i put together a list of pedals i want to get. my qualifications:

1. not sound like total ****.
2. sound pretty decent/do their job.
3. be of decent price.

now, my question is, do any of these really suck ass and I just don't know it?

exception: the Behringer Shifter. i don't want to spend a crapload of cash on a pedal i won't use too often, i'd rather spend the $60 on a decent pedal. hopefully it isn't too horrible?

Behringer Slow Motion SM200
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
ElectroHarmonix Stereo Pulsar
Behringer Ultra Shifter/Harmonist US600
MXR M109 6-Band Graphic Equalizer
Guyatone ST-2 Compression/Sustainer
Electro-Harmonix Classics Holy Grail Reverb
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
i have the small clone and got it off ebay really cheap and i think it is brilliant. it is a one trick pony but it does the trick pretty damn well. i would say best way to go for your first chorus.
Throw out the Behringer stuff.

Guyatone is OK.

EHX is good; not a lot of features, but good sound.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Quote by joe_k
i have the small clone and got it off ebay really cheap and i think it is brilliant. it is a one trick pony but it does the trick pretty damn well. i would say best way to go for your first chorus.

yeah i was pretty confident in the small clone. i've played off it once before and i enjoyed it.

Quote by VisionaryTics
Throw out the Behringer stuff.

right. show me a Slow Motion-effect pedal that is still being made, and a whammy pedal or harmonist that doesn't have a retardedly high price tag.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Last edited by DiveRightIn63 at Feb 10, 2009,
there is just something about the exh pedals that kind of fuse with your tone rather then just adding on top of it. i have heard there are better versions of the holy grail than the classic one though. maybe look into the other versions.
Well berhinger is pretty bad quality, but I suppose it gets the job done
the rest of the pedals are great though
Quote by joe_k
there is just something about the exh pedals that kind of fuse with your tone rather then just adding on top of it. i have heard there are better versions of the holy grail than the classic one though. maybe look into the other versions.

well, the reverbs seem to get pretty expensive, and it is probably one of the least important effects to me, and the classic was the cheapest.

Quote by Sguit
Well berhinger is pretty bad quality, but I suppose it gets the job done
the rest of the pedals are great though

I chose the Slow Motion because Boss Slow Gear isn't even made, and the used ones are expensive. Harmonists and Shifters are also pretty expensive for an effect I just want to play with.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Most of those are excellent choices for someone just getting into effects, since it appears you have actually done a bit of research. However, here's my input.

I think with the Behringer Slow Motion, I'm guessing that's a copy of the Boss SG-1 Slow Gear, in which case, it's basically an auto-volume pedal. I would recommend either going the BYOC (build your own clone) version, as it is an EXACT copy of the Boss with true bypass, and sounds great, or getting an Ernie Ball VP JR and doing it manually.

I personally HATE the Small Clone with a passion and recommend that you go either a Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus or a Maxon Stereo Chorus instead, the extra money is justified on something that doesn't sound similar to a beaver in heat. The Stereo Pulsar is a good call though.

From what I have heard of it, the Behringer Shifter seems like a great pedal FOR THE COST, meaning it doesn't compete with something like a Digitech Whammy, but does a great job of pitchshifting for its price. and would be a good initial pitchshifter.

Other than those, very good choices.

IncuEdit: About the reverb comments, the Holy Grail Classic will be fine, theres no jusitifcation for you buying a Holier Grail or whatever if you are going to just use it for simple reverb and not studio recordings, there's no need to fork out heaps more for something you won't need. Also, I think you should seriously consider getting an OD like the Maxon OD-9, Fulltone OCD or Xotic AC booster.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by IncubusMan999
Most of those are excellent choices for someone just getting into effects, since it appears you have actually done a bit of research. However, here's my input.

That I have, haha.

Quote by IncubusMan999
I think with the Behringer Slow Motion, I'm guessing that's a copy of the Boss SG-1 Slow Gear, in which case, it's basically an auto-volume pedal. I would recommend either going the BYOC (build your own clone) version, as it is an EXACT copy, and sounds great, or getting an Ernie Ball VP JR and doing it manually.

I had seriously considered doing the BYOC, but the Slow Motion is very inexpensive, and I'm not good at circuits and stuff, and I'd rather have an autovolume than an expression pedal.

Quote by IncubusMan999
I personally HATE the Small Clone with a passion and recommend that you go either a Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus or a Maxon Stereo Chorus instead, the extra money is justified on something that doesn't sound similar to a beaver in heat. The Stereo Pulsar is a good call though.

While I trust those sound great, I can't afford those prices.

Quote by IncubusMan999
From what I have heard of it, the Behringer Shifter seems like a great pedal FOR THE COST, meaning it doesn't compete with something like a Digitech Whammy, but does a great job of pitchshifting for its price. and would be a good initial pitchshifter.

Yeah, the price is definitely the most appealing. The Digitech Whammy is way out of my (low) price range. On an upside, I've heard that the Behringer handles polyphony better than the Whammy. Not sure for myself though.

Quote by IncubusMan999
IncuEdit: About the reverb comments, the Holy Grail Classic will be fine, theres no jusitifcation for you buying a Holier Grail or whatever if you are going to just use it for simple reverb and not studio recordings, there's no need to fork out heaps more for something you won't need. Also, I think you should seriously consider getting an OD like the Maxon OD-9, Fulltone OCD or Xotic AC booster.

Would those significantly help? I already really like my 5150's dirty sound.

Really appreciate your help, man.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Last edited by DiveRightIn63 at Feb 10, 2009,
i gave the behringer pedals a shot and i can tell you firsthand that they're nothing to write home about. you're better off checking out ebay or finding a clone.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
i gave the behringer pedals a shot and i can tell you firsthand that they're nothing to write home about. you're better off checking out ebay or finding a clone.

did you try the two i suggested?

regardless, thanks for the input.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Quote by DiveRightIn63
That I have, haha.

You'd be surprised with the lack of research people have done on here sometimes.

Quote by DiveRightIn63
I had seriously considered doing the BYOC, but the Slow Motion is very inexpensive, and I'm not good at circuits and stuff, and I'd rather have an autovolume than an expression pedal.

Fair enough, that's a good reason, and something I thought you might say. The other two options I could think of is getting a pre-made BYOC pedal (or get me to put it together for you, either way ) or you could look at a SG-1 clone that Guyatone makes, apparently it's very good. Essentially, the only people who buy the SG-1 are purists anyway.

Quote by DiveRightIn63
While I trust those sound great, I can't afford those prices.

Once again, fair enough. Remember though, that it's my opinion that states that the Small Clone sucks ass, if you liked it, please ignore me , it's your rig after all. Personally, I would also say that the Boss Super Chorus is probably the only good thing Boss still make, though some would disagree. Have you also considered getting this stuff from EBay, it is MUCH cheaper.

Quote by DiveRightIn63
Yeah, the price is definitely the most appealing. The Digitech Whammy is way out of my (low) price range. On an upside, I've heard that the Behringer handles polyphony better than the Whammy. Not sure for myself though.

In that case, definitely get the Behringer one, and yes, it does do some things just as well as the Whammy, from what I have heard, still have to play it yet. THough I think you shuld most definitely get an exp pedal for the Behringer if you get it.

Quote by DiveRightIn63
Would those significantly help? I already really like my 5150's dirty sound.

Really appreciate your help, man.

Definitely mate. You could use it for a gain/volume boost for solos and to tighten up your rhythm, especially for heavier music, plus they give you the ohter option of a nice crunch that comes in handy for any clean chord-work you have to do.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Fair enough, that's a good reason, and something I thought you might say. The other two options I could think of is getting a pre-made BYOC pedal (or get me to put it together for you, either way ) or you could look at a SG-1 clone that Guyatone makes, apparently it's very good. Essentially, the only people who buy the SG-1 are purists anyway.

Yeah I saw the Guyatone one, but I heard that it really isn't worth the money in comparison to the Behringer. I suppose I'll just have to try to find a way to test them.

Quote by IncubusMan999
Once again, fair enough. Remember though, that it's my opinion that states that the Small Clone sucks ass, if you liked it, please ignore me , it's your rig after all. Personally, I would also say that the Boss Super Chorus is probably the only good thing Boss still make, though some would disagree. Have you also considered getting this stuff from EBay, it is MUCH cheaper.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the BOSS.. And I've been looking on eBay but they go for like $30-40, usually with a $10+ shipping fee, and I could probably talk Guitar Center down to like $60 for a new one so I've been holding back on eBay.

Quote by IncubusMan999
In that case, definitely get the Behringer one, and yes, it does do some things just as well as the Whammy, from what I have heard, still have to play it yet. THough I think you shuld most definitely get an exp pedal for the Behringer if you get it.

I'm not completely sure how the expression pedal idea works. Do I need to buy a Behringer expression pedal, or any kind?

Quote by IncubusMan999
Definitely mate. You could use it for a gain/volume boost for solos and to tighten up your rhythm, especially for heavier music, plus they give you the ohter option of a nice crunch that comes in handy for any clean chord-work you have to do.

Oh, never heard that. I'll have to look in to that.. I've heard of a couple pedals you mentioned so I trust in their quality. I'll just have to look for a used one or something. Also, I just checked a thread below about the Fulltone, and someone said that it can be pretty trebley which thins out the tone.. is this true? I hate the trebley kinds of tones. I'm thinking they're just not setting it up right?

Thanks again for the help.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Last edited by DiveRightIn63 at Feb 11, 2009,
Behringer gets a bad rap and I think over half of the people dogging their products have never used one. Remember, people who have had a bad experience with a company often complain much louder than those who were satisfied. I've had terrible luck with DigiTech single effect pedals but I know many people who absolutely love them.

I have a couple of Behringer products and have never have any issues with them. I bought the VH-1 when my Big Muff Pi was stolen and I didn't have the cash to replace it. The VH-1 sounded so good that I never bothered to replace it. After almost three years of gigging with it, it still works like a charm. I bought a UO100 Ultra Octaver just to have one to mess around with. It behaves much like octavers I've tried since. I have a VAmp 2 I received as a gift several years ago that still works fine. BTW, it is more of a practice tool/toy than actual stage gear. I also have a BTR2000 2 channel rack mount tuner/metronome that has been in my gig rig for about three years with no trouble.

Behringer has cool pedals at great prices. If you just want to try an effect and are not sure it will stay in your set-up, why not buy a $30-40 pedal to try out rather than spend $150 for a possible future doorstop? You can always pass on down the line later. There is a Danelectro Black Coffee Distortion pedal that I think just about every one of my friends has had at one time or another. It was cheap, it's just okay but every once in while someone will mod it and pass it back around. It has also been a White Elephant gift a few times.
Last edited by MT in Austin at Feb 11, 2009,
The EHX, MXR and Guyatone stuff you have listed is all pretty good. The Behringer stuff gets a bad rap, but the pedals I've used and owned were OK...especially for the price. And if you will hardly use the effect I don't see why you wouldn't go with the cheaper option.
MT and Eyebanez, thanks a lot. I wasn't sure if it got more **** than it deserves (like Digitech at times) or if they really just sucked.

I came together with a list of the pedals I'm not sure about:

OVERDRIVE/BOOST - Fulltone OCD vs Ibanez TS9
EQ - MXR 6-Band vs BOSS 7-band (does the BOSS suck tone? i've had bad BOSS experiences..)
COMPRESSOR - Guyatone Comp vs MXR Dynacomp

Can you guys give me some opinions? I'm gonna try them all out (at least, all that I can) regardless, but I want to know if I'm completely wasting my time trying to get a hold of one to test.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Last edited by DiveRightIn63 at Feb 11, 2009,
Small Clone is ok.

MXR - is ok - need 12 really.

Holy Grail is ok - some much better - some nice in amps.
nobody mentions it much but if you can find an Arion sch-1 stereo chorus in a junk shop they're an AMAZING chorus that nobody really appreciates. go for £80 on ebay and i got mine for about 15 quid, its an early 80s discontinued company who were based in japan. Just food for thought
Pacman of the UG Hero's and Villians club
Quote by Lex Davids
nobody mentions it much but if you can find an Arion sch-1 stereo chorus in a junk shop they're an AMAZING chorus that nobody really appreciates. go for £80 on ebay and i got mine for about 15 quid, its an early 80s discontinued company who were based in japan. Just food for thought

i actually saw one of those on STL Craigslist for a looong time and figured it was trash cause it had been for sale for so long.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...