Hey all.

I'm starting to look into building my new guitar (first time).

I've been looking around at sites for already cut and made guitar bodies. I came across an american site (thanks to the sticky), www.warmoth.com.

There i found a very nice body (Soloist flat top) here.

I have a few questions about various things:

1) Which would be the best wood to have it made out of?
2) Any other things I should know before starting to order this body?

Thanks a lot.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
it all depends on what kind of sound you want. I've done the Warmoth thing before and was quite satisfied. I got a black Korina tele body from the closeout dept., very reasonable.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
Quote by isaac_bandits
I would order a neck before ordering a body... Bodies aren't too hard to make...

Quote by cmost_LP
i would just buy a new one : )

Did he ask what you would do? I find it annoying that people will work hard to end forums because they don't agree with the categorization, while there are no safeguards against retarded replies like these ones.

With respect to your question, check out Warmoth's section on tone woods, they help explain a bit what each wood is good for.
Quote by tanman

With respect to your question, check out Warmoth's section on tone woods, they help explain a bit what each wood is good for.

or search here for the tonewood thread.
Thanks for the replies.

I think i'll go with mahogany. It was my first though, but I wanted to check it would sound good

I know that Les Pauls are (or used to be, at least) made out of mahogany, and I love their sound.

Regarding painting.

If i home-painted, with say a can of spray paint, what would I need to give it a good finish?

I want to home paint, because I want a logo in the top left hand of the guitar (the blink-182 smile), and I don't think custom shops would give me an option to put that on
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Sorry for the double post, but..thinking about it, if I buy the body from there, does anyone know of any companys in the UK that would paint it customly, like I want?

I just want it solid black with the logo in white, and i'm thinking about racing stripes too..
Quote by alaskan_ninja

haha