Okay, so basically, I play reggae, and i just recently noticed that adding harmonicas is an option for reggae.

This doesnt really concern me directly since i do vocals, guitar, and ocassionally bass in my band, but i would still like to know, since my friend would be doing it, if we even decide to, what key is the harmonica in, on "Sun Is Shining" by Bob Marley?

Everybody in my band really like that sound, and that key, and if we decide to imply one, we want one in that key.

So yeah. Thanks.

My friend has one in the key of C, already. But he says he cant really nail the sound. (He is basically the 'wind guy' in the band. He alreadyocassionally plays the sax, just for the record.)
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Quote by SHAUNYSHAUN1234
It depends what key the song is played in dont it?

Not really.

A diatonic harmonica is designed so, that when you have on in C, it's basically only good for playing in C, because the half-notes aren't there. If you have chromatic one, you can do more. I take it the TS's mate has a diatonic?
Yeah. I asked him, and he says it's a diatonic C.

o.o I really know nothing about harmonicas.

All I can say, is, the one he has is definitely a higher pitch, i think.
And some of the notes you hear on sun is shining can't be produced on the one he has.

So clearly, it's in a different key, and we need a new one, we just need to know what key would be [close to] the one that is used in Sun Is Shining.

A lot of harmonicas produce sounds that I, personally, don't think fit in with reggae, and that one in that song does. So, yeah.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!