Hi-
I am getting a Twin Reverb RI and I really like it and everything, but I have a problem of not turning it up past like "2". Now, it dosen't sound bad on two. But, the loudness issue is the only problem I have with this amp. So, as far as I can see, I have 3-4 options. One is to just run it on low volume like 2 or 3 and maybe change the tubes or speakers to better accomedate the lower volumes. Two, would be get an Attenunator like a THD Hotplate. Three, would be to pull the two outside power tubes and run it on two power tubes. Four, would be to take it back and get a Deluxe Reverb, which is think is too little power, plus I think the twin sounds fuller and punchier. I really don't want to have to do that. The first option is the easiest. Somebody suggested I get Weber Cali speakers and get softer power tubes than the Groove Tubes that come with the amp. I also heard putting in some different preamp tubes to decrease the volume. And somebody also suggest THD Yellowjackets, which are like adapters to use different power tubes. The Attenunator sounds good , but I heard they suck tone. Im looking at the THD Hotplate. Pulling the tubes, I heard is bad for the transformer and it dosen't sound as good. And the fourth option, I really don't want to do because I love the twin. The only issue is the loudness. Of course I don't think any of these will fix the problem, but will diffenitly help it. So, which of these is the best option that sucks tone the least? I am not trying to overdrive the Twin because trying to overdrive the twin is damn near crazy. But, Im just simply trying to get better tone at low volume. Because if you crank it past 3 it sounds better than on 2. But, still sounds awesome on "2" IMO. So, I could live with it, but Im trying to get more warmth out of it cuz you can
If you have the cash, put new speakers in it...get the lowest sensitivity possible.

The yellowjackets will pretty dramatically alter your tone.

attenuator works, but changes the tone a bit.

One possibility would be to replace one or both sets of 6L6s with 6V6s...though, you'd need an amp tech to look over things, 6V6s don't have the same voltage rating as 6L6s...plus, to keep the brightness with 6V6s, you'd prolly want to have a tech add bright cap somewhere. Probably.

If you have the cash to burn, lower snesitivity speakers + maybe an attenuator is where I'd go with it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
get a hotplate, or run an od pedal in front of it at low volumes to emulate breakup, i dont suggest messing with the tubes or speakers.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Will the new speakers make the amp less loud? I don't know, the speakers are pretty expensive, especially if I buy a attenunator. If I buy the attenunator now, I cannot afford the new speakers right now. Is the THD Hotplate a good attenunator? I heard bad things about 6V6's in a Twin. Dosen't sound like a good idea. But, I was told to "softer" 6L6's. Also, to replace a couple of the 12AX7's with 12AY7's I believe??
Thanks-
The Deluxe Reverb is definitely not too little power, hell, even a Princeton or a Champ, with the DR on 3/4 and the champ at about 8/9 would still be very loud.

Attenuator, or a Princeton would be your best bet. I know I said the Princeton was too loud, but 15 watts through a single 10" speaker and it gets incredible breakup.

Said incredible breakup

Granted this guys tone has a good amount of mids, but it's played on a Les Paul, Princeton RI at 10, no pedals.
Call me: Will

Gear that I'm using most, in their respective colors:
Squier MIJ '62 Strat reissue
Orville '62 SG reissue
1972 Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp with various kinds of pedals.

My band, Cusche!
Quote by asdaven
Hi-
I am getting a Twin Reverb RI and I really like it and everything, but I have a problem of not turning it up past like "2". Now, it dosen't sound bad on two. But, the loudness issue is the only problem I have with this amp. So, as far as I can see, I have 3-4 options. One is to just run it on low volume like 2 or 3 and maybe change the tubes or speakers to better accomedate the lower volumes. Two, would be get an Attenunator like a THD Hotplate. Three, would be to pull the two outside power tubes and run it on two power tubes. Four, would be to take it back and get a Deluxe Reverb, which is think is too little power, plus I think the twin sounds fuller and punchier. I really don't want to have to do that. The first option is the easiest. Somebody suggested I get Weber Cali speakers and get softer power tubes than the Groove Tubes that come with the amp. I also heard putting in some different preamp tubes to decrease the volume. And somebody also suggest THD Yellowjackets, which are like adapters to use different power tubes. The Attenunator sounds good , but I heard they suck tone. Im looking at the THD Hotplate. Pulling the tubes, I heard is bad for the transformer and it dosen't sound as good. And the fourth option, I really don't want to do because I love the twin. The only issue is the loudness. Of course I don't think any of these will fix the problem, but will diffenitly help it. So, which of these is the best option that sucks tone the least? I am not trying to overdrive the Twin because trying to overdrive the twin is damn near crazy. But, Im just simply trying to get better tone at low volume. Because if you crank it past 3 it sounds better than on 2. But, still sounds awesome on "2" IMO. So, I could live with it, but Im trying to get more warmth out of it cuz you can

Wait... I don't get it. Why do you think the knobs should be louder than 2? Sure they sound great when you get them LOUD at 4-5, but a Twin is a LOUD amp.

Get an MXR Dyna Comp, and crank the output on the pedal, set the threshold at around 1 o'clock
A attenunator would allow me to run the amp on volume 4 or 5 at a volume two sound level. Thats what im trying to do. Or to lower the headroom somehow like pulling the tubes to lower the "sweet spot" closer to volume two. Not trying to get break up all, just trying to get warmer clean tones out of the lower volume.
You would really be better off with a Princeton or DRRI from the way it sounds. The twin sounds best when pushed but that's friggin loud. Why are you buying a twin if you need a low(er) volume amp in the first place?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Im playing over a drummer and with a band. With the Deluxe Reverb, I feel that its barely enough clean headroom over a drummer and the rest of the band. I rather have the twin reverb. Im fine with the twin reverb on three with the band. But, when im practicing in my house, its too loud. I need a amp with the power of a twin but be able to turn it down to household not necessarly bedroom levels. As I see it, the twin can be turned down whether playing it on low volume, with a attenunator, pulling tubes,etc. With a Deluxe Reverb, it might be enough, but risk not being enough to stay clean over a loud band. Nothing really you can do about that. So, rather have more than enough with the twin
Why does everyone think the Deluxe cannot stay clean? On the second input on the Normal channel, it's loud as he'll, and barely any breakup.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
get a super reverb. its better sounding anyway.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well, people like me like excess Anyhow, the Super Reverb is a cool amp and i like the sound of it, but I like the sound of a twin reverb better IMO. I have a special attachment to the twin reverb. It is usually considered the "best" of all time fender amp, So, why are people always hating on it? The Super and Deluxe are all awesome amps too, i just like the Twin a little bit better. I didin't pick it cuz its more power, quite simply its what I thought that sounded the best. The Super Reverb is a very close second, but I personally like 2x12's better than 4x10's. So, thats my little rant about that. So, it sounds like the attenunator will be the most versitile and effecient option on lowering the volume because I will go from playing gigs in small and big places, some unmiked, then practicing in my house. An attenunator would allow me to adjust for all of these situations. I can change the speaker and tubes also, but I think i want to stick with the 6L6's, the 12AT7's, and the 12AX7's that the amp is made for. But, from what i hear that covers a long range of tubes. What do you reccomend for tubes, JJ's? As far as speakers, put Weber Cali's in it? As far as the attenunator, is the THD Hotplate or Weber MASS better? I could also pull the two power tubes, but thats not what the amp is made to do and you have to make adjustments to do that long term and still the amp does not want to do that!! So, for right now, I ll think about getting an attenunator. Or i can forget about doing anything all together and just run it at low volume. And then possibly down the line new speaker. And when the tubes go, higher quality tubes!
Thanks-
Twin the best of Fender? Ever heard of a Showman or a Bassman?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I love the '59 Bassman too. But, total different sound than blackface amps. It is debatable whether tweed or blackface is better. In the blackface, you could debate between a super or twin reverb or other ones. Its personal preference IMO. IMO, I like the Blackface the best and in the blackface series, the Twin Reverb is my fav.
PS: What attenunator should i go with? Weber MASS or THD Hotplate?
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
Thanks-

Do not get an attenuator. They are expensive and sound horrible.

They will not give you a cranked tube sound, just a thin and feeble one.

Just use your amp at 2.
well if its still too loud, get the mini twin, also known as the pro reverb. its a 40 watt reverb amp with 2 12s.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Too bad that don't make a reissue of the Pro Reverb. Thats what I would want, a Super Reverb with 2x12's. Anyhow, I pretty much have gone through with the purchase on the twin reverb and I like it and Im going to keep it. Any suggestions for getting "softer" tubes?
Thanks-
haha this is pretty funny. I just picked up a couple yellowjackets, and I'm planning on dropping two tubes in my twin, putting in the yellow jackets to replace the other two, and cutting one of the speakers out. Theoretically, this'll my twin 25 watts, instead of 100. I'll let you know in a few days how it goes, if you want.
Gear:
-Saga strat, modded with guitarfetish p/ups
-epiphone abomination (don't know what it's called) with scalloped neck and power rails gfs p/up
-Fender Twin Reverb
-Blues screamer pedal
-Boss Turbo overdrive
Quote by asdaven
Thanks-

I think you'd do well with a MASS.
To address what Mike! said, the problem most people have with attenuators is that they expect to crank their amp to 11 and then bring that 100 watt roar down to conversation volume so they can play their JCM800 in their bedroom. That's really not what attenuators are for, and that will sound like crap.

What most attenuators do fairly well is to knock a bit of the volume down so you can run your amp a bit more and get the power tubes working, which is exactly what you want, so go for it. The trick with an attenuator is to dial the tone of your amp in without it so it's too loud, then introduce the attenuator and turn it up just enough to get the volume to the level you want.

I toyed with the idea of selling attenuators a while ago but gave up because everyone who wanted one had a 100w valveking and wanted to dime the knobs and then play it in their bedroom, and I can't make an attenuator for a decent price that will do that. Nobody can.
Quote by chea_man
get a super reverb. its better sounding anyway.

I love you.
Quote by imgooley
I love you.

love you too!

and getting a half power switch wont help a great deal. youll get about 3 less decibals. (the same as taking out 2 tubes, but that changes the ohmage i beleive.) you could bias it to take 6v6s, which alone would bring you down to around 40 or 50 watts i think, and then pull two tubes, which would get you down to deluxe reverb levels, but with 2 12s.
or get an attenuator so you can turn up and bring it down to a reasonable stage volume. your not gonna turn it into a bedroom amp though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I just want to turn it down to Super Reverb levels. I play real loud in my house anyhow with my current amp, not what i call bedroom levels . My goal is not really to make the amp much quieter, but I think running on two tubes would allow it to "sparkle" more at lower volume setting. This is my goal.
I thought Twins, at least all of the 70's one's I've played have a master volume?

When I gig, and the places I gig tend to have a Silverface twin or two sitting around. I usually find running the master at about 7 allows me to push the amp's volume up to the 4-5 level without losing the thickness or sparkle, and without killing everyone in the club. Keep in mind - Jazz clubs don't play at too much above personal playing volumes.

Now, if it doesn't feature a master volume, there's still a few fixes to be had.. try running the bass at about 3, mids at 2 or so, treble at 6 and try the bright switch. It's allowed me to get a nice chimy tone at really quiet volumes on most Fender voiced non master volume amps.

There is the option of an attenuator - they only really sound like crap if you really force them down to their minimum settings.

Your final option, I haven't looked into the pricing of yet but I read about it in Premier guitar the other month: http://www.fluxtonespeakers.com/

Basically speakers with attenuators added to them, meaning the speakers are still driving at full volume but the amount of air pushed is limited creating a quieter sound without losing the tone. Reviews seem very positive and they appear to work as advertised. I haven't tested them yet but I intend to some time within a few months.
Wait till your parents leave and wear ear plugs?

That's what I do

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Roc8995
I think you'd do well with a MASS.
To address what Mike! said, the problem most people have with attenuators is that they expect to crank their amp to 11 and then bring that 100 watt roar down to conversation volume so they can play their JCM800 in their bedroom. That's really not what attenuators are for, and that will sound like crap.

What most attenuators do fairly well is to knock a bit of the volume down so you can run your amp a bit more and get the power tubes working, which is exactly what you want, so go for it. The trick with an attenuator is to dial the tone of your amp in without it so it's too loud, then introduce the attenuator and turn it up just enough to get the volume to the level you want.

I toyed with the idea of selling attenuators a while ago but gave up because everyone who wanted one had a 100w valveking and wanted to dime the knobs and then play it in their bedroom, and I can't make an attenuator for a decent price that will do that. Nobody can.

Yes, but the problem is that he wants to have the amp's volume at 2. I completely agree with what you're saying and that's why I still don't suggest an attenuator.
What about getting a master volume installed? Thats a mod that can be done.
I got my amp today. I love it! I don't think i need an attenunator or anything at all. It sounds fine on 2 or 3. And i could imagine cranking to 4 or possibly 5 with drums and other instruments.
Just a report back; I did try the yellow jackets, and they dropped the volume substantially (at least 40% probably more). I could put it at ten and it was like what 6 was previously. However, the amp lost the sparkle and became very class A like. I can see a lot of people liking it, I mean it broke up with the volume at practically 1.5, but for me personally, I immediately missed the swirling cleans of the previous tube set-up. So, I switched to just using two of the original tubes and disengaging one speaker, which reduced the volume, but still not to practice amp level

However, there was a quirk that I was wondering if anyone could explain. When I had the yellowjackets in and I was really driving the tubes something weird happened. I would play a single note and then do a power chord or something and the volume would dramatically decrease. The volume of single notes was MUCH louder playing a single note than playing two or more notes.
Gear:
-Saga strat, modded with guitarfetish p/ups
-epiphone abomination (don't know what it's called) with scalloped neck and power rails gfs p/up
-Fender Twin Reverb
-Blues screamer pedal
-Boss Turbo overdrive
Hah, i cranked my amp up to 10 today inside my basement!! Defenitly not for the faint of heart. But, i was getting breakup past 5. 3-3.5 seems like a good low-volume setting. 3 is substantially sounding than two but it dosen't sound too bad on two either. I don't really want to do anything substantial about it. 3 is not that loud. And i don't want to go pulling tubes or disconnecting speakers either. And the attenunator is out of the question! I don't want anything touching my tone that im getting out of it. The only thing i can see doing is buying "softer tubes" when it comes time to change the power tubes. They are sovteks in there now. Im thinking like jj's or something along those lines. How do i know that both of the speakers are working and all of the power tubes?
Thanks-