I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I want to put new pick ups in it. I don't where to start when it comes to pick ups so i need your help here. I play classic rock, hard rock mainly with a little blues and metal every now and then. Budget is around 200 CAD. preferrably but can go up to 400 if its worth it.
what don't you like about the stock pups? they're really nice
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by TheGoalie64
I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I want to put new pick ups in it. I don't where to start when it comes to pick ups so i need your help here. I play classic rock, hard rock mainly with a little blues and metal every now and then. Budget is around 200 CAD. preferrably but can go up to 400 if its worth it.

I'd definitely send bareknuckle pickups an email

EDIT: what amp you running through?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Feb 10, 2009,
just looking for a change, my dad has a les paul standard that he lets me play all the time with the stock gibsons ones so i thought i would try something different on mine. and thanks ill send him one.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
what don't you like about the stock pups? they're really nice

eh, not really.

i second the bareknuckles motion.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
bareknuckles are real nice but way too expensive imo. I paid 320 i think for mine to put in my sg faded. i don't really remember it was a while ago. but when you do email them tell them your rig and what sound you want and they are very helpful. I don't find a problem with the stock pups in the studio but you could try dimarzio's
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by TheGoalie64
hey theortic how do you like emg's in your les paul?

I like them, although I don't play metal. Mine are coil-tapping, so they're a bit more versatile than regular EMGs, but unless you play exclusively metal, I wouldn't recommend getting EMGs unless you have another guitar with passives.

Nodody asked what your amp is. What is it?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Kent Armstrong, most underrated pickup on the market.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
I'd say JB for the bridge or a 57 classic, and a jazz for the neck. Or maybe a PAF pro for the neck.
Bare Knuckles
Motor City
Joe Barden
Seth Lovers
Tom Holmes (REALLY Damn expensive though)
Mojave Amp Works (A nice clone of the Holmes pickups)
My experience with a les paul.... Seymour Duncan JBs do not sound good in them, low end is just way too muddy and the high end is just too piercing, but I do like the SD '59, Antiquities and Seth Lovers.

I'd pick up a set of Lollars or WCRs over a set of Bareknuckles 10 times out of 10 for PAF style pickups. Bareknuckles high output humbuckers are good, but for their lower output offerings, there are many better options.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 11, 2009,
What Amp Are You Using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Swineshead awesome pickups, I've got then in my SG and handle classic rock very well (Runaway at the bridge, Condor at the neck) www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...