Page 1 of 4
I used the search bar and there seemed to be nothing like this, but correct me if I'm wrong please. Basically this is a thread for lovers of Boss pedals to come out and just make small talk or what ever, from which Boss you should buy, or what you love about em, or what Boss Pedals you have. And please refrain from just out right insulting those who use Boss if you dont like em, your set up just might not sound good with Boss.

I'll start by announcing my new rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 212R
Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone in case I need to break out in a serious lead.
My Rig-
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncans) {My Baby ^_^}
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
i got th boss metal zone mt-2 and it is sexyyyy i also have the boss power supply & mater switch which i never used yet cause i only have one pedal:P what should i get to add to my collection?
does Boss deserve an ONLY thread............ the only Boss i like are their delays and nothing else.........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by RisingFreedom09
. And please refrain from just out right insulting those who use Boss if you dont like em, your set up just might not sound good with Boss.

No setups sound good with all Boss (unless you put them through some seriously awesome amps.

They do a fairly good job of time-based effects but all the new gen. Boss pedals have something wrong with them soundwise. I can't fault them on their reliability however, but subsequently, I say the same about 99.5% of pedals I've tried.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Well they are one of the most respected companies in the buisness... Whether you like em or not
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by RisingFreedom09
Well they are one of the most respected companies in the buisness... Whether you like em or not

Also one of the most over-priced and THE most over-rated (excluding maybe Digitech)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by -x-ERic-x-
i got th boss metal zone mt-2 and it is sexyyyy i also have the boss power supply & mater switch which i never used yet cause i only have one pedal:P what should i get to add to my collection?

I recommend working on getting a bad ass amp. Boss really shines with great amps. But if you really only need the sound from your metal zone, then boss has done their job
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
You think boss shines with a good amp, and you're using a FM212? Try throwing a DS-1 into a nice tube amp, and you'll see what they were made for. Such a fun pedal.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by IncubusMan999
Also one of the most over-priced and THE most over-rated (excluding maybe Digitech)

Sound is preference dude. If you dont like em, you dont like em
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
I have a bad feeling about this. Boss makes a few decent pedals, but I think this thread will turn into a Metal Zone or MetalCore fanclub for 13 year olds.

Real shame, it had potential.

TS: if you really want to make an Ultimate Boss Thread, then you need to put something up thats actually useful to people, like their line of pedals and info about them.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by RisingFreedom09
I recommend working on getting a bad ass amp. Boss really shines with great amps. But if you really only need the sound from your metal zone, then boss has done their job

well now, aren't you one to talk?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Sid McCall
You think boss shines with a good amp, and you're using a FM212? Try throwing a DS-1 into a nice tube amp, and you'll see what they were made for. Such a fun pedal.

Lol with my FM on the clean channel, and my pedals run in there, I get an amazing tone. Maybe its cuz I'm the only one on UG that plays stripped down punk? Idk, but most of us here are metal heads, and the FM isn't exactly a metal amp.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by RisingFreedom09
Lol with my FM on the clean channel, and my pedals run in there, I get an amazing tone. Maybe its cuz I'm the only one on UG that plays stripped down punk? Idk, but most of us here are metal heads, and the FM isn't exactly a metal amp.

the FM has decent cleans, but thats it. The drive sounds like dying babies, and I found that putting pedals on the clean channel was equally balls.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by RisingFreedom09
Sound is preference dude. If you dont like em, you dont like em

The main problem I have however is people who have average gear trying out two Boss pedals and then making threads devoted to them, proclaiming them to be the best thing ever invented. When you mature a bit gear-wise, you'll look back on this and reconsider your comments.

Btw, thereoticmusic raises a very truthful point, and having just read the other, 2 very truthful points.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
ive owned a ds1 and a bd2 bluesdriver and im 0 for 2 in the satisfaction department. the products are not incredible or terrible, they simply set the benchmark for average with a few other mass production companies. they're big in music supplys because they're a huge rich company that can afford to massively advertise and massively produce and distribute. they are no better or worse than any other budget FX company.
i play hardcore stuff and whatnot im looking for something that would complement my sound i already have just with the metalzone maybe even clean effects
Quote by theoreticmusic
I have a bad feeling about this. Boss makes a few decent pedals, but I think this thread will turn into a Metal Zone or MetalCore fanclub for 13 year olds.

Real shame, it had potential.

TS: if you really want to make an Ultimate Boss Thread, then you need to put something up thats actually useful to people, like their line of pedals and info about them.

I will, once I get on to a of and not this iPod LOL. To be honest I dont like the metal zone or metal core myself, but some do. I really enjoy my mega distortion.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by RisingFreedom09

I played in a hardcore punk band for two years with a guy playing an Ibanez Artcore into a DS1, MT2, and an FM212. Worst tone I've ever heard.

Go play stripped down punk with a cranked tube amp, then you'll see what it's all about.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
lol closer to emmure and parkway , see you next tuesday kinda hardcore im into

edit: i got a set of 81 emg actives too they do alot of the work too tho
Last edited by -x-ERic-x- at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by IncubusMan999
The main problem I have however is people who have average gear trying out two Boss pedals and then making threads devoted to them, proclaiming them to be the best thing ever invented. When you mature a bit gear-wise, you'll look back on this and reconsider your comments.

Btw, thereoticmusic raises a very truthful point, and having just read the other, 2 very truthful points.

I never said Boss was the best. I just saw there was no other boss peda threadl. I love the Seymour Duncan twin tube mayhem, that is my favorite distortion EVER. But most dont blow 240 bucks on pedals man. And boss pedals are just easier to get. Like the Crunch Box. I prefer that pedal, but I dont trust the Internet (just the way I am) and had to settle on the MD-2
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Last edited by RisingFreedom09 at Feb 10, 2009,
boss pedals are great maybe sometimes not worth the price but i got mine used for a lot less. some people need to learn to eq them cuz a lot of people just crank all the knobs expecting a good sound.

i have
an sd-1 overdrive and it sounds beautiful
ds 2 distortion (ds-1 have a terrible tone) you can get a wide range of sounds out of the ds 2
and a ce-5 chorus ensemble which also has a very wide range of sounds and perfectly nails songs like come as you are
I'm not a huge fan, but I have one and it's screwing up. DD-3, it works when I plug in my power adapter, but not with a battery. Tried replacing the battery, switching cables, guitars, amps, nothings fixing it. Advice?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Sid McCall
I played in a hardcore punk band for two years with a guy playing an Ibanez Artcore into a DS1, MT2, and an FM212. Worst tone I've ever heard.

Go play stripped down punk with a cranked tube amp, then you'll see what it's all about.

LOL ibanez and epiphone are completely different instruments. I know where you're coming from, they do sound better on tube amps, but I can't afford one loud enough for what I need. And really, my tone is good... My brother has like 12 years of exp. And he seems to think so. And I said stripped down punk ( the stooges, the exploited, the subhumans, the clash, rancid.)

I dont do any hard core type stuff. All I do is shred if I get bored.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by necrosis1193
I'm not a huge fan, but I have one and it's screwing up. DD-3, it works when I plug in my power adapter, but not with a battery. Tried replacing the battery, switching cables, guitars, amps, nothings fixing it. Advice?

customer support, your best bet. Unless your dd-3 is over 5 years old, the warranty should cover it

Its likely something is wrong with the battery's connection, if it still works with an adapter it has nothing to do with cables or anything, its just the wires must be torn or something of the sort.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Last edited by RisingFreedom09 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic

I second this

Anyway, I've got a DS-2 and BF-3, and I had a MD-2. I really want a CE-1, but I'll probably end up getting a CE-5, not sure
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I got the boss hyper metal, huge low end, very fuzzy though.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
The hyper metal is before my days as a guitarist. What would pedal of today would you compare it with in Boss's arsenal?
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by RisingFreedom09
The hyper metal is before my days as a guitarist. What would pedal of today would you compare it with in Boss's arsenal?

I like it better then the metalcore and metal zone
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
So, not a single good Boss pedal has been mentioned yet. Predictable, yet still disappointing.

PS-2/3, DM-2/3, DC-2/3, VB-2, RV-2/3, HM-2, PH-1r, CE-1, BF-1, OC-2, SG-1, DD-2, MIJ DS-1, PN-2, HR-2, etc, etc.

Almost none of the new pedals can come close to being as epic as the old ones.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
The only pedals by boss I like are the DD series and the NS-2 (which is still just average).
Aside from that I almost hate mostly every other boss pedal =/
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Has anyone tried the Weapon?

How can Boss not deserve an ONLY thread? You retarded?
Not everyone has rich parents. I would **** myself if my parents would of paid of at least half the price on a kick ass pedal. Im not bashing, I am just being blunt.
I have a Ds-1 and Ge-7. Yeah their not the best but their alright for now. IMO Boss makes some descent pedals, nothing spectacular.
what about THE RE-20. I've got some serious gas for one.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by RisingFreedom09
LOL ibanez and epiphone are completely different instruments. I know where you're coming from, they do sound better on tube amps, but I can't afford one loud enough for what I need. And really, my tone is good... My brother has like 12 years of exp. And he seems to think so. And I said stripped down punk ( the stooges, the exploited, the subhumans, the clash, rancid.)

I dont do any hard core type stuff. All I do is shred if I get bored.

Gonna have to say that the Exploited and Subhumans are DEFINITELY hardcore punk. We also did a handful of Rancid covers. And an Ibanez artcore and an Epiphone Les Paul are VERY similar, especially since very little of the sound either of you are/were getting has to do with your guitars.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by xwearesinking
So, not a single good Boss pedal has been mentioned yet. Predictable, yet still disappointing.

PS-2/3, DM-2/3, DC-2/3, VB-2, RV-2/3, HM-2, PH-1r, CE-1, BF-1, OC-2, SG-1, DD-2, MIJ DS-1, PN-2, HR-2, etc, etc.

Almost none of the new pedals can come close to being as epic as the old ones.

agreed. I have played with several of their older ones, they have a fuller tone IMHO. I do like my md-2 a lot. It gives me a nice, thick, crunchy distortion, and on my set up noise is minimal at gigging volume. It really is my favorite Boss. But like I said before, I like the twin tube mayhem much more, but then again it is 140 bucks more.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
does Boss deserve an ONLY thread............ the only Boss i like are their delays and nothing else.........

As the #1 pedal seller in the World, I would think so...

In my life I've owned several Boss products, and still have and use an old Boss DD2, Flanger, Turbo Overdrive, TU2 tuner, AW-3 (rarely--but still I have it)
Last edited by zachman5150 at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by Sid McCall
Gonna have to say that the Exploited and Subhumans are DEFINITELY hardcore punk. We also did a handful of Rancid covers. And an Ibanez artcore and an Epiphone Les Paul are VERY similar, especially since very little of the sound either of you are/were getting has to do with your guitars.

LOl okay, if you are just trying to degrade my set up and say I have no ear for tone, you seem to be doing a good job... Well, to me, hardcore stuffbis that nonsense that sounds exactly the same... But the exploited and subhumans are easily and well played on my set up dude. And my les Paul sounds a lot darker and crunchier than my friends ibanez on the same set up. If the two aforementioned bands are hard core punk, then what about those others bands (I would not call them real punk) that scream and believe in the anarchy? Idk punk is too controversial in todays world.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by RisingFreedom09
LOl okay, if you are just trying to degrade my set up and say I have no ear for tone, you seem to be doing a good job... Well, to me, hardcore stuffbis that nonsense that sounds exactly the same... But the exploited and subhumans are easily and well played on my set up dude. And my les Paul sounds a lot darker and crunchier than my friends ibanez on the same set up. If the two aforementioned bands are hard core punk, then what about those others bands (I would not call them real punk) that scream and believe in the anarchy? Idk punk is too controversial in todays world.

So you're basically an idiot when it comes to punk...?

Hardcore punk is bands like Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Germs, Subhumans, etc. Its not "non-sense that all sounds the same". Thats just ignorant.

Les Pauls and Ibanez Artcores sound fairly similar due to the humbuckers, although Artcores have a more "open" sound because of the semi-hollow body type. Chances are, an Ibanez run through a Boss DS-1 and a Fender Frontman will sound very bright and "open". An Epiphone Les Paul run through a DS-1 and a Fender Frontman will sound a little bit darker, but not by much.

Point: You're tone is more dependant on your amp then your guitar. Pedals really just color your tone.
^^ i dissagree with your point. once I started putting new pickups in my guitars instead of the stock pups, the change was mindboggling. Good pickups in a guitar can make a bad or decent amp sound pretty good. I believe that they're equally important.

I ordered several BOSS pedals recently, but i'm going to get them once my dad goes to and comes back from the USA.

And just to make this a better thread... I love my Chorus Ensemble! that was one of the best buys I have made.
Posting anything on this forum to the theme of 'I like/love the BOSS _____' is like walking blindfolded through a minefield or a shooting range.

I love my AC3, ML2 and SD1.

*runs*
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
ive owned a ds1 and a bd2 bluesdriver and im 0 for 2 in the satisfaction department. the products are not incredible or terrible, they simply set the benchmark for average with a few other mass production companies. they're big in music supplys because they're a huge rich company that can afford to massively advertise and massively produce and distribute. they are no better or worse than any other budget FX company.

Words cannot describe how much I agree with this statement!!
My friends think Boss is like the best pedal company cause they're the most well known . UG'ers think Boss is the worst because they make nothing exceptional. The truth is that Boss is completely average. They set a standard that ends up being improved on by other companies like Maxon, Visual Sound, Keeley Mods, Fulltone, ElectroHarmonix, etc.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Page 1 of 4