Alright - yes, there is one other thread, but it's from 2006 and has like, 5 posts. I think that's dead enough.

Samael are one of my favorite bands of all time, if you like Immortal then this is definitely the band for you. They started off as a highly influential 2nd Wave Black Metal band from Switzerland, moved on to incorporate more industrial sounds in their music, finally becoming a full on industrial band.

Ceremony of Opposites is definitely a must have, along with Worship Him.

MySpace

And a little timeline of their different sounds:

Baphomet's Throne

Jupiterian Vibe

Slavocracy
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Samael are one of my favorite bands of all time, if you like Immortal then this is definitely the band for you.

Sweet. I've been meaning to check out this band at some point, and have also been enjoying Immortal a lot lately, so... sounds like I have some listening/downloading to do.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Check out Ceremony of Opposites for sure, the riffage in that album is incredible.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
The change in sound over those 3 videos is quite extreme...

Anyway I'm about 2/3 of the way through listening to Ceremony of Opposites - excellent stuff, Baphomet's Throne and Crown in particular so far. Vorph's vocals are awesome.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Yeah, they changed a lot. Vorph has said in interviews that fans are always asking him why he doesn't go back to making Black Metal and he says he's happy making the music he does now, so yeah

How're you liking the riffs in Ceremony? I love how creative they are to be honest.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Bump, because ceremony of opposites is the ****

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Not a fan of any post-Ceremony stuff, but Worship Him and Ceremony of the Opposites are fantastic.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Not a fan of any post-Ceremony stuff, but Worship Him and Ceremony of the Opposites are fantastic.

You forgot Blood Ritual!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Above is fucking quality, First time i've checked them out and it tore my nipples off.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Check out their older stuff. It's alot different.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Yeah, their older stuff is different and it's all quality.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
You will see no more......After The Sepulture.......

so simple, yet deadly.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
i saw them with carcass......
i thought they were pretty repetitive and boring.... =/
I just purchased it today.

The artwork is as awesome as the album.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Hahah, I did too!

I still need to check out the rest of their stuff, but I saw it for $12.99 at HMV, remembered seeing this thread, and snagged it.

It's stil the only album I have by them.

From what I gather, the most recent era was more Indsutrial/Electronic, as opposed to the Black Metal of their earlier years.

Hearing Above definitely warrants further inspection though, it's already in my top 3 for this year.
LAMMERGEIER
I looked them up a little while ago. The first song I heard was "Slavocracy". It made me laugh to heard to bother looking into anything else.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Listen to their older stuff, it's very different.

I still haven't even gotten a chance to check out Above, but now that I'm back in Kuwait with real internet I'm going to acquire it.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Yeah, I figured it wasn't their best but that first impression was just too great.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
It's not that horrible
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Have you seen the video? That combined with the keyboard part was just too much for me.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Woah-ho-ho. I just checked out some stuff from Above. If I don't believe that's the same band.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Quote by moogaar
i saw them with carcass......
i thought they were pretty repetitive and boring.... =/

I saw them with carcass and I thought they were fantastic. I dug that they played Baphomet's Throne.

(California Metalfest?)
this band must be recognised.

Baphomets Throne is pretty sick.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Firenze
Listen to their older stuff, it's very different.

I still haven't even gotten a chance to check out Above, but now that I'm back in Kuwait with real internet I'm going to acquire it.

One of my favourite bands also.

I suggest you do check out Above...quite fast and insane and as Monolith295 said...its very different... far removed from Solar Soul.
Jupiterian Vibe was one of the first videos to REALLY open my eyes. Bumping because Samael doesn't get near enough love in this forum.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Into.... The..... Pentagram!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
From what I've heard of the first album, I really need to get the first fkn' album.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Theres a new LP box with cd and tshirt out of Worship Him...prrrrrrrrrrrrrricey though.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Yeah, they want like 80 bucks for it I'll settle for just a CD this time around.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Yeah I just have the reissue, something like €8 or thereabouts. Can definitely see how Necros Christos were influenced by these guys.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
It's a damned shame I don't think I'll be able to get into the other albums. I was just listening to some of the second and third, and I noticed an extreme decrease in energy. Are the entire albums like that?
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

I think the first 3 full-lengths are brilliant, but they do get less obscure and weird as they go along. Still great though. Everything else is muck pretty much. 'Above' is a return to roots but I never really clicked with that album.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I suppose I'll have to just give em a go one of these days.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -