As the title suggests, this is a ridiculously dumb question, my apologies in advance, but here it is:

What the heck do people mean when they ask for someone to have 'pro gear'?? Surely that's a personal thing, right? Some 'pros' are going to use vastly different gear to others. Does it just mean 'please, don't have a squier starter pack'? Or is it just 'please, have something we can mic up and sound decent'? It's not vital to my existence to know, but it's been annoying me for a while.

Thanks for any ridicukously smart answers to a dumb question sin advance
pro gear is basically guitars and amps that are past the starter pack quality ond price like a cheap amp normally has a micro chip that controls tone while better amps are built with tubes thats the only exmple i could really give you hope it helps
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people.

haha
without question it means they expect more than a squire starter pack. I assume you are looking fro people to play with and this is a common requirement you are running into. pro gear could range anywhere from a gig quality setup (decent guitar, pedals, and amp) to full on recording gear (recording studio, pro tools, pro tools board, and a **** ton of mics) Even if you are joining a multimillion dollar band they generally wouldn't expect the latter.
Quote by EclipseNine
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people.

haha
without question it means they expect more than a squire starter pack. I assume you are looking fro people to play with and this is a common requirement you are running into. pro gear could range anywhere from a gig quality setup (decent guitar, pedals, and amp) to full on recording gear (recording studio, pro tools, pro tools board, and a **** ton of mics) Even if you are joining a multimillion dollar band they generally wouldn't expect the latter.

Yeah, I am looking for people to play with So mid-range gear and up should be ok?
Quote by firesprite
Yeah, I am looking for people to play with So mid-range gear and up should be ok?

haha! someone listened to me! sorry, I've had a few tonite so acknowledgment is really gettin me off.
neway, mid range gear would probably do. most bands dont start using a **** ton of expensive gear until they have a signature version of every piece of equipment imaginable. eg. Dimebag Darrel had a signature guitar, amp, and even strings. Dave Mustaine has a signature guitar, strings, pickups, and coffee. see my point? If your gear is barely enough for you to jam alone you may want to upgrade, but if you're constantly turning your amp down you're probably set. for instance, since buying the new amp I have yet to turn it above two. I would but my apartment is so small and ****ty I would probably blow out my ears and destroy this ancient piece of crap excuse for a building.
Quote by ToalNOOB
Joe Satriani onced shred on a Hello Kitty Squier... Thats pro gear.

I believe it, but I doubt with a relatively high degree of certainty that we are not responding to a tread started by joe satriani. I also guarantee you that the hello kitty squire wasn't plugged into a ten watt squire amp when he did it.
Quote by EclipseNine
I believe it, but I doubt with a relatively high degree of certainty that we are not responding to a tread started by joe satriani. I also guarantee you that the hello kitty squire wasn't plugged into a ten watt squire amp when he did it.

Me being a girl probably rules out the Joe Satriani thing...
If you want to play with a band, all you need is an amp that's loud enough to be heard over the drums.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by firesprite
Me being a girl probably rules out the Joe Satriani thing...

+10000 profile views.

If you can play like a pro on your gear, gear= pro gear.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I wouldnt say any thing Ive ever owned was PRO GEAR. But Im no pro either. Heres what I believe is pro gear: Racks of effects and processors and blah blah blah. Who really needs the bells and whistles? I have to agree with Deep*Kick above.
Pro gear is the way manufacturers make money, making people believe that they "need" it to be a professional.

But in my opinion, it has nothing to do with TALENT. I just watched on TV this little boy playing and singing the blues with so much feeling that for a moment I thought it was Clapton as a child... It was incredible.

Ah, btw, he was playing a Standard Squier Strat.
Quote by ToalNOOB
Joe Satriani onced shred on a Hello Kitty Squier... Thats pro gear.

That's the point
Quote by dynamo0
Pro gear is the way manufacturers make money, making people believe that they "need" it to be a professional.

But in my opinion, it has nothing to do with TALENT. I just watched on TV this little boy playing and singing the blues with so much feeling that for a moment I thought it was Clapton as a child... It was incredible.

Ah, btw, he was playing a Standard Squier Strat.

was he just playing in an empty room, or was he playing in front of a crowd? I think the amp becomes a lot more important than the guitar. Having the right guitar really comes down to what you're most comfortable with, having the right amp comes down to whatever is loud enough to play in front of the number of people you are in front of.
Quote by EclipseNine
was he just playing in an empty room, or was he playing in front of a crowd? I think the amp becomes a lot more important than the guitar. Having the right guitar really comes down to what you're most comfortable with, having the right amp comes down to whatever is loud enough to play in front of the number of people you are in front of.

Both. I saw him first at The Ellen DeGeneres Show (live, in front of a TV audience) playing alone. Later, also playing on TV with a five adult-member band but no audience, where he singed and played the blues like hell.

He was always with his non-Pro Squier. I don't know about the amp, but still he doesn't need a 6000€ Fender Custom Shop to do that.

So "musicians" should be humble and show talent, not display expensive toys.
Last edited by dynamo0 at Feb 11, 2009,