Dude I don't try and set things to learn in a specific time limit, everyone learns differently. Some pick up teh theory faster, other develop a better ear etc. Just keep practicing thats still my method now I've been playing around 10 years.
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
Define "how far", that's a pretty broad spectrum there.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Skill-wise, I could play Metallica's "Orion", up to the part just after the interlude.

Theory-wise, I knew what I had learned in band, and a couple of scale patterns.

Groove-wise, I was still a young padawan.
Nope, no sig here.
i could play Anesthesia by Metallica with finger picking and In The Name Of Tragedy by Motorhead with using a pick, basically shows my speed and also fingerwork was very good
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
After a year... I Popped mah Low-end Cherry...

ooh yea.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
about 9 months in right now and i piss awesomeness
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I was about a year into it.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Well, for my first year I used what I knew from guitar, I didn't get too far, nailed some riffs and got my fingers up a bit of speed. Getting first lessons this year.
After 1 year of playing I was 12. I'm 21 now, good luck getting a real answer from me, but I'm just gonna go out there and say I was playing continuum in front of people with my eyes closed behind my back.

With my teeth.
i think i ddin't take bass seriously for a year or so, so i was probably terrible. This whole thread idea seems a tad strange though.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
i could finger pick and regular pick pretty fast, learned a few songs, fretting hand got faster, dad beat me up. good times
Cryptic Metaphor!

Quote by ZachisSuperCool
"How to finger the bass faster"
That's funny, I guess every high school has a really fat chick named The Bass.
Around about then i played Lamb of God covers at a gig. and didnt do too badly.
I've only actually been dedicated to my instrument for about a year, although I've had it for about three(General lack of interest caused by having no friends who had picked up an instrument at around the same time as I did).
Hi.
Quote by sloasdaylight
After 1 year of playing I was 12. I'm 21 now, good luck getting a real answer from me, but I'm just gonna go out there and say I was playing continuum in front of people with my eyes closed behind my back.

With my teeth

Nope, no sig here.
After one year... I'd been playing for a year
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Mutant Corn

why so confused, thats how i play guitar
Gear:

Encore Strat
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
Skill: C'mon girl, Red Hot chili Peppers
Theory: Pentatonic scale, Major/minor scales and chordprogressions.
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
Well I'll have been playing for 4 years in a few days, I was most likely not that great after one year. From what I remember it probably involved a lot of trying to get Hysteria right.

The most I've probably progressed has been this past month. It feels like everything's just twigging. I'm a lot faster and intricate, and my solos are gaining structure. Grade 6 has been the biggest challenge for me so far, and it's made me such a better player.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I mastered the wang slap after 4 months, but it had been my sole focus. I then switched to a pick, and managed to play 16th notes at 300bpm for 10 minutes at a time.

But seriously, it's hard to remember, and you should look forward in time, to what you want to achieve. It's ok reviewing your progress but there's no contest, everyone progresses differently.
signature
I can't remember but I know my tone was awful. I've listened to some old "name the bass line clips" and part of me just dies inside. My timing was relative and uneven.

My advise is don't judge yourself by others. Keep a record (both a practice diary and recorded) of your playing. It will help you focus in on the things that you need to improve and show you how far you've come. And remember,what may be easy to others will be hard for you and visa versa. I have never had problems with flamenco strumming on bass, while my slap skills are slow to progress. The opposite is true of another bass student at my studio.
I've been playing for a little over a year now, I guess all I can really say is that I'm a lot better than I was when I started. I guess for comparison... yesterday I looked at the tab for Killing in the name of, and got it down pretty much immediately. Hardest songs I can play are The Elephant Riders by Clutch, and Blood and Thunder by Mastodon.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
No.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
I seem to remember that I played with one finger almost at 90* to the string because I prefered it that way.
Kept me entertained...
my first year?

lets see, ahh yeah thats when i was giving vic wooten his first lessons.

lol
I play bass!
i've been playing for about 10 months... hardest/fastest song i can play...

prob laid to rest by lamb of god, idk how hard other ppl might say it is. i learned it a few months ago, though. i only really started to learn something new not to long ago, maybe a month, and i'm almost mastered Bite the Pain by Death
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
well i just passed my 1 year bass marker in january. i can slap-pop over 200bpm

i can write an awesome bassline for any type of music, im so music knowledgable i can go through so many scales, modes, etc. I'd say i've become great

edit: forgot to mention, but i also can read music EXCELLENTLY and i'm in our schools jazz band.

(i did play guitar a year before bass though.)
Try adding more delay.
Last edited by telecastrmastr at Feb 12, 2009,
I have amnesia, so how would I know how far I went after 1 year?

[Nah, jk]
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
I'm still only a year and a few months but so far i achieved my main goal with starting the instrument which was to get into my kick ass freinds band. I could play Bloodmeat and Sequoia Throne, theory i was bull and im still bull.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by TormentedRx
I could pluck the E string.

i think this one has beaten us all with skill
Gear:

Encore Strat
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R