Can be a fun instrument. I preferred learning bass clef through piano, though.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Hand Solo... got it?

Hand... Solo!

*makes fapping movement*

aww forget it.
Depends. If you play jazz, old blues, or orchestral music, then sure. Some old Elvis-era rock would be ok too.

Other than that, you'll probably like an electric much more. Double basses are big, clunky, difficult to transport, and difficult to maintain.
Nope, no sig here.
You could be like the dude from The Living End!
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
You might as well just learn to play a regular electric bass. If you already know how to play regular bass and want to get an upright bass, then it won't be much of a transition. It would be completely retarded though.

Unless you actually play classical music or jazz, theres no reason to even bother. Sure, you could be in a rockabilly band, but that would just make you a complete faggot.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
its always a good skill, to be able to play other instruments. i picked up double bass last year, and its been great for my electric playing, especially fretless. always gets me a lot of respect from people, when i play upright.
Quote by Casketcreep
YakunaAi, I assume you already play bass guitar?

Upright is alot more difficult to play, but mostly just because the frets are spaced out twice as much and it's fretless.

And they cost a **** load...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
^ also true.
It's a very expensive decision to make.
If you decide it's not the instrument for you then you are out of pocket 400 quid.

I say you should go play one / get lessons or something first.

Although before I bought mine I had only played a double once a few years ago, and I love it. It's quickly becoming my main instrument.
Quote by Casketcreep
^ also true.
It's a very expensive decision to make.
If you decide it's not the instrument for you then you are out of pocket 400 quid.

I'd like to see where you're getting one for that. That's $500something....entry level models are more like $1500, which is roughly 1050 GBP.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I'd like to see where you're getting one for that. That's $500something....entry level models are more like $1500, which is roughly 1050 GBP.

given it works as it's own relatively loud amp, that's a sweet deal.

upright is awesome, the rockabilly thing. jazz, you can get away with some flats in most cases. but a lot of older music you want an upright. and to be honest, there isn't a whole lot cooler looking than some old jazzman feeling that bass walk under his fingers.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
For my money I think upright is a pretty outdated instrument, but many and probably most people will argue with me. I personally play one, but have no interest in going beyond the school level with it.
i personally think learning the upright will only make you a better "all around" bass player. imo nothing competes with the tone of a bowed double bass. besides, in a few years you'll be able to play this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmI_BsVfuCg
at parties. then watch all the shredders put their axes back in the cases, and leave. lol

Quote by DeathMask

Unless you actually play classical music or jazz, theres no reason to even bother. Sure, you could be in a rockabilly band, but that would just make you a complete faggot.

as for this statement, next time Reverend Horton Heat is in Jersey, why don't you say that to Jimbo Wallace in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_juTPQJUc
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Feb 11, 2009,
I think if you are going to get into jazz or rockabilly/psychobilly or roots rock, that getting an upright is a great investment.
Ive always loved the sound of the Double bass, far nicer sound than an electric, in my opinion. That woody, earthy tone is great.
You have enemies? Good. That means
you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -

Winston Churchill
Do it.

And if you don't like it, you can give me the bass
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!