I have a Fender American Strat and it's my first guitar. I have recently been offered to trade it for a ESP KH-2. I play alot of metallica and find my strat doesn't get that heavy sound, but I also love to play the blues and the strat is perfect for it. I am really torn between these two guitars and would appreciate anybody's input if this is a good trade to make!!
Attachments:
Fender_American_Strat_Charcoal_RW.jpg
esp_kh2.jpg
its a good trade.

but most importantly

do you want a double locking trem? does it feel good to you?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
If you like clean tones, don't go for the KH-2 . and what's your amp ? the Kh-2 has EMG's that won't go well through a lot of amps .. and you have an american standard strat as your first guitar ? ;D
Quote by Woozye
If you like clean tones, don't go for the KH-2 . and what's your amp ? the Kh-2 has EMG's that won't go well through a lot of amps .. and you have an american standard strat as your first guitar ? ;D

you will be fine with a clean tone on the KH-2.

This comment is just another regurgitated bandwagon opinion
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
i wouldnt trade it, its your first guitar, and a good one at that. id hang on to the strat, you can always buy a new guitar, but once your first one is gone you cant get it back. i traded my first guitar (epi les paul goldtop) for a jackson soloist and i wish I had the les paul back. (not because I dont like the jackson, but I wanted to hang onto my first guitar)
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
^try to recreate the bluesy tone you can get from a Strat on a KH-2
if you like everything about the strat stick with it and just put a high output humbucker in the bridge for when its time to rip. theres even stacked humbuckers that sound a lot like their traditional counterparts that would fit right into the pickguard without modification. trust me as soon as the strat is gone you will miss it.
Quote by Woozye
Agreed. There is no way EMGs can produce the tone you get from singles, especially on an American strat.
Quote by Woozye

comparing apples to oranges here buddy!

overall a clean tone on the KH-2 will good. It won't be a strat, but its not really trying to be
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by loudog93
strat = god

don't trade a piece of beauty for a metal guitar

Wow, um, I'm a Fender guy myself, but isn't that a bit, well, bias?

Anyway, TS, go play one in GC or a similar store before deciding; they're very different guitars, you're definitely going to feel a difference and like one and not like the other.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Wow, um, I'm a Fender guy myself, but isn't that a bit, well, bias?

Anyway, TS, go play one in GC or a similar store before deciding; they're very different guitars, you're definitely going to feel a difference and like one and not like the other.

i vote just put a high out put passive humbucker in the bridge so you can get both. I am not being bias, but strats are more popular than esp for a reason
Quote by loudog93
i vote just put a high out put passive humbucker in the bridge so you can get both. I am not being bias, but strats are more popular than esp for a reason

Yes, because they've been going longer.
RULE BRITANNIA
Okay, here's the deal.

People are bandwagoning, again.
EMGs are high output, yes, but you can still get wonderful cleans off an EMG-81.
If I were you, I'd make the trade, for the simple reason of, the KH-2 is a $2,600 guitar, and the American Strat is about $999.
You can always buy another Strat later.

Besides, I personally prefer the KH-2.

And, the KH-2 is a quality instrument.
It is by far, superior to the American Strat.
It's made to the exact specs of Kirk's ESPs that he takes on the road, and I believe it's handcrafted.

* Bolt-On (Or Neck-Thru-Body, depending on which KH-2 you get)
* 25.5” Scale
* Alder Body
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* Locking Nut
* 42mm Neck Width
* Extra Thin Flat Neck Contour (Or ultra thin U neck contour, if you get the neck-thru-body KH-2)
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Hardware
* Gotoh Tuners
* Floyd Rose Original Bridge
* EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u.
* Finish: BLK

BTW, EMG-60s are awesome for clean tones, don't believe the bandwagon.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I would also go for the KH-2 and I'm not even a huge fan of Krik Hamlet.

Sig'd.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
^^

Anyways, ok, it may be a good trade but you can easily get tired of the EMG's, and okay, you can get good clean tones from them, but if TS loves to play the blues .. It won't be the same thing.

Try them both and go with what suits your needs, and you can always modify the wiring and pickup arrangement on the Strat: maybe go with an HSS , and put a nice pickup on the bridge for metal , early metallica used passive pickups .

Just giving a suggestion here

Edit:
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Okay, here's the deal.

People are bandwagoning, again.
EMGs are high output, yes, but you can still get wonderful cleans off an EMG-81.
If I were you, I'd make the trade, for the simple reason of, the KH-2 is a $2,600 guitar, and the American Strat is about $999.
You can always buy another Strat later.

Besides, I personally prefer the KH-2.

And, the KH-2 is a quality instrument.
It is by far, superior to the American Strat.
It's made to the exact specs of Kirk's ESPs that he takes on the road, and I believe it's handcrafted.

* Bolt-On (Or Neck-Thru-Body, depending on which KH-2 you get)
* 25.5” Scale
* Alder Body
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* Locking Nut
* 42mm Neck Width
* Extra Thin Flat Neck Contour (Or ultra thin U neck contour, if you get the neck-thru-body KH-2)
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Hardware
* Gotoh Tuners
* Floyd Rose Original Bridge
* EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u.
* Finish: BLK

BTW, EMG-60s are awesome for clean tones, don't believe the bandwagon.

I'm not trying to throw down the KH-2, I agree it's a fine instrument.

Try them both, side to side.

And what's your amp ?
Last edited by Woozye at Feb 11, 2009,
like people said, I think the best thing to do is keep the strat and put a hot humbucker in the bridge. The Strat would be more versatile to handle the music you play than the ESP.

No offense to the TS, but isn't this kinda why a guitar like an American Strat isn't the best first guitar for someone starting out? I mean, you don't really know what you want at this stage....