Page 4 of 184
Quote by Metallica708
What did you guys think of that Kerrang ReMastered thing a few years back? I'm listening to it now, and I quite like it. The one that surprised me the most was the Fightstar cover of Leper Messiah. It seems to really suit his voice for some reason (though I don't normally like Fightstar at all xD)

That CD is terrible. The only decent covers were Battery (Machine Head), MOP (Trivium), and Orion (Mastodon). Did you ever hear Funeral For A Friend's Damage Inc.? They raped it and left it in a ditch to die.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER!
That CD is terrible. The only decent covers were Battery (Machine Head), MOP (Trivium), and Orion (Mastodon). Did you ever hear Funeral For A Friend's Damage Inc.? They raped it and left it in a ditch to die.

+1... I thought Orion was the best simply because no one could fuck up the vocals. Although MOP wasn't too bad.

Feed my eyes, can you sew them shut?
Jesus christ, deny your maker
He who tries, will be wasted
Feed my eyes now youve sewn them shut
Trivium's cover seems to be popular. I know I'm a Trivium fan, but there are a lot of people on the internet I've seen say "I hate Trivium but they did a good job on that cover". Actually, the funny thing is, the main thing I like about it is the production and the guitar tone! Haha.
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
Do you know how Metallica on the 20th anniversary of the Master of Puppets album they played Orion fully at the Rock Am Ring in 2006. Why didn't they play To Live Is To Die fully for the 20th anniversary of And Justice For All...
That would of been awesome.
Quote by redsoxfan16
Do you know how Metallica on the 20th anniversary of the Master of Puppets album they played Orion fully at the Rock Am Ring in 2006. Why didn't they play To Live Is To Die fully for the 20th anniversary of And Justice For All...
That would of been awesome.

I don't think it's physically possible to do that song justice live in a 4 piece band.
^ yer true... but i would still love to see it live

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
"To Live Is To Die" will never be played live without Cliff Burton, because it is a song made in remembrance of him. It even has his riffs.
But many Metallica songs have his riffs in, and I suppose they play Orion live.

I would love to see it live.
Quote by Aussie_skater

Quote by Seth Shadows

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
^ They did release that show on their download site
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by PLOP
But many Metallica songs have his riffs in, and I suppose they play Orion live.

I would love to see it live.

I think I'd cry if I heard Orion or To Live is to Die live... It'd just be amazing.
Orion got me close to tears...
Quote by Aussie_skater

Quote by Seth Shadows

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
Last edited by PLOP at Feb 17, 2009,
How much longer before we can all complain that they're taking too damn long to make their follow up?
Quote by guitgrinder
How much longer before we can all complain that they're taking too damn long to make their follow up?
Never. They should have retired ten years ago.
Quote by Amarant
"To Live Is To Die" will never be played live without Cliff Burton, because it is a song made in remembrance of him. It even has his riffs.

I also doubt they'll ever do it live. I think it was something they did for Cliff-and nobody else (hey can't blame them-and it is a great song).

As for Cliff riffs though-Cliff's all over Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets-he wrote a lot on those albums and riffs and such. James and Lars have said that those albums really took off in that direction following Kill'em All because of Cliff.
I know that that Cliff inspired Creeping Death and really got them into reading books and stuff.

Quote by guitgrinder

I started complaining once Lars said it was going to be another 4 or 5 years until the next one, and then said he felt that it was a good time frame!

I wish bands still released albums every 1 or 2 years...
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
does anyone know a good tone for metallica rthym on a Peavey Vypyr 75?

sepicifically for Orion
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
I started complaining once Lars said it was going to be another 4 or 5 years until the next one, and then said he felt that it was a good time frame!

I wish bands still released albums every 1 or 2 years...

If they would make an album every two years or so, they'd probably also make more of a progress... I just don't want to wait five years for a slightly improved Death Magnetic.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
I saw an ad in GameInformer magazine for Guitar Hero Metallica offering a free extra bass pedal if you pre-order the game; but it also said in fine print, "cuz if you really want to play fast and heavy like Lars and get the true Metallica experience you gotta use both feet." This made me laugh because Lars is such a lazy sloth now who barely ever uses the 2nd bass pedal, and the game focuses on Metallica as how they are today.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
Quote by WARLOCK123
does anyone know a good tone for metallica rthym on a Peavey Vypyr 75?

sepicifically for Orion

Boost treble and bass, cut mids by half. Full gain.

I was wondering today, if your could replace any metallica member with another musician, who would it be?

I'd replace Kirk with Mark Tremonti.
Quote by Hammerzeit

I was wondering today, if your could replace any metallica member with another musician, who would it be?

thanks

I would leave Kirk and Hetfield. maybe get rid of Lars. then somehow ressurect Cliff

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by Hammerzeit

Hmmmmm.. I don't think i would replace anyone. I mean as much as everyone hates Lars I think he plays a key role. I mean in the studio he is the one doing most of the arrangement of songs and what not.

I guess Ill post this here:

Trying to make a best solo compilation Whats everyones favorite 10 in order if you can.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Last edited by synystagates at Feb 21, 2009,
replace trujillo with the guy that plays the bass lines inbetween seinfeld scenes
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER!

Fuck me that was crap. The Iron Maiden one was worse though.

Battery was good, as was Orion. They didn't change Orion at all though.
Quote by synystagates

Trying to make a best solo compilation? Whats everyones favorite 10 in order if you can.

Just my favourite ones:
10 Whiplash
9 Battery
8 Fade to Black
7 The Unforgiven
6 Dyers Eve
5 Creeping Death
4 Blackened
3 The Unforgiven 3
2 One (Kirks, not the harmony)
1 Ride The Lightning

Quote by Butt Rayge

**** me that was crap. The Iron Maiden one was worse though.

Battery was good, as was Orion. They didn't change Orion at all though.

Yeah that was a bad CD. I thought a couple of them were good. Triviums cover of 'Puppets was good and so was their Iron Maiden one. Luckily Orion was ok, because no one should **** with it. I thought Fightstars Leper Messiah was good too, and so was their cover of fear of the dark for the maiden one.
Fightstar always do decent covers. they don't rape the song like FFAF. Trivium do good ones as well. Black Tide also did a pretty decent cover of Prowler on the Maiden CD. But those CDs are always remembered for the bad covers. FFAF are bad and then you get bands like Madina Lake doing covers on them. it doesn't work.

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by synystagates

Trying to make a best solo compilation? Whats everyones favorite 10 in order if you can.

The intro solos of the 80s 'ballads' are great. I also like most other solos they did back then, minus the ones from KEA. Everything after Justice sucks, imo. Maybe except the solo of The Unforgiven.

...would you love me?
Solo top 10, no particular order:

The Unforgiven
Fade to Black
Ride the Lightning
The Outlaw Torn (final/outro solo)
Battery
Master of Puppets
One
Creeping Death
Damage Inc.
Eye of the Beholder

I'm also partial to the solo work in 2X4, but I don't think its worthy of a place in the top 10.
Top 10 favourite solos:
Creeping Death
Jump In The Fire
The Thing That Should Not Be
Nothing Else Matters
Blackened
Ride the Lightning
Hit The Lights
...And Justice For All
The Unforgiven
The Unforgiven III

No particular order.
Does anyone think it would be funny if Metallica came in about 4 years time and released a death metal record? They'd be like 'Well, you guys asked for something "hardcore" here it is.'
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by Shredoftheday
Does anyone think it would be funny if Metallica came in about 4 years time and released a death metal record? They'd be like 'Well, you guys asked for something "hardcore" here it is.'

It would be funny but Lars is too lazy to play the stuff they already have, they'd never get him to do blast beats. And hardcore?
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
Last edited by wtbskill91 at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by Shredoftheday

James doing Death Metal vocals...
Hmm...

"YEAHHHHH!
OH! WOAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Not.
Brutal.
Quote by wtbskill91
It would be funny but Lars is too lazy to play the stuff they already have, they'd never get him to do blast beats. And hardcore?

I intentionally said hardcore for the lulz.
No one ever asked for anything 'hardcore' we just want something that doesn't 'suck as much lars dick'
Oh and I did say 'it would be funny'. Epic lulz if it happened.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by Hammerzeit

Dude, y'know what would be awesome? (To me anyway...)

Get Lars outta there (yeah, he arranges a lot of stuff for Metallica, so what? The arrangements on DM pretty much suck dick.)

Get someone real solid in there, like Jimmy Bower from Down, or just someone with a real hard hitting hard rock beat... someone like John Bonham-on-steroids kind of deal.

Then, punch Kirk in the stomach and take away his wah pedal and tell him to play guitar like a man.

Then have Pepper Keenan from Down come in as 2nd rhythm gits and vox. That would kick ass
Judging from your post, you'd rather replace all of them with members of Down, right?

...would you love me?