So, currently, the only thing I have to make drum tracks with right now is various free drum samples I've gathered over the internet, and Modplug tracker (very basic software, but it works).

However, I'm kind of curious how much of an improvement in sound I could expect if I were to shell out some cash for EZDrummer. Would I need to buy the DKH expansion set if I want to do metal? or are there some decent samples for metal in the base set?

And my other question, is that, regardless of the EZDrummer situation, I need to upgrade to something better than Audacity, haha. Is Cakewalk Home XL good? I'm looking for something good, but relatively inexpensive (under $200, if possible).

Thanks
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
try a student edition of cubase I think its like 150-200 and is close to the real deal
Quote by FlightofIcarus
However, I'm kind of curious how much of an improvement in sound I could expect if I were to shell out some cash for EZDrummer. Would I need to buy the DKH expansion set if I want to do metal? or are there some decent samples for metal in the base set?

EZ Drummer is excellent as long as you take the time to work with it. You'll probably need to work quite a bit with EQ and compression on the separate tracks to get the results you want. That said, you really don't need DKFH to get good metal sounds out of EZ Drummer. If anything I find that DKFH is the least impressive of the expansions available these days. It was sampled at fewer velocity levels and it's very "set in its ways" so to speak; it can do a certain kind of metal sound and that's it. Since the sounds are pretty well-compressed already there's little room for variation. The basic Pop/Rock kit is generally enough for most hard rock/metal unless you absolutely must have 7 cymbals in each song. I have a few friends who use EZ Drummer for various types of metal and they all use the standard Pop/Rock set for their sounds.

If I find the time to put together a comparison (probably on Friday) I'll show what I mean about the Pop/Rock vs. DKFH sets.
Last edited by ebon00 at Feb 11, 2009,
That'd be awesome! I think I know what you're trying to tell me though. Let me guess, the DKFH samples were recorded at louder volumes, and thus, the waveform is so compressed that there's little flexibility when it comes to working with it?

Yeah, I'm not looking for anything too crazy really. Good double kick sound, powerful snare, and probably alot of hi-hat, crash, and ride sounds. Maybe some china for fun as well.

Btw, I guess the kinds of metal I'm talking about are mainly melodic death metal, some metalcore, and thrash. And I could definitely use some advice on EQ and compression with the drum stuff, I'm kind of a recording n00b.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Since you're using ModPlug you could try the samples linked to in this post which will give you an idea of the sounds.
EZDrummer sounds very 'plastic-y' to me, I had to use it a while ago and really wasn't impressed. BFD is a definite step up, but for me XLN's 'Addictive Drums' [http://www.xlnaudio.com/?page=products&p_page=audio] is miles ahead of the competition. Although I enjoy mixing drums properly sometimes, being able to do all the mixing inside the plugin is incredibly useful, and it sounds brilliant. There's even presets so you get a fairly decent drum sound without having to spend forty mins messing with EQ levels and compression busses...

Have a listen to the track on my profile - the drums on that were programmed and fully mixed within about 15 minutes. Addictive Drums also has a demo version available, so have a go yourself.

There's also a brilliant freeware plugin called Mydrumset which is a similar affair to EZDrummer, except the drums are totally raw with no pre-mixing whatsoever. Give that a try too, though the simplicity of Addictive