I'm looking into single coil sized humbuckers to put into the bridge of an old Peavey Raptor that's my beater guitar. I think it's basswood or plywood or something. The rhythm guitarist in my band is using it and the single coils are... well, I'm playing lead with a LP, so yeah... he needs a humbucker. He's playing through a Dual Rec.

I'm considering Duncan's JB Jr, but I used to have a JB in my SG and it sounded a bit too trebly and thin for my taste. Would the Little '59 be a better bet, or would that get muddy with the higher gain channels on the Recto?
I've been looking to get a single coil sized humbucker for my strat. Dimarzio Super Distortion and SD hot rails both sound good. You might wanna check them out.
I think I'm going to get the Little '59 at some point, it was recommended to me, and it sounds like it's going to work well. Try it!
i've got a bunch and imo, the hot rails have too much high end in the bridge.

single coil sized humbuckers dont sound like full sized humbuckers.
they sound like something in between the two.

they run silent and have a lot of punch, but dont quite get a full sound.
(i like them for my sound, but i'm not a metal head)
also with a high gain amp, they might be good enough.

now, with that said you have a couple of options.

you can go with a single sized railed or dimarzio stacked humbucker.
personally i find the stacked humbuckers, like the ones in the Virtual vintage series sound much more full when compared to railed pickups.
plus they look like single coils, if you care at all about that type of thing.

or you can look under the guard and check to see if a full sized humbucker will fit in that space.
often there's plenty of room and the only extra expense, is $20 for an HSS guard.
no extra expense, if you just cut a hole in the guard you have there now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 11, 2009,
JB Jr. ftw
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
well that's all i need.
i mean, FTW. pretty much says it all...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The Raptor is routed for a humbucker in the bridge, but I don't think a new pg would fit and I don't want to dremel the current one because I'd like to be able to replace it to stock sometime in the future.

What would you guys recommend for the most LP-like tones possible out of something that would fit in a single coil sized hole?
the little 59 or JB, but if you didnt like the regular JB, the Jr. isnt going to change it much
I like the hotrails, but thats just me
what gain level will this be?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Orange channel on a Dual Rec. Fairly high gain, but not face melting.

I am liking the clips of the hot rails and cool rails.
The hot rails'll be the best one for anything including & past NWOBHM
Iron maiden use them
the others are all vintage or slightly hotter than vintage,
except maybe the JB & screamin' demon, but it's hotter than either of those
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I've been looking at the DiMarzio Tele Chopper pickup instead of a SD as I've heard from multiple people that they make superior pickups.

Anyone ever hear one of these?

Edit: on second thought, these look interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Lace-Tele-Plus-Pack-TN-100/dp/B000B41JIM/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1234397984&sr=1-23

I can't figure out whether the bridge pickup is actually a single humbucker or a single coil.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Last edited by Greenwood991 at Feb 11, 2009,