Hey all, I havent been on here in a while so to those of you (if any) who i used to know, hey again. umm im tryin to get back into playin guitar but ive stumbled on an old problem i used to have and its pissin me off. everytime i try to bend (especially more than a half step) i hit the next string(s) with my bending finger and it rings out loud and ugly. im wondering if there are any techniques that can help me not hit that string especially when im tryin to play a quick lick or something. id appreciate any constructive feedback (sorry trollers) thanks in advance.
Booyashaka
Curve your finger(s) to mute the strings you don't want to hit. Muting the strings you don't play with your picking hand's palm also works. Personally I do both just in case one doesn't work.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
the finger tips on your fretting hand should mute any strings you bend into (even two strings up). In addition, your picking hand should be muting all the strings ABOVE where you are playing. So between these two factors, you shouldn't have an issue.

Practice palm muting by playing scales silently
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
^^Generally, you mute the strings ABOVE where you are playing thing the rest of your finger, and BELLOW with your picking hand. Not the other way around.
jesus, i guess this is just one of the problems with learning by urself, i had no idea that i was actually sposed to mute all strings that im not playing... back to the basics i guess, thanks.
Booyashaka
Quote by handlerb
the finger tips on your fretting hand should mute any strings you bend into (even two strings up). In addition, your picking hand should be muting all the strings ABOVE where you are playing. So between these two factors, you shouldn't have an issue.

Practice palm muting by playing scales silently

This is what i do and it works
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
i had to cut my fingernails some cuz the string would catch on them and it just was annoying to me.

on a random ass note completely unrelated to ur bending problem kinda, a good way to practice bending is to plug into a tuner so u kno when u hit that right note. Once u start off with bad techniques it will b hard to break
i use my finger nail to scoop the next string up and bend under it, or i mute the next string, depends on what sounds best for that song
hey all, ive been practicing you guys' techniques and i have it down now, thanks SO much everyone.
Booyashaka
i used to either mute the strings with my right hand or the finger next to the bending finger but then one day i cut my fingernails and halleluya i hardly ever need to do that anymore+my playing got instantly twice as fast and clean! from there on ive been a loyal fan of manicure.