After a lot of time and adjustment to my guitar I have finally gotten it where my strings have fairly low action and doesn't buzz on any of the 24 frets. Problem is I have to use .09 string gauge to do this. I like to play anywhere between standard and drop c so I'd like to use .11 string gauge. What are the things I should do to make this happen and still keep it from buzzing on the higher frets?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
I'd take it in to a shop. It most likely has a slightly warped neck or the frets may be high in some places than others. A good luthier can fix all that for you and it usually is pretty cheap(I only paid 40 bucks for them to fix a bowed neck and fix my frets).
Take it to a shop and tell them to set it up for 11's. A guitar should be set up differently for thicker or thinner strings. Should be about $50 but it should play much better.
Well I know how to adjust my guitar now as far as the truss rod and bridge goes. Do you know what I would need to do? I figure an adjustment is needed with the truss rod if I go up two gauges.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
I'd take it in to a shop. It most likely has a slightly warped neck or the frets may be high in some places than others. A good luthier can fix all that for you and it usually is pretty cheap(I only paid 40 bucks for them to fix a bowed neck and fix my frets).

why the hell would you say it has a warped neck from what he said. he said nothing about a warped neck, but said how his action was perfect... thank you angus.... thank you...

as for your guitar, the 11s should need a truss rod adjustment. that should be all you have to do, maybe a slight bridge hight adjustment, but these are going to be small, the setup that you did already is stlll a great base for what you are going to need to do, so all that is left is small tweaks to make it perfect. i usually wait about 2 days before i change the truss rod after i change string gauges. this lets the wood bend to where it needs to be, then you simply bend it back to straight. thicker strings are usually less likely to buzz. let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to laugh at angus^^^^^
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte