Hey guys,

This is not a new guitar for me, I have 7 and one bass.

recently, I've been teaching four very poor students guitar for free.

But the problem is that THEY don;t have guitars to practice at their home.

To give you a picture of how destitute they are: one of them lives in a 400 Square foot apartment with five other family members, and there are no windows.

And because they are so humble, they said that ANY guitar will do.

Now, I'm not say that I want to be cheap, but What guitars should I get them that is cheap but decent?

I'm completely clueless because My first guitar was an ancient LP standard used by my dad when he was a kid. And I never had a guitar under $700

Will Squire do the job??

And also, Which amp Should I get them? It doesn't have to be loud at all, they live in housing project remember?

Please I really need your help, ANY input will be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote by Nexium
Ive accidently busted my nut.
I think a squier would be perfect, really just the squier starter package if you're gonna get them an amp too. Kudos to you, this sounds like a really, really nice thing to do.
I think squire would do it, like those little starter pack things should work, they come with an amp and a guitar and a cable to plug it in with.
I'm FAT!
why not get them some cheap acoustic? $100 or less.... By the time they the acoustic down, they could save up money and buy there own electric... this way you dont have to buy an amp.
Quote by ILL BisCuiT
why not get them some cheap acoustic? $100 or less.... By the time they the acoustic down, they could save up money and buy there own electric... this way you dont have to buy an amp.

I think the point is that they're poor. I doubt if they are living in a apartment with other families that they are gonna save up enough to buy their own electric.
I looked it up, I didn't even know they had those starter packages.

Are those decent?

And I don't think you get it, if they could save up to get their own guitars, I wouldn't be doing this.
Quote by Nexium
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
I think the point is that they're poor. I doubt if they are living in a apartment with other families that they are gonna save up enough to buy their own electric.

I would agree, it seems that they would put any money to family support, not to personal luxuries such as a guitar.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by chriskhng
I looked it up, I didn't even know they had those starter packages.

Are those decent?

And I don't think you get it, if they could save up to get their own guitars, I wouldn't be doing this.

They really aren't bad for a beginner. The guitar itself is alright, the amp isn't great but it plays ya know? Plus I think it comes with picks, straps, and a cable, maybe even a book and tuner.
i would be kinda leary of the family members possibly selling it. not to disrespect you, but when you are living in poverty and have mouths to feed, a guitar would equal food. i would honestly try a few pawn shops or a large retail store for a VERY cheap option.
My answer to the person above me is mabye music can give them an escape to the harsh reality that they face, these people arent looking for a gibson custom shop, they are looking for something that they can learn and possibly master the art on. Listen i started with a dean evo package with a small 15 watt amp. I love that guitar and have kept it with minor modifications. I would say that the dean playmate would be a great starter kit for these people. Your doing the world a good service by helping them, keep it up and dont listen to criticism that anyone throws at you.
Quote by Bkennedy88
My answer to the person above me is mabye music can give them an escape to the harsh reality that they face, these people arent looking for a gibson custom shop, they are looking for something that they can learn and possibly master the art on. Listen i started with a dean evo package with a small 15 watt amp. I love that guitar and have kept it with minor modifications. I would say that the dean playmate would be a great starter kit for these people. Your doing the world a good service by helping them, keep it up and dont listen to criticism that anyone throws at you.

i didnt mean the person you are teaching would sell it. i just meant that if you are handing over a brand new guitar to a person that lives with 5 other poor people i would hate to see the person you bought the guitar for end up with a missing guitar.
Why would the family member sell something that will open up job opportunities for their son? And something that is given for free? and a thing that can bring joy, Something they would love, to their child?

EDIT: Oh, they don;t live with random people. They live with their family, which includes, their mother, father, grandparents, and a sibling or two.
Quote by Nexium
Last edited by chriskhng at Feb 11, 2009,
I'm sure any guitar would do. Squier would be a very good guitar for them. Do they all live in the same housing project? I was gonna suggest sharing one or two amplifiers, but it seems that's not that case, after I went back for a reread. But I'm sure those Squier packs, or something along those lines, would work fine.

You seem like a nice guy. Teaching for free and buying them instruments.

See all, that is a real musician right there. Spreading around the joy of music regardless of any cost to himself.

Kudos, man.

EDIT: Well, let's see, I think I understand what he might be getting at. They are poor, right? Well, whereabouts do you live? Because like, I dunno... I'm not saying this is the case by the way... but like, what if they needed drug money? I know that sounds bad, I'm sorry, but do you know for sure? I'm sure they wouldn't actually sell their son's guitar, especially under the circumstances in which he is given it, so no worries.

Again, not saying they'd sell it for drug money or whatever, but I have heard things about those types of housing projects.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Feb 11, 2009,
I would usually steer people away from the Squier starter packs, but it seems too perfect.
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by chriskhng
Why would the family member sell something that will open up job opportunities for their son? And something that is given for free? and a thing that can bring joy, Something they would love, to their child?

EDIT: Oh, they don;t live with random people. They live with their family, which includes, their mother, father, grandparents, and a sibling or two.

and i can tell you have never been poor.
Alright! Thanks guys, I called up a the guitar shop i go to. they have the ibanez counterpart of it, but they can order the squire if needed. So I'm going to check it out a bit later and see what happens.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Look. I've met their parents, their families. They just didn;t have a chance to have a say in the world. They just want their children to have the privileges that they never had even if it isn;t much that they can provide, and I am sure that they will keep their word and not destroy or take away the joy for their children. But Thanks for your concerns. I understand what a "Streotypical housing project" look like. but it actually different.
Quote by Nexium
Last edited by chriskhng at Feb 11, 2009,
For the record, if I owned that guitar shop, I would give you a massive discount, just because of the service you're doing for these less fortunate kids. Just to let you know.
look man, i agree for you to give the gift of music. and one day someone you gave the guitar to may become famous! that is awesome. but one thing you have to relize is that one of those guitars may end up missing. dont take it personally! when you are poor its not a matter of right or wrong. its a guitar or food! i have been poor. yes it is great to have something to keep your mind off things. but when you are hungry and live with 5 other people as you mentioned. things WILL happen.
if you just want suggestions on guitars, squire are a good beginner guitar. ibanez also has a starter package. if you have the money to spend go to the music store. a great alternative is many mass produced starter packages that are a bit cheaper and available at most larger retail stores. i prefer ibanez guitars when buying from a music store

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-IJX121
Last edited by jymellis at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by jymellis
look man, i agree for you to give the gift of music. and one day someone you gave the guitar to may become famous! that is awesome. but one thing you have to relize is that one of those guitars may end up missing. dont take it personally! when you are poor its not a matter of right or wrong. its a guitar or food! i have been poor. yes it is great to have something to keep your mind off things. but when you are hungry and live with 5 other people as you mentioned. things WILL happen.

I think I gave out the wrong picture, they aren't THAT poor. But just poor enough to not be able to afford a guitar that's all.
Quote by Nexium
Just throwing out possibilities, my friend. But if you've met with them, etc. I'm sure it will all go smoothly. Heck, it'll probably brighten their days up, having a family member playing them some music.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Just throwing out possibilities, my friend. But if you've met with them, etc. I'm sure it will all go smoothly. Heck, it'll probably brighten their days up, having a family member playing them some music.

thats for sure!!
Those Ibanez starter packs seem a little expensive to buy for 5 kids...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/electric-guitar-value-packages?N=100001+306243

Have a look here to get an idea. It's a list of all the value packs Musician's Friend has. Surely you can get an idea.

EDIT: Nvm they all seem to be generally around that price.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Those Ibanez starter packs seem a little expensive to buy for 5 kids...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/electric-guitar-value-packages?N=100001+306243

Have a look here to get an idea. It's a list of all the value packs Musician's Friend has. Surely you can get an idea.

I looked at that before, I was going to talk to the guitar shop guys, and see what I can do. Thanks a lot.
Quote by Nexium
dude if its anything to you, i have had an epi lp special ll for 2 years now, its my main guitar, i love it, i honestly think that they would be an option if you could get them B stock
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Man you're doing a great thing. I think that the Squier pack will do quite well. Also look at Ibanez or Cort packs, they're quite well too.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
dont get them an electric guitar.
the electric bill would go up.

... are you trying to be a dick or are you missing the point?

they aren't THAT poor, I agree that any money they could same they should (so I personally think an acoustic starter pack might be better) but I also think that the TS is doing something great, it's not often you find teachers like that.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
... are you trying to be a dick or are you missing the point?

they aren't THAT poor, I agree that any money they could same they should (so I personally think an acoustic starter pack might be better) but I also think that the TS is doing something great, it's not often you find teachers like that.

I'm not trying to be a dick.

But if they are truly going to play a lot, it would take up power.
Every little bit helps.

But if they got electric, they can practice their electrics not plugged in.
I practice not plugged it becuase its quiet and I don't bother anyone at night.
try going to pawn shops. play the guitar and see which ones play decent for the price. i once found a MIM Strat for $100
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
I'm not trying to be a dick.

But if they are truly going to play a lot, it would take up power.
Every little bit helps.

But if they got electric, they can practice their electrics not plugged in.
I practice not plugged it becuase its quiet and I don't bother anyone at night.

k, sorry then.

and I also play not plugged in, but here's it's cuz my mom had a seizure and now is super-sensitive to sound (even the slightest hint of noise gives her a major headache)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
ya I would go with the Squier starter pack, it comes with everything you need. Plus this is a really great gesture you're doing, kudos
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Quote by Slicer666
k, sorry then.

and I also play not plugged in, but here's it's cuz my mom had a seizure and now is super-sensitive to sound (even the slightest hint of noise gives her a major headache)

that sucks.
I'm sorry to hear that.