I was at the local L&M today waiting for the sale guy I deal with.
Figured I'd go check out their Gibson guitars. I pick up a nice Black Custom, sit down and strum a few chords. An older man, kinda red-necky, comes by with his two young sons and the kids say "it's gone." Referring to the Custom in my hands. I get up and say "nope...it's right here, here you go."

The dad tells me that he just bought one identical to it...made in China. I said "a Gibson made in China, eh?" He says back "yup, looks just like that one. Bought it for my son. It came from China, paid $700 for it."

I look at the price tag on the one I was holding...$2,600, used...and thought to myself "if you only knew..."

So...what would you have done in my shoes, honestly?

I was moments away from opening up the flood gates and pouring out the knowledge stored in my brain. Explaining how his Chinese Gibson is nothing like the real one in my hands, that he got taken, and that he could have bought a real Gibson LP VM for that much money. But, I did not. The man had such a huge hillbilly smile on his face and was obviously so happy that he was able to buy his son a "Gibson" that I just couldn't burst his bubble. All I said was "huh..." put the Custom back on the rack and walked away.

The damage has already been done. If I did tell him, what could the man do...
Send it back? I doubt that's an option.
Curse himself for getting ripped off. $700 for a fake? Jeez, those pieces of crap are listed for around $300.
Try and pawn it off to an unsuspecting buyer?

I just walked away and considered myself fortunate.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
I wouldn't of told him either. They'll probably never know the difference and they'll be happier that way. In my opinion you did the right thing.
Feed your mind.
I would have told him. He'll probably find out sooner or later. If he just bought it, maybe he would still have a chance to return it....I don't know
you're not supposed to do anything, you're supposed to say "nice deal" and leave him be
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
I hate seeing people sad when I'm the cause, so I probably would've done the same as you did, TS. I never understood how these kinds of people can feel good about themselves though, knowing they're tarnishing good brands while ripping off innocent people who just don't know enough.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Yeah, just leave him be. If they're not hardcore gear *****s, they'll be happy with what they have.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
You never tell him. You say really, I wish I could afford a guitar that nice, maybe I can someday.

Who cares if the guitar is fake, you have yet to have seen it. It could be perfectly legit and he made a great deal - until you've seen his guitar and noticed the flaws you have to believe everything he says about it.

If you tell him - he gets upset and thinks you're a liar.

If you don't eventually his son will see the difference or perhaps it plays just as well and you're not the bad guy.
Last edited by dacopenhagen at Feb 10, 2009,
You did the right thing.If you had told him you would have simultaneously seen the smiles die on the faces of him and his kids.Best not to sh*t on someones happiness and leave them misinformed.You could have slyly suggested something like "Next time you buy a Gibson go for a model from their American factory because they're higher quality and sound better" just to vaguely steer the guy away from potential fakes in the future.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I have a couple chinese guitars that I think are fantastic. Who knows, maybe the fake plays well. It won't sound good cause the Chinese guitars always have **** electronics, but sometimes they feel nice.
the ones made in china must be decent because alot of people, including seasond guitarists, cant tell them appart

plus it would have been a major buzzkill for the little kid if you said it was a fake, nevermind the father
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I get in situations like that alot. I end up being a knowitall ass. See my recent profile comments.

edit: ^Control Panel at top of forums
Edit Signature
Be Creative
Preview and Save Sig
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Feb 11, 2009,
As depressing as it is, do you really wanna be the dick head who told this guy the guitar he bought his son is just a cheap knock off and that he really shouldn't be so proud? You were a good person for not saying anything, you coulda broke his/his kids heart by saying that.
wouldve kept quiet and moved on, no reason to burst the guys bubble
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
If he can't tell the difference it doesn't matter to him. Telling him would just be elitist.
I would like to see the person who would do the opposite of what you did and kick him in the shins.
maybe he bought an epiphone les paul custom instead seeing as how they look similar its easy to say oh this looks like that so it must be that. thats what my guess is.
Buying something without knowing what it is is even worse than getting scammed
Quote by Mayonaise 812
maybe he bought an epiphone les paul custom instead seeing as how they look similar its easy to say oh this looks like that so it must be that. thats what my guess is.

im hoping this

its making me pissed at bootleggers actually

ignorance is bliss
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by Firebread
I wouldn't of told him either. They'll probably never know the difference and they'll be happier that way. In my opinion you did the right thing.

Yes,

He'll find out one day
Maybe it was just an Epiphone and so probably a pretty nice 700 dollar guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I would say. He probably wouldn't tell the diference and there was no point on making him and his sons sad
You can see this from two different perspectives:

- the dad probably got it from ebay or similar source, not knowing what most people already know and have been warned of: counterfeit products coming from China. In this case, he is a victim and perhaps you should have told him to go to police to explain the situation. As I read, not only selling but even owning a counterfeit product is not legal at all.

- the dad got what he deserved from buying chinese sh*t, eh, "products" just for the money he would save, instead of buying american-made guitars and supporting their own industry.

Still, another consideration:

Is it possible, by any chance, that this guy purchased a "Gibson" Epiphone LP made in China? Perhaps he is not an expert and can't see the difference. But in such case at least it would be good for them.
I wouldn't have said anything. If the dad didn't know, the kids didn't know, and they'll placebo into getting mad skillz.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Mayonaise 812

Dood i really hope so.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by dynamo0
- the dad got what he deserved from buying chinese sh*t, eh, "products" just for the money he would save, instead of buying american-made guitars and supporting their own industry.

That is one of the most ignorant, narrow-minded things i've seen posted in this thread.
Quote by Pac_man0123
That is one of the most ignorant, narrow-minded things i've seen posted in this thread.

word
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by dynamo0

Yo it's called freedom of choice (main reason the big 3 car makers tanked)
Quote by Pac_man0123

Yes yes...

What is worst, the chinese low/bad quality products selling everywhere in the world, or people who buy that sh*tty quality just to save some bucks.

I'll tell you what is EVEN worst: the american guy who lost his job because his company moved production overseas, paying 1/5 of his salary to people who will also work 10-12 hours a day.

Now who is the ignorant?

BTW: Unfortunately I DO work for an american company that likes to outsource as much as it can. And indians are the lucky ones who don't have any holidays at all and monthly earn the money I get in a day.
my friend found a chinese les paul that had gibson on the headstock. he called it the "lesser paul" it was a gorgeous guitar that I was convinced was a gibson until he told me otherwise, and it played as well as any gibson ive played. might as well get the "gibson name" and have the quality of a gibson without paying the big $$$$ for it. i wouldnt feel bad about it. i wouldve let him be happy and never told him otherwise
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
it's kind of funny, in the 70's, a similar thing was going on. Japanese companies were manufacturing higher quality products than the American companies that were straight up copies of the American guitars... to the very screws in some cases. I think in 20-30 years, we'll be seeking these messed up "Gibsons" on Ebay.

I personally would have said something along the lines of, "actually, those Chinese "Gibsons" are copies made illegitimately as copies, I've heard they can be good guitars, though." You know, tell him the truth, but sugar coat it a little.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by dynamo0
Yes yes...

What is worst, the chinese low/bad quality products selling everywhere in the world, or people who buy that sh*tty quality just to save some bucks.

I'll tell you what is EVEN worst: the american guy who lost his job because his company moved production overseas, paying 1/5 of his salary to people who will also work 10-12 hours a day.

Now who is the ignorant?

BTW: Unfortunately I DO work for an american company that likes to outsource as much as it can. And indians are the lucky ones who don't have any holidays at all and monthly earn the money I get in a day.

Guitars manufacturers are different from a lot of other companies. Guitars are made everywhere. Yes, the companies outsource, but they also produce guitars in America. They are not solely made in China. I'm sure no one got laid off when guitar companies began outsourcing. They just wanted to make more affordable guitars available. American guitars are still very readily available if you want one and have the money for one. Chinese fakes are a different story though. I don't support that at all. But copyright guitars are kind of cool if done right like an Ibanez Les Paul.

Quote by Thomme
it's kind of funny, in the 70's, a similar thing was going on. Japanese companies were manufacturing higher quality products than the American companies that were straight up copies of the American guitars... to the very screws in some cases. I think in 20-30 years, we'll be seeking these messed up "Gibsons" on Ebay.

But there's a difference. Those Japanese Gibsons didn't say Gibson on them. And they've become rare since they stopped making them a long time ago. That's why people seek them. They're good quality and they're rare.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Guitars manufacturers are different from a lot of other companies. Guitars are made everywhere. Yes, the companies outsource, but they also produce guitars in America. They are not solely made in China. I'm sure no one got laid off when guitar companies began outsourcing. They just wanted to make more affordable guitars available. American guitars are still very readily available if you want one and have the money for one. Chinese fakes are a different story though. I don't support that at all. But copyright guitars are kind of cool if done right like an Ibanez Les Paul.

I agree with your point. I am not saying that all chinese-made things are bad. But I really don't like to see them lowering quality in materials and craftmanship just to sell more.

And regarding chinese fakes, which unfortunately seem to be spreading, indeed once I saw and played a fake Epiphone SG (G-400). It was obvious because it said "made in China" at a time when they mostly produced in Korea. But even worst, on the headstock it just said "EPI" and not "Epiphone" in Gibson-style characters. The difference was that the owner had purchased it new from a local, well-known music store!!! It was so badly manufactured that there were several dead notes and unaligned frets.

It was scary and since that I sistematically avoid chinese products (still I love chinese food and well, most electronic gadgets are made in China so what else can we do ).