Right, so, I am going to buy a TS9DX, and a Metal Muff tomorrow. They will be plugged into a Blackstar HT-5 (with this new m-108 eq I'm holding :>. The TS9DX I will buy for sure. My question, how metal can it get using the lead channel? for lets say, amp cranked half way, and all the way. Do I need the Metal Muff for stuff like Panthera's tone? Or just for death metal etc?

Thanks
As a rule (although I have no experience with the Blackstar) 5w tube amps don't do metal very well on their own. Maybe Sabbath-type metal can be achieved with the TS9, but for Pantera you're gonna need a SS Randall but the MM can do a decent job.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Don't get a Metal Muff, dude. The fact that it says Metal on the cover doesn't make it a good pedal.

I'd go for a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. It's a better OD than the TS9DX (overrated, IMO), and its a much better Disto than the Muff. Plus it's $150, so you'll save some cash.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I said the OD over the dirty channel, not the the Distortion... And the Blackstar is supposed to be top notch Anyway, thanks, I guess I'll get the MM.

I cannot find a Jekyll and Hyde to save my life, I've tried. Plus I am not getting the MM because it has Metal in its name, I'm getting it based on lots of reading and listening.
Last edited by Mosho2 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by ldnovelo
you can't use a distortion over a dirty channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ULtbswzdc

check it. he kinda explains the uses for OD and Dist. Those are not the pedlas you want, but youll get the idea.
This video gets across most of the point of not using hard pedals over an amp's own distortion, though he gets a few things wrong. The difference between overdrive and distortion isn't just 'light gain/heavy gain', they're different types of signal clipping and they react in different ways. There's also no technical reason why you shouldn't use distortion pedals over the amp's distortion but you could use a lightly-set overdrive pedal on it - really it's just because amp distortion + pedal distortion rarely sounds nice.

And the idea of "always put the amp to a clean channel THEN PUT ALL YOUR PEDALS ON MAXED OUT BRUTAL SOLO GUYS!" is awful. You really shouldn't combined overdrive, fuzz or distortion pedals like that, especially if you're cranking them all the way.

As far as OP's question goes, it depends on a number of things. What pickups do you use? Higher-output pickups can naturally drive an amp harder than lower-output ones. Just how much do you intend to crank the amp on a regular basis? Would you be willing to use an EQ in place of high-output pickups to boost your signal and drive the amp harder? Do you want the ability to quickly shut off or lower the level of distortion?

There's no clear cut yes/no answer to any rig set up. You need to think about how you use your gear, and what you are comfortable doing. If you never need quick access to a clean tone and want a really heavy overdrive all the time then high-oputput pickups and the amp's own gain should be more than enough for you. On the other hand if you want harsh distortion with a little fuzz and you also need quick access to a good clean, then pedals are a much better way to go.

Though for what it's worth, I do agree with various people that pedals with 'metal' in the name tend to be awful. Also in my experience all pedals with 'muff' in the name are ****e too...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by Mosho2
I said the OD over the dirty channel, not the the Distortion... And the Blackstar is supposed to be top notch Anyway, thanks, I guess I'll get the MM.

I cannot find a Jekyll and Hyde to save my life, I've tried. Plus I am not getting the MM because it has Metal in its name, I'm getting it based on lots of reading and listening.

you really need to compare it to something else before you pull the trigger. IMO, it's just a buzz box.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I have one dimarzio pickup, dunno what model, on the bridge, and a kent armstrong jp-10 on the neck. I don't really need fast access to clean tones. It's my own apartment, so I can crank it as much as I want. I'm pretty new to this. I'm from Israel, and gear is very expensive there, so I'm taking this opportunity (I'm on vacation in Canada) to get everything I will need in the near future. Which is why I need to consult you guys about lots of stuff :P

Thanks alot for your help