Ok.
Typing this again cuz i think my computer raped itself the first time.
AND before randoms start hounding me i wasnt to sure what forum to post this in so it ended up here.
Alright
So im quite a abled guitarist, relativly young though.
I havent been in any serious bands yet but i am about to put one together though.
My only problem is i havent had the chance to gig yet, and arent to familiar with the equipment beyond the 100W amp.

So can someone please explain "step by step" in a way, how to set up (doesnt need to be fancy) for a gig?
Like you know maybe just explain the links between stacks, PA'S what plugs into each other etc.
Doesnt need to be PRECISE but you know...just getting me familiar with.
I feel like a fairly big derro for asking this one,.
But hey, even the best had to learn somewhere right?
Quote by stephen_rettie
you dont need to know, bring your amp and guitar and the sound guy will help

Well yeah.
But the small teenage gigs not alot of sound guys know what they are doing XD.
And im more looking into gigging as a pub band.
You know classic rock etc.
anyone else?
buy your self a overdrive pedal so you can switch between a clean tone and a dirty toneit would also be a good idea to bring a chorus into the mix also a wah or talk box would help to but not needed as much as the overdrive and chorus
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
buy your self a overdrive pedal so you can switch between a clean tone and a dirty toneit would also be a good idea to bring a chorus into the mix also a wah or talk box would help to but not needed as much as the overdrive and chorus

ahah thanks.
But its setting up i need help with.
I can play.
I have a overdrive pedal haha.
I just need help with setting up.
Quote by Lets Jam!
Well yeah.
But the small teenage gigs not alot of sound guys know what they are doing XD.
And im more looking into gigging as a pub band.
You know classic rock etc.
anyone else?

again most pubs if they do live music will have a sound man, and i thought you hadnt gigged yet so how can you make such such a broad statement with any justification? dont worry about it.
worry about getting a band together and writing songs.
sounds like your getting ahead of yourself.

Edit: and 'beyond the 100w amp' is mistake number 1. you dont need 100w
Bring your amp, look for a plug-in, if there's two guitars have one amp on each side, put the bassist in the back, drums infront of the bassist, and the mike the most forward piece. Ta-da, your set-up .
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
The same way you play guitar normally. Plug amp in, plug guitar+pedals in, and play. If there's any micing or DI involved the sound guy will do it.
As simply as possible: Mics go into a bundled cable, or "snake". How many depends on the size of the mixing board(usually 8-16+ Channels). The board mixes the channels, and directs the input signals as output, to the amp/amps which connect Mains and/or Monitor speakers. Many smaller system have powered speakers, so amps aren't visible. Mains are for the audience, monitors are for you.

It can get very complex, because there are lots of different options to set it up. As someone else said, hopefully there will be a sound man. His job is to get it right. We used to carry our own PA around, so we had to know how it worked.
Thats awesome.^^^^
You should write a little mini-guide on this ite to help everybody that's in need.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Since the penguinman liked that response, I'll add two more thoughts.

Never PO the sound person. They can make you sound awful if they want to. Most of them I know now are good guys, and are professional enough to do a good job even if they don't like what you're playing. If they're good, show them some respect. Hell, even buy them a beer or two if they treat your band well, especially if you're going to play that venue again in the near future.

If you're a new band, and you're first, or even the second of three, you probably won't get a sound check. You're just an opener. The guy has probably set up a "back line" to suit the last band, or Headliner. In other words, the PA is set up to specs. It may take a song or two for him to get your band's settings right. He's got nothing against your band, it is just usually the most efficient way to do it.
Search for "100W" or "Stack" is the Guitar Gear&Accessories forum, and see how many results appear - it comes up all the bloody time! Although lot of it is bandwagoning and there are valid reasons for getting a hundred-watter, if you want to do pub and club gigs I'd suggest a max of 30-50W, and certainly no larger than a 2x12" combo. Most pubs won't have the physical space to setup a halfstack, let alone the fact it'll sound medicre at best unless you crank it.

That's all you need to know guitar-wise for now.

As for PA etc, you're better off finding an online guide, since nobody posting on a forum can really give you more than a brief summary. Ten seconds' googling found this: http://www.thefxcode.com/audio/setup.htm
this: http://www.funkytower.com/2009/02/03/setting-up-your-pa-system/
and this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057544 .

That's far more information than could fit into this thread, so start there. However, worry about the band first, and then sort the equipment between you once it's got rolling. Chances are whoever you form a band with, at least one member will have a grasp of the basics.
Very valid points kyle62. Many clubs/bars have small areas(stages)for the band. Even simple drum kits take quite a bit of space, so bringing in big amps is just overkill.
Quote by Lets Jam!
ahah thanks.
But its setting up i need help with.
I can play.
I have a overdrive pedal haha.
I just need help with setting up.

i cant help you with that it depends on personal preference ( music style how much gain you want etc.) like me i play grunge alot so its set to have a muddier sound if you play metal if your the lead guitarist youll need some extra treble so the solos will sound higher but if your rythem youll need more bass why dont you give me more of an idea of what you play and i might be able to help more but its all about you and what you think is good cuz if you think it sounds like **** 9 times out of 10 others will think the same
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

i cant help you with that it depends on personal preference ( music style how much gain you want etc.) like me i play grunge alot so its set to have a muddier sound if you play metal if your the lead guitarist youll need some extra treble so the solos will sound higher but if your rythem youll need more bass why dont you give me more of an idea of what you play and i might be able to help more but its all about you and what you think is good cuz if you think it sounds like **** 9 times out of 10 others will think the same

Somebody here just point blank refuses to read the thread...
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by stephen_rettie
you dont need to know, bring your amp and guitar and the sound guy will help

Bull****, It is incredibly important to understand the basics of your instrument and the gear to which it is associated with. I suggest you google live setups to get a better understanding of this.

Basically, Depending on whether the venue owns a backline or not, you will have to have your band bring all of your gear.
Most venues have a bass amplifier and a drum kit (w/o hardware, cymbals, snare, and throne - make sure your drummer is aware of what the venue has when prepping for a gig). Most venues have a PA and some shure 58s so you should be ok as far as mics go. Most venues do not have guitar gear however, so bring your own amplification, cables, FX, etc and make sure you set it up like you would your regular rehearsal or home practice. Make sure your eq is set correctly, at some larger halls as well, reverb can be an issue so if your amplifier has it, it would be a good idea to turn it down a bit for live situations.
As far as miking amps go- most venues should have sound guys who mic them off-axis with cone to alivieate proximity effect (high frequencies and low frequencies not vibrating at the same rate) from amplification. Usually you mic em up with sm57s or comprable quality dynamic microphones (audix i5, sennhieser e609 etc etc). The bass is usually run through a DI box, which has 2 outputs, one which goes to the board, and one which goes to the amplifier. This is so that the bass's clean signal can be heard in the mix.
At larger places, they may mic the drums, commonly- 2 overhead mics for the toms and cymbals ( Rode NT5s are a popular choice), an SM57 on the snare, and a shure B52 or Audix D4 on the kick drum. I have seen people mic up toms with sennheiser e609s as well.

What kind of amplifier are you currently using?