Being that I detest Valentines day with every fiber of my being, I thought I'd educate you all on what Valentines day is actually about, in fact in has absolutely NOTHING to do with love, relationships, romance or the like. It's a day to celebrate the multiple christian martyrs who were all given the titles of Valentines after the deaths.

There are two particular martyrs that the holiday is for Valentine of Rome and the Valentine of Terni. Valentine of Rome committed martyrdom in AD 296 and is buried on the Via Flaminia as is Valentine of Terni who committed martyrdom in AD 197. The Catholic encyclopedia mentions a third Valentine martyred in Africa with several other companions but little else is known about him and he is also respected on the 14 of February. In 1969 the Holiday was actually removed from the Catholic calendar because nothing was known of Saint Valentine except that he was buried on Febraury 14th.

Saint Valentine is important to Christianity because of his efforts to turn emperor Cladius the Second of Rome to Christianity instead of Roman Paganism, after refusing to convert to Paganism Cladius ordered that Valentine be executed, even though knowing he was to die, Valentine supposedly healed the blind daughter of his jailer and was later executed for being a Christian.

Legenda Aurea still providing no connections whatsoever with sentimental love, appropriate lore has been embroidered in modern times to portray that Valentine went against Cladius in his decree that drafted men weren't allowed to marry, this is of course a myth because the decree wasn't passed until long after Valentines death.In fact Valentines day as originally celebrated was celebrated with a large feast, celibacy , and personal reflection time with god which is obviously not what we do today.

So as you can plainly see, the holiday we so self-righteously celebrate by throwing it in others faces that "oh look at me I'm in a relationship". Does not have a ****ing thing to do with love, lust, flowers, sex, chocolate or those damned little heart shaped candies.

From this day forward I REFUSE to ever celebrate this ridiculous over exaggerated, mockery of a holiday and if I were a Christian I'd be a little upset that a Holiday for one of our religious hero's had turned into such a farce.
Because that's the only holiday ever to have changed from its original meaning
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding

lol. Now it seems to be more about heartless consumerism that means absolutely nothing.

And TS you seem to be taking it a little too far.
Quote by whalepudding

I know it's not, it's just the most ridiculous.
plus its a total commercial holiday lol FXK DA SYSTEM

Sounds like you're bitter that you don't have a valentine*.

*Doesn't have one either

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
thanks, Things-Everyone's-Heard-Before Man!

whatever would we do without you?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
thanks, Things-Everyone's-Heard-Before Man!

whatever would we do without you?

you know what?

nevermind...
Quote by Zero-Hartman
plus its a total commercial holiday lol FXK DA SYSTEM

Sounds like you're bitter that you don't have a valentine*.

*Doesn't have one either

No I have a girlfriend, believe me or not I really don't care. I just think it's a ridiculous holiday because it's turned into a commercialized parade of bull ****.
Wow, I come to UG because I'm tired of school and what do I get? A lecture.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Yeah, like who really cares about the Christians nowadays?

I don't care how empty it is, I like the idea.

It gives me an excuse to feel lonely...
*clap*
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
off topic.. what do bunnies have to do with easter? srs?
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
Quote by Trudogger
Yeah, like who really cares about the Christians nowadays?

I don't care how empty it is, I like the idea.

It gives me an excuse to feel lonely...

I'm a Christian, don't be sippin' on the haterade.
And I celebrate Singles Awareness Day like a vast majority of today's youth that want desperately to be unique and therefore celebrate a holiday that isn't a holiday. how rebellious!
I still think Christmas is the most exaggerated and commercialized holiday ever.

And Halloween was also a Christian thing.

But I still like both, only reason I don't like Valentines Day is because I'm always single!

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot about Easter too. Yep, Valentines Day is no worse than most others.

Hail Cinco de Mayo!
Last edited by !@#$ at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by mdawg24
I'm a Christian, don't be sippin' on the haterade.

Oh, no worries, I'm a Christian too. Sarcasm is a wonderful thing.

Does not have a ****ing thing to do with love, lust, flowers, sex, chocolate or those damned little heart shaped candies.

Except...it does. The origins of the holiday are irrelevant. Holidays have no objective meaning. What matter (the only things that matter) are the reasons people have for celebrating it. If people associate Valentine's Day with love, it's about love.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by !@#$
I still think Christmas is the most exaggerated and commercialized holiday ever.

And Halloween was also a Christian thing.

But I still like both, only reason I don't like Valentines Day is because I'm always single!

Halloween was actually a pagan holiday were they painted their faces to scare the dead back into the realm of the dead.
Quote by redhawk1029

the bunny and egg tradition actually come from pagan customs, where the coming of spring was celebrated as a time of fertility and growth, and since rabbits **** and reproduce like maniacs they became symbols of fertility, and the pagan holiday was merged with easter which ended up in the messed-up version we have today that doesn't make any sense.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Except...it does. The origins of the holiday are irrelevant. Holidays have no objective meaning. What matter (the only things that matter) are the reasons people have for celebrating it. If people associate Valentine's Day with love, it's about love.

Except...it doesn't. If you had bothered to read what I posted you would have realized it was a christian holiday meant to honor three people who stood up for what they believed in.

Now people associate it with love but that's not at all what the holiday itself was originally about.
TS Valentines day is just another "christian" holiday that incorporates pagan holiday.

February 14th & Juno Fructifier or Juno Februata:

The Romans celebrated a holiday on February 14th to honor Juno Fructifier, Queen of the Roman gods and goddesses as well as goddess of marriage. In one ritual, women would submit their names to a common box and men would each draw one out. These two would be a couple for the duration of the festival (and at times for the entire following year). Both rituals were designed to promote not only fertility, but also life generally.

February 15th & Feast of Lupercalia:

On February 15, Romans celebrated Luperaclia, honoring Faunus, god of fertility. Men would go to a grotto dedicated to Lupercal, the wolf god, located at the foot of Palatine Hill and where Romans believed that the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus, were suckled by a she-wolf. The men would sacrifice a goat, don its skin, and run around, hitting women with small whips, an act which was supposed to ensure fertility.

Christianity Takes Over Valentine’s Day:

In 469, emperor Gelasius declared February 14th a holy day in honor of Valentinus instead of the pagan god Lupercus. This allowed Christianity to take over some of the celebrations of love and fertility which had perviously occurred in the context of paganism. Pagan celebrations were reworked to fit the martyr theme — Christianity did not approve of rituals that encouraged sexuality. Instead of pulling girls’ names from boxes, both boys and girls chose the names of martyred saints from a box.
Valentine’s Day Turns to Love:

It wasn’t until the Renaissance of 14th century that customs returned to celebrations of love and life rather than faith and death. People began to break free of some of the bonds imposed upon them by the Church and move towards a humanistic view of nature, society, and the individual. Moving towards more sensual art and literature, there was no shortage of poets and authors connecting the dawning of Spring with love, sexuality, and procreation.
Multi-Instrumentalists FTW!!!
Quote by silversoulcage
Being that I detest Valentines day with every fiber of my being, I thought I'd educate you all on what Valentines day is actually about, in fact in has absolutely NOTHING to do with love, relationships, romance or the like. It's a day to celebrate the multiple christian martyrs who were all given the titles of Valentines after the deaths.

There are two particular martyrs that the holiday is for Valentine of Rome and the Valentine of Terni. Valentine of Rome committed martyrdom in AD 296 and is buried on the Via Flaminia as is Valentine of Terni who committed martyrdom in AD 197. The Catholic encyclopedia mentions a third Valentine martyred in Africa with several other companions but little else is known about him and he is also respected on the 14 of February. In 1969 the Holiday was actually removed from the Catholic calendar because nothing was known of Saint Valentine except that he was buried on Febraury 14th.

Saint Valentine is important to Christianity because of his efforts to turn emperor Cladius the Second of Rome to Christianity instead of Roman Paganism, after refusing to convert to Paganism Cladius ordered that Valentine be executed, even though knowing he was to die, Valentine supposedly healed the blind daughter of his jailer and was later executed for being a Christian.

Legenda Aurea still providing no connections whatsoever with sentimental love, appropriate lore has been embroidered in modern times to portray that Valentine went against Cladius in his decree that drafted men weren't allowed to marry, this is of course a myth because the decree wasn't passed until long after Valentines death.In fact Valentines day as originally celebrated was celebrated with a large feast, celibacy , and personal reflection time with god which is obviously not what we do today.

So as you can plainly see, the holiday we so self-righteously celebrate by throwing it in others faces that "oh look at me I'm in a relationship". Does not have a ****ing thing to do with love, lust, flowers, sex, chocolate or those damned little heart shaped candies.

From this day forward I REFUSE to ever celebrate this ridiculous over exaggerated, mockery of a holiday and if I were a Christian I'd be a little upset that a Holiday for one of our religious hero's had turned into such a farce.

translation...
"i am a lonely boy who's never had a valentine, therefore cannot celebrate."
although i do agree with the consumerism crap.
every single holiday is about sales nowadays.
Quote by joshpasson
On February 15, Romans celebrated Luperaclia, honoring Faunus, god of fertility. Men would go to a grotto dedicated to Lupercal, the wolf god, located at the foot of Palatine Hill and where Romans believed that the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus, were suckled by a she-wolf. The men would sacrifice a goat, don its skin, and run around, hitting women with small whips, an act which was supposed to ensure fertility.

I should try that sometime.
Quote by silversoulcage
Except...it doesn't. If you had bothered to read what I posted you would have realized it was a christian holiday meant to honor three people who stood up for what they believed in.

Now people associate it with love but that's not at all what the holiday itself was originally about.
not anymore. holidays are culturally defined, we decide what it means. im sure it has a different spin in different societies, and thats ok, but our holiday is whatever we decide it will be.

besides, before it was about love it was about these guys, and before that it probably meant something else. it might have even meant something before we started recording history, it doesnt matter.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by redhawk1029

The ancient Anglo-Saxons celebrated the return of spring with a carnival commemorating their goddess of offspring and of springtime, Eostre. The word carnival possibly originated from the Latin 'carne vale' meaning "flesh, farewell" or "meat, farewell." The offerings were rabbits and coloured eggs, bidding an end to winter.

As it happened, the pagan festival of Eostre occurred at the same time of year as the Christian observance of the Resurrection of Christ and it didn't take the Christian missionaries long to convert the Anglo-Saxons when they encountered them in the 2nd century. The offering of rabbits and eggs eventually (in the 8th century, it is thought) became the Easter bunny and Easter eggs.
Multi-Instrumentalists FTW!!!
"he is also respected on the 14 of February. In 1969"
For some reason that made me lul.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.