Hi folks. I'm currently in the hunt to get a 2nd guitar to compliment my Stratocaster. I currently have a mexican Strat HSS that has a nice humbucker in the bridge, I can get some nice distorted tones out of it and also clean tones too.

I would like a 2nd guitar though to get some extra versatility and it's also because I have 2 amps at home, I'd like to have a nice 2nd guitar that I can use when I want to play in my bedroom instead of my basement.

The type of music I listen to: Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Tom Petty, Judas Priest, Joe Satriani, AC/DC, Queen, and a lot of 80s hard rock (Ozzy, Motley Crue, Maiden), and also Metallica.

Now I'm pretty picky about how a guitar looks. Anyway this is what I've come up with so far. My budget is roughly $600CAD to $1000CAD or so, I'd like to stay under a thousand. While I do have more money than that, I don't want to blow more than a grand right now on a guitar.

Jackson Dinky DK2M - alder body, maple fretboard, bolt-on, 24 frets, SD Jazz/JB pickups, LFR tremolo

Godin Freeway Classic Leaftop - maple body, maple fretboard, Godin pickups HSH setup, strat type tremolo

Ibanez RG1550M - basswood body, maple fretboard, Ibanez HSH pickups, Edge Pro tremolo

Ibanez S470 - mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, Ibanez HSH pickups, ZR tremolo

Epiphone Les Paul Custom - mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, Alcino classic pickups, TOM bridge

That's all I could come up with so far. I don't mind going used, my current guitar and amp I bought used. I've looked for used deals in my town for about 2-3 months now and I haven't yet found something that I really liked. I'm also planning on saving up for a Gibson Explorer or Hamer USA Explorer at some point, but Gibson doesn't even make the Explorer in the colour I want anymore (what I was gonna originally buy), and the Hamer USA Explorer is expensive as hell.

I will be going out today to the music shop to test out a guitar or two. Let me know what your guys recommendation here is. I just want to hear opinions on what would compliment my Strat nicely as a 2nd guitar and suit of those classic rock tones.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm not a fan of the binding and finishes on LTD and Schecter guitars and also Dean guitars, but I am willing to try an LTD and Schecter guitar before making judgement. Dean guitars however I don't really like at all.

EDIT 2: Also forgot to mention, a tremolo is not required.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Feb 11, 2009,
Look at schecter and ESP LTD. Do u want me to name some models?
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
The ibby RG that you mentioned seems like a win, except for the pickups...

(^ the end of the world)
I recommend the RG. I have an RG and a strat and it's a good combination. A lot of tones are possible.
It seems like the HSS Strat would cover Juda Priest and Iron Maiden pretty well, along with the 80's stuff.

But for the Beatles, Tom Petty, AC/DC, I'd suggest a 335-style archtop, dual humbuckers preferably.
Call me: Will

Gear that I'm using most, in their respective colors:
Squier MIJ '62 Strat reissue
Orville '62 SG reissue
1972 Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp with various kinds of pedals.

My band, Cusche!
I went to the music store just now, I tried out the following:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Jackson Dinky DK2M
Godin Signature LGX (Les Paul lookalike) with Duncan pickups and Ebony freboard

I didn't like the inlays on the Godin, they're to the side, not in the middle and that confused me.

I liked the jumbo frets on the Jackson, but other than that it was too similar sounding to my Strat.

The Epi Les Paul was pretty nice I'll admit. Great neck feel, and it felt easy to play and I liked all 3 positions (neck,bridge,middle combination thing).

Now I've found a used Tokai LP copy in my town for sale, I'm gonna go try this thing out and also found a used Gibson Les Paul Studio. I'm gonna take a friend of mine and I'm gonna go try out these guitars.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Good on ya!

And nice Traynor, I got a YCV for Christmas.
Call me: Will

Gear that I'm using most, in their respective colors:
Squier MIJ '62 Strat reissue
Orville '62 SG reissue
1972 Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp with various kinds of pedals.

My band, Cusche!
I'd go for the Ibanez. Or if you want an LP-style guitar look into an Agile. They play as good (better imo) than Epiphones that cost more.
Hey guys. A bit of an update. I've decided I definitely want a Les Paul of sorts. Now I've also figured out I can't afford over $700 or so. So here's a shortlist:

- used japanese LP copy, i.e. Tokai, Edwards, etc.
- used Epi LP
- used LTD Les Paul 400 series, the one with 59/JB pickups

I need to have enough money saved over by around May time, like $2000, that's when I'll be going to States and if I find the Explorer that I want when I go there, I should have enough money for it.

So if all goes well, I should try out this Tokai today and tommorow a used LTD 400 just like I described and I'll buy one of these two hopefully.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Consider agile. Better than any epi and the Al-3000 is AMAZING. Theres a youtube video comparing the Al-3000 to a Gibson Studio and it sounds almost the same. Cant provide a link but just look up agile al-3000 review or comparison
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by MustangSVT

So if all goes well, I should try out this Tokai today.

Good luck with that, it's a great guitar. Post pics if you can.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by John5rules125
Consider agile. Better than any epi and the Al-3000 is AMAZING. Theres a youtube video comparing the Al-3000 to a Gibson Studio and it sounds almost the same. Cant provide a link but just look up agile al-3000 review or comparison

The problem here is I am not able to try an Agile in person and I'm simply not willing to buy a guitar without trying it.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

imo go for the s470...
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
may also want to take a gander at 1 of these.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--DNESOLT
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Get a Tokai Love Rock, they are awesome.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by scott58
may also want to take a gander at 1 of these.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--DNESOLT

Hi scott58. Unfortunately for Dean, I really don't like their guitars at all. On the Soltero, I don't like the headstock shape and I don't like how it has that contour at the top of the body. It's just an aesthetic part that I couldn't live with.

Thank for the suggestion though.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

LP.

the LP should be able to do 99% of the things the strat can't, and vice versa.

You also may wanna look into an SG...they're pretty similar to LP's.

Also, don't just think that if you wanna buy a LP shaped guitar you gotta stick with gibby/epi

Agile, Sparrow, Tokai, Ibanez (pre-lawsuit), PRS all make good LP style guitars.

I've played a LP copy from all of these companies + ones from gibby/epi and by far my favourite was the Sparrow.

They're made in Canada, so I dunno if it'll be hard for you to get them (depends where you live I guess)

The sparrow's pickups sounds great, and it plays better than any les paul style guitar I've played.

Quote by .:st.anger:.
bout time to upgrade to an ESP...once you go ESP you say fu to all of dees

You have LTD's, not ESP.

You think when I tell people about my jagmaster I say I own a Fender Squier Jagmaster
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Feb 12, 2009,
bout time to upgrade to an ESP...once you go ESP you say fu to all of dees
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
Ok guys I was just as music store now. I tried these:

LTD EC-400
PRS SE Singlecut

The LTD felt pretty nice. Better quality than the Epi LP I played, but the fretboard feel on the Epi was just slightly better, but I think that's because the Epi had 10-46 strings which are my preffered gauge, whereas the LTD was 9-42.

I won't be able to try the Tokai until next week, but I might have bought a guitar by then. I'm gonna go try a Hagstrom Swede tonight and a used LTD EC-400. With some luck, I'll find something I really like and go and buy it tommorow. I'm thinking of buying either this used LTD EC-400 (will see how it feels), if not, a brand new LTD EC-400 would be pretty nice.

At the end of the day, I might not be the best to judge which one of these to buy since I've been playing for a under a year now, but at least I'm trying a bunch of guitars and not just deciding "this one cause it looks cool".

Oh yea while I was at the music there was this like 14yo kid shredding, he seemed pretty good but he had terrible taste in guitars. He was trying this Dean Razorback and he complained it didn't have good EMG's on it, he wanted the better one with EMG's on it, or something, I dunno, I just thought it was funny, even though he was a much better guitarist than me.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Feb 12, 2009,
Another update. I went to a guy yesterday and tried out a LTD EC-400AT. It was a very nice guitar. It played better than the brand new LTD EC-400VF that I tried in-store which is very surprising. It had a thick tone, was pretty heavy and large body too. It was also in pristine condition. It's very possible I might buy this guitar.

I tried some other guitar after trying out the LTD as well. I stopped by this one place that carried Hagstrom and Hamer guitars. I tried out a Hagstrom Swede goldtop and a Hagstrom Super Swede while I was there and also a Hamer XT Standard (made in china explorer-type). I like the regular Swede more than the Super Swede. Neither Hagstrom played as good as the LTD though, so I've chosen not to go with them. The Hamer explorer was pretty nice, in terms of the body feel and there was just something about it, but it didn't play that good at all really and the pickups didn't sound great. I asked how much ordering a Hamer USA Explorer would be and they said about $3000.

Today I plan on going by a store by where I work cause they have a sale, just to see if they have anything worthwhile. And later in the day, I'll go by this other place, to try out another new LTD, and to see how it feels.

I'm gonna call the guy that's selling the Tokai LP here and find out what model it is. I'm either gonna wait until I try the Tokai on monday or not at all, so far it looks like I will be buying this used LTD EC-400AT. Definitely a nice guitar.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by Swap-Meet
Try like 5-10 epi's

their QC is a little better than gibsons, but not by much.

and seriously, try and look for a Sparrow Rat Rod.

The problem here is the following:

- brand new Epiphone is about $800 to $850, $950 for the Custom, remember this is in Canada, not USA
- the used LTD I tried not only has better sounding pickups than the Epiphone, but it's also $550 (and it feels better than the three Epiphones I've played so far)

I've found the only sparrow dealer here is near my house. I do live in canada by the way. I'll see if I can drop by there today or maybe on monday.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Last edited by MustangSVT at Feb 13, 2009,
I'm from calgary.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Sparrows should be cheaper for you then.

Less tax, + they're closer, so shipping isn't as much.

I found a sparrow Rat Rod Ace for 699$ w/ a custom paint job, that i am gonna buy hopefully this weekend or next. (already put a down payment on it)

Usually those go for 1199$ on Sparrow's site, so I'm pretty positive mine was knocked down a bit.

but maybe you can find something nice like Rat Rod Boss.
I am in the exact situation as the OP. I think I will settle with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom or Ultra.
I went to store today to try out some LTDs and Schecters, and they had just sold a LTD EC-400 and the guy there said he was sorry but there was no more. Well there was 3 more, but one was a EC-1000 with EMGs and the other two were with camouflage finish which I hated. I told him about the used EC400 I had played and he said I should buy it and that they're great guitars.

I then went to another store and played these:

Sparrow LP copy
Sparrow Telecaster copy with HS setup (humbucker in neck)
Hamer LP copy with P-90s

The Sparrow LP Copy (Rat Rod) had some or neck bowing or something. It definitely needed some truss rod adjustment. The action on it was so high it wasn't even funny. Not playable at all.

The Sparrow Tele was actually pretty nice guitar, I definitely thought it was nice, but I wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't mind trying that Tele through my amp though.

The Hamer LP copy was alright, but nothing too special. I didn't think it was better than the LTD EC-400 I tried, so ehh.

I might not be experienced enough to truly tell a great guitar when I play/hear one, but at least I'm trying out as many guitars as I can before making a decision.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

I tried out some more Epi LP's over the weekend, including Epi LP Custom and Ultra-II and they didn't feel as good as the LTD. I didn't try a Gibson Les Paul Studio because I didn't have the money for it to be honest.

Anyway, in the end I decided to go with the LTD guitar. I went and paid for it today, it is now mine. I will be posting some pictures sometime.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Go the Jackson DK2M (IMO). Honestly tho, you wont want to pickup your strat again if you do tho lol
The S470, DK2M and LP Custom are all fine guitars. If you want a thinner neck and better fret access go for the DK2M or S470, if you want a mahogany guitar with great heavy tone go for the LP. I have owned an LP for 3 years now and just recently bought a Strat to compliment it and I'm loving it so far.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!