and you'll spend 500 dollars.
Last edited by Emoishboy at Feb 12, 2009,
My dad works at a metal fab shop so I have access to all the tool imaginable, and a great discount on supplies, or I would just buy one.

I would be using the case alot for protection against moisture and other crap that can get to my amp and cab while its in my basement and I'm not playing.

Im also looking to make a case for my mixer which would also double as a stand.

gian133- The two halves idea sounds really good. A little more difficult to make sure its sturdy but would be extremely easy fast for setting up.

PainIsPower- I was looking for advise on materials to use such as coating, foam, hinges, etc. and where I could buy them.
yea probably a little more difficult to build but real easy setup.

have you heard of antique electronic supply. they have all amp parts and stuff that you might be interested in. the site it www.tubesandmore.com you could probably make it sweet and cover it with tolex to match the amp inside.

also u would obvously use latches to connect everything together. i have a gator rack case for my pa amp and effects and stuff. the latches are very strong on that. i dont know if you have seen what they look like but if you can find something similar that would probably be good to use.

hope that helps
Gian
My Ampeg S-40(it's from 70's) weighs like 200 pounds. They didn't really care about the customers backs, and hands, legs, toes, feet... It's really heavy, but the power it has is incredible.when storig in your bsement just put a pice of plywood under it and get your jacket and put it on, that's the cheap way... My way! You Can't Have IT!
thanks for the site, The tolex idea would look awesome. http://starcase.com/ has alot of hardware too. Ill post some pictures of the build once I start. I think I will build the PA rack first so I can get it off the mini fridge. haha
haha u should build the mini fridge into the rack and bring it to shows. that would be nice and convienint.

im lookin forward to pictures. and thanks for that site

Gian
Haha, Yeah that would be sweet if it didnt weigh a ton.

Hopefully Ill get started this weekend and get some pics up.

Heres the base I have done so far. 3/8 in plywood, steel braced corners, and slide out drawer. Top shelf is recessed to the size of my mixer.

I just spray painted it with black and grey I had laying around.

Going to coat with some fiberglass for durability then I have an order for racmount rails and orange tolex.

Also mounting a surge protection power-strip in the bottom with a back hatch access, a large storage drawer in the bottom, and then all thats left is the lids, handles and corners.
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here and say, I honestly don't think that you should go with a "half stack" case. I hauled a Marshall Halfstack to and from shows, and back when I had a Jeep Cherokee, I could barely fit the amp into the truck. The biggest issue is going to be space. Unless you've got a van/tailer big enough to hold it, then it's not an issue.

As far as construction goes: you're going to need to make sure that that box is built ****ing well. You want this case for protection, but think about this: you've got a 60-80lbs cabinet plus a 40-60lbs amp head inside of a wooden box that you're building to haul it around in. That is ALOT of pressure on those joints, you've gotta make sure that those joints stay in place. Even most ATA cases are head/cabinet separate for this very reason. If that case were to break while you were loading/unloading the amp into a van/trailer, I think it would do more damage than if the amp weren't in the case to begin with.

Also, if you're going to have your head and cabinet in the same case and the case gets bumped and jostled around, that head is going to bounce in that case on top of the cabinet. The head being in a separate, well protected, well insulated case is going to be a much better idea than have it all in one box.

There's also the weight issue. If you load all your pedals and cables (say about 20lbs worth) your head and your amp into a single box, you're talking about a box that's going to hold 120-160lbs of stuff, plus the box's weight, which if built right, should weigh around 20lbs or more, itself. I'm not 100% sure that an almost 200lbs giant box would be any more convenient than everything separate.

The mixer case is pure genius, though.

But, a neat idea would be if you built your case with casters on the bottom, so that once you got the amp out of the trailer/van, you could wheel it to just about anywhere and simply take the top off and you'll have your amp right there.

There are several reasons that things are done the way they are, and you don't have to get all assholey to us because we know why/how things are done now and you want to do them differently, even though we're presenting the reasons to you.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Thanks for the suggestions, and I understand the weight issue and joint integrity issue, but the case would serve more as safekeeping than for transporting. I'm sure I've mentioned this before but this thread has gotten to big for anyone to read the whole thing. I currently have our practice space in my basement which I would just feel safer if my stack was completely enclosed, and I may be moving my gear to a warehouse(my dad owns) and would like a case so no one could mess with my gear.

The mixer case came out really sturdy and surprisingly lighter than I thought. Im still waiting for the tolex to cover the outside and the extrusion angle for the corners, but that shouldn't add more than a pound or two at the most.
I'm kind of loosing touch with the case idea. Earlier in the thread, you were talking about how you wanted the case so you could transport everything at once... now you just want it to cover your stuff while you're not using it?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
try a dolley and some rope if the wheels on it are no good and some ply wood arond the dolly only about a ft high and some cables to hold it in if u want some security on it best thing i can think of besides wheelson the cab
smacking bone kydd
Page 1 of 2