Have you noticed whenever a pro player switches guitar endorsements, it is always the same thing that is heard over and over again:

"I am so fortunate to be working with XYZ guitars now. They make the best guitars in the world!"

"My new signature model from XYZ is the best guitar I have ever played!"

Somehow every new guitar they play, ends up being the best they have ever played. And why such frequent change of guitar endorsements? Some players stick with one brand their whole career, whereas others seem to change endorsements like others change their underwear. Dave Mustard is a good example. First Megadeth endorsed and played B.C. Rich, then Jackson, then they switched to ESP, and now they are playing Dean guitars. I suppose we can expect them to change to Hamer or Ibanez next year.

Any comments?
It's because they get paid to say it's the best.

And it's not all, just some people are like that. By the way, it's Dave Mustaine.

And it really doesn't matter to me. Personally, I only take signature models seriously if it's something that they've been playing for a long time, and that fits the rest of the company's stuff (like the Paul Gilbert sig).
i dont like/play signatures at all. i find them overpriced, some that probably only have a pickup change and some paint job
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Well it is advertising. It's customary to exaggerate, and commonplace to lie outright. Saying stuff like "this guitar is pretty good, about as good as my strat" doesn't get you endorsement deals.
Odds are good that any signature guitar you pick up will be overpriced in regards to the quality of the instrument versus other similarly equipped guitars from the same manufacturer. Its that whole "royalty payment" that gets incorporated into their prices in order to pay the endorsing artist for his endorsement.

That isn't to say an artist's guitar are never worth it- I'd kill to get my hands on a Burns Brian May Red Special reissue.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
They don't get something for nothing, they are called endorsements for a reason.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
hey its their choices, deal with it. no one's making you buy their products or listen to their music. they may be assholes, sure- but just ignore it
A friend of mine, Rob Marcello, (Danger Danger), has to be the biggest gear ***** on the planet. He's got a bunch of endorsements, Suhr, Caparison and at least one other guitar company. He just likes getting free stuff. I'll bet there are a lot of other guys just like him.
There's my way and the wrong way.
I would play squier if they made them as well as a custom shop Fender.
Quote by seth's daddy
A friend of mine, Rob Marcello, (Danger Danger), has to be the biggest gear ***** on the planet. He's got a bunch of endorsements, Suhr, Caparison and at least one other guitar company. He just likes getting free stuff. I'll bet there are a lot of other guys just like him.

I doubt he's your friend... But yeah... We know who he is.
Quote by ToalNOOB
I doubt he's your friend... But yeah... We know who he is.

Wanna bet?
Rob used to teach at the same store that I do. He still lives in Columbus and is a rep for Boss/Roland.
Quote by seth's daddy
Rob used to teach at the same store that I do. He still lives in Columbus and is a rep for Boss/Roland.

That doesn't mean he's your friend. It means you worked with him.
Ok, you got me, we don't have Christmas dinner together.
Do you have friends at work (if you've got a job). We hang out, talk, joke around, and have played guitar together. I'd say that makes us friends. If you were to ask him, he'd tell you the same.
Guys, quit arguing. If he managed to gauge the mans opinion, does it really matter that you guys have differing opinions on whether SD is friends with Rob Marcello?

Anyway, TS, frankly it's always going to be exaggerated. Even if the endorsees aren't made to say something ridiculous, they'll quote it out-of-context to make it seem that way. Some artist guitars are good though. Granted overhyped, but good. Probably the only currently available artist model I'd buy though is the Brian May Red Special, and that's just because as a one-of-a-kind handbuilt guitar that, IMO, kicks majour ass, you can't get it any other way and I want to have one.

Also, lol @ Dave Mustard. How's his band Megaburger doing since he was fired from Meatallica? [/badfoodpuns]
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 11, 2009,
same goes for amp endorsements...watch all the old A7X gear vids and Zacky and Syn can't stop talking about their Bogners...then a couple months ago in Guitar World: '...once we got our hands on the Marshall JCM800s, we realized just how freaking awesome they were...'
when you get a new piece of gear, don't you think it is the greatest thing?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Well do you really expect James Hetfield to say
"Yo dawgs, I got this new ESP guitar but it sucks balls, the neck feels like ass and the graphics look like shit. Go and buy one now'

No. Why? Because then nobody will buy his guitar and he won't get any more free shit.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by JLT73
when you get a new piece of gear, don't you think it is the greatest thing?

Yes, but at the same time. Marshall JCM800s are more easily accessed than Bogner amps...and I'm fairly certain that they had played through them before now. Now all of a sudden they're all about them.
doesnt free ice cream taste better than 10 dollar ice cream?

free amps sound better than $4,000 amps.
Quote by dylandtl
doesnt free ice cream taste better than 10 dollar ice cream?

free amps sound better than $4,000 amps.

yes...but if you have had free ice cream before and liked it more than the $10 ice cream...would you run around proclaiming to the world that the $10 ice cream is the way to go? I think not. This is what I was saying. I'm sure they had played the JCMs before now and didn't like them as much as the Bogners...but now all of a sudden that theyre being thrown at them for free theyre the best amps on the planet....even though if they were really that much better than the Bogners, they would have used them all along. Especially since the JCMs are a lot cheaper than the Bogners.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
Also, lol @ Dave Mustard. How's his band Megaburger doing since he was fired from Meatallica? [/badfoodpuns]

I love you.