Im trying to recreate my own version of these two players' tone.

Using a matamp. I want to get an overdrive pedal that will effectively recreate that plexi tone (sort of like a plexi preamp in a box) to put infront of the matamp on my pedal board (no rack stuff).

I have narrowed it down to two things but no doubt you guys wil have some other ideas?

the Carlmartin Plexi Tone and the EHX English muffin. Im not using soely these pedals to create thier tones just using them as a starting point for getting a plexi-ish tone. Budget is 150£ pounds (thats worth like three dollars these days eh?)
i cant really help you on tone too much. for EJ you will NEED a B. K. Butler tube driver is you honestly want to get close, and those things get expensive.

Btw...correct me if I'm wrong, but don't EVH and EJ have very different tones?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If I remember correctly, aren't Matamps voiced like Oranges a bit? If that's the case, I don't think any pedal will give you the punch & articulation to nail early VH tone. Before you buy either of those pedals, I would try a Fulltone OCD first, because it gives a sharp boost with amazing clarity in my rig. (I re-amp a cranked non-master volume EL34-loaded 50W head into a power amp to get the old VH tone, & the OCD is key in shaping the input signal). I've not tried the Carl Martin unit, but I hear they are supposedly very good.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by The_0thersid3
Ed and Erics tones are very different. Im looking for something in between. Big, fat, hot and ballsy. The matamp can do that sound very very well, i just need a pedal to change my tone from clean to distorted. b

o ok, i see now.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by The_0thersid3
Im trying to recreate my own version of these two players' tone.

Using a matamp. I want to get an overdrive pedal that will effectively recreate that plexi tone (sort of like a plexi preamp in a box) to put infront of the matamp on my pedal board (no rack stuff).

I have narrowed it down to two things but no doubt you guys wil have some other ideas?

the Carlmartin Plexi Tone and the EHX English muffin. Im not using soely these pedals to create thier tones just using them as a starting point for getting a plexi-ish tone. Budget is 150£ pounds (thats worth like three dollars these days eh?)

Best of luck with that. No doubt that only you'll know what you're really after, and when and if you get there. I wish I knew of an inexpensive way to get there, but I have yet to find one amp that does it all.
Eric uses a fuzz for his sound right? or a distortion of some sort along with a few delays for that hall-like sound.

I think thats right.

get a light gain fuzz ( HAHA) maybe? Like the Big Muff but dial the sustain back?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Tonebone Hot British or Classic Distortion are great for getting a Plexi tone. Eric Johnson actually uses a Classic with his Plexi.

eric also used a chandler or a B.k Butler tube driver, whicha re quite expensive brand new, but there were so many knockoffs (Tube works Real Tube is a great one) and other unpopular models (i saw a rack mount tube driver for 90$ at my guitar store), that you could find one easily for 120$-150$, or even less.

here are some pictures of his pedal board for reference.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
Tonebone Hot British or Classic Distortion are great for getting a Plexi tone. Eric Johnson actually uses a Classic with his Plexi.

eric also used a chandler or a B.k Butler tube driver, whicha re quite expensive brand new, but there were so many knockoffs (Tube works Real Tube is a great one) and other unpopular models (i saw a rack mount tube driver for 90$ at my guitar store), that you could find one easily for 120$-150$, or even less.

here are some pictures of his pedal board for reference.

for how much of a stickler about tone he is, he isnt exactly organized lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
for how much of a stickler about tone he is, he isnt exactly organized lol

His pedalboard is perfectly balanced for total tonal feng-shui.
I was gonna post that pic, no need now haha.

but yeah, you're gonna wan a plexi
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I was gonna post that pic, no need now haha.

but yeah, you're gonna wan a plexi

Quote by Bostonrocks

I would definatly appreciate it if pictures were asked for before you post them. I'm saying we could do without the pictures thats all

here is an idea why not just give LINKS to the pictures not actually post the pictures then if people don't want to see they don't have to and it makes loading eaiser.

Uh huh. Can you say hypocrite?

Quote by Bostonrocks
excuse me, zachman, we DON'T need pictures EVERYTIME you post something, please refrain from doing that, for alot of people it makes it harder to load the page and it's just plain annoying.

Hypocrites are most annoying