It's the guitar that you get from the starter packs and all, got it for about $80. I don't have the money to buy a new guitar, so I'd might as well improve my current ones. It has a single open-coil humbucker. The tone is good and all, but I wanna make it better. I'm looking for something really dark and dirty, like Seymour Duncan Blackouts or something. Any suggestions on pickups? Thanks in advance.
don't go with blackouts if you want this to be easy: you would need to route for (and wire) a 9v battery. If your'e okay with it being hard, then blackouts are GREAT. They are, by far, much better than EMGs of any sort. (because I've always felt that EMGs sounded a little thin)
if you want dark and dirty, go with a JB, a Dimebucker, or possibly a George Lynch Screamin' Demon. All of the above are great humbuckers that I, personally, love.
I'm guessing that you play mostly metal etc? If so and you really want to go to the extra effort of routing for a blackout, it's totally worth it.
Learn to enjoy the sound of passive pickups. Trust me, its worth it in the long run!

Get a nice seymour duncan jb/jazz bridge/neck combo going.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
SD JB or Dimarzio Super Distortion is my input. I've rocked 'em both to hell and back, brother do they get the job done.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Duncan Distortion or a DiMarzio Breed or D-Activator
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
hey i think i got the best idea here GET A BETTER GUITAR if you gonna shell out money to get a new pickup you obosly have enough cash to get a better guitar.
^shuddup. If you're gonna give him an option that isn't what he was looking for, it doesn't need to be in all caps.

Besides, pickups make a world of difference.
new pickup is ALOT cheaper than a guitar dude...

i would say go for a SD. either JB or Dimebucker. they are great for metal. if you dont play metal then the JB is probably the more versitile, but its all up to you man
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Root beer

Amp:
Randall RG75G3
Marshall 1960 2x12 cab

Pedals:
Crybaby From Hell
Behringer Chromatic Tuner
Boss Acoustic Simulator
Quote by Emoishboy
^shuddup. If you're gonna give him an option that isn't what he was looking for, it doesn't need to be in all caps.

Besides, pickups make a world of difference.

not really depends on the amp
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
not really depends on the amp

and it begins....
What amp are you using? Your tone will only be as good as your worst piece of equipment and epi pickups are pretty good so if you are using the amp from a starter pack then your amp is probably the weakest link. If you do have a good amp then we still need to know what the amp is to recommend the best possible pickup.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
What amp are you using? Your tone will only be as good as your worst piece of equipment and epi pickups are pretty good so if you are using the amp from a starter pack then your amp is probably the weakest link. If you do have a good amp then we still need to know what the amp is to recommend the best possible pickup.
being someone who has three epiphones, I can attest to the fact that epiphone pickups are not "pretty good," they border on the lower side of "ok." Especially in that thing, he's probably got the Ceramic magnet pickup, not the Alnico one. True, his tone will only be as good as his amp, but your tone is also only as good as your pick, playing and guitar wood, too. Way I see it, he'll drop $70 on a JB and he'll be happy, because his guitar won't sound like an icepick anymore.
Quote by Thomme
being someone who has three epiphones, I can attest to the fact that epiphone pickups are not "pretty good," they border on the lower side of "ok." Especially in that thing, he's probably got the Ceramic magnet pickup, not the Alnico one. True, his tone will only be as good as his amp, but your tone is also only as good as your pick, playing and guitar wood, too. Way I see it, he'll drop $70 on a JB and he'll be happy, because his guitar won't sound like an icepick anymore.

A muddy icepick with bad harmonics at that.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
A muddy icepick with bad harmonics at that.

The mud comes from the epiphone neck humbuckers. Bridge is the icepick, the neck is the muffled mud. He's just got pure ice pick. Even the Epiphone Alnico pickups are like that, I don't understand how.
^
if cord says there pretty good then there pretty good, im sure someone who makes there living from making custom spec pickups would know
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
^
if cord says there pretty good then there pretty good, im sure someone who makes there living from making custom spec pickups would know

read this

then go to guitar center or something and find which pickup you like best and go for it
Quote by Thomme

The parts and construction of epi pickups are an equal quality to Gibson pickups. If the Epi pickup has a ceramic magnet when it "should" have an alnico magnet that is down to a design flaw, not a quality issue. I do agree that ceramic magnets in low output pickups sound thin and lifeless but that doesn't mean the whole pickup is crap, it simply means you need to spend a fiver and get an alnico magnet for your otherwise good pickup. I make pickups for a living so I wouldn't tell anybody to keep their current pickups unless it was truely in their best interest. It's not that I think that the TS should keep the current pickup, just that I think their might be other things that are more important.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by CorduroyEW
The parts and construction of epi pickups are an equal quality to Gibson pickups. If the Epi pickup has a ceramic magnet when it "should" have an alnico magnet that is down to a design flaw, not a quality issue. I do agree that ceramic magnets in low output pickups sound thin and lifeless but that doesn't mean the whole pickup is crap, it simply means you need to spend a fiver and get an alnico magnet for your otherwise good pickup. I make pickups for a living so I wouldn't tell anybody to keep their current pickups unless it was truely in their best interest. It's not that I think that the TS should keep the current pickup, just that I think their might be other things that are more important.

everyone's got different opinions. I couldn't stand the epiphone standard pickups in my les paul or my strat, they were god awful. The strat was all ceramic, the paul was Alnico. Both sets were just uninspired and dull... and their bass pickup in my accu-bass was just a joke. When I switched from the epiphone pickups to the duncans, it was a HUGE difference in tone... I mean HUGE. Epiphone pickup "parts" might be the same quality as Gibson pickups, but they just don't sound nearly as good as a good set of seymour duncans, dimarzios, Gibsons... or even Duncan Designed.

TS, you WILL hear a difference if you change out your pickup to something better, but getting a new amp will improve your tone far more than any pickup can. Honestly, it's up to you. If you want a small improvement now, that you WILL notice, you can get the pickup. If you want a much more substantial upgrade in tone: amp.
Mkayso I wasn't online today to check on this thread, but it looks like I got a considerable amount of suggestions. Thanks to all.

To answer some questions, I have a Line6 Spider III. I can't say I'm too experienced with amps, but it's definitely an upgrade from the Squier SP-10 I got from my friend. Although I have to say that I had one of those portable Marshall Mini Amps and that I actually like the tone on it better than the tone on the Spider III... Just my opinion, though.
I think you should just get a new magnet for your pickup and then save for a better amp. Your tone will be dramatically improved if you install an alnico 5 magnet in there and it'll only cost about $7.00