Page 5 of 184
Quote by guitgrinder
Dude, y'know what would be awesome? (To me anyway...)

Get Lars outta there (yeah, he arranges a lot of stuff for Metallica, so what? The arrangements on DM pretty much suck dick.)

Get someone real solid in there, like Jimmy Bower from Down, or just someone with a real hard hitting hard rock beat... someone like John Bonham-on-steroids kind of deal.

Then, punch Kirk in the stomach and take away his wah pedal and tell him to play guitar like a man.

Then have Pepper Keenan from Down come in as 2nd rhythm gits and vox. That would kick ass

Go listen to Down?
Quote by metalistight
Go listen to Down?

+1

as I said before I would have got rid of Lars. he used to be good but he seems a bit past it now. his new beats are lacking. like kerry king said. DM has some good riffs and stuff but songs are too long and there are too many bad riffs etc

and remember Lars was in charge of composition. i would also get rid of the new bassist. the one who looks like a monkey/gorrilla thing. he is good but he is no Cliff.
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Quote by WARLOCK123
+1

as I said before I would have got rid of Lars. he used to be good but he seems a bit past it now. his new beats are lacking. like kerry king said. DM has some good riffs and stuff but songs are too long and there are too many bad riffs etc

and remember Lars was in charge of composition. i would also get rid of the new bassist. the one who looks like a monkey/gorrilla thing. he is good but he is no Cliff.

Jesus Christ dude cliff wasn't even the best one. Trujillo combines everything good about Cliff and Jason into one. Rob is best by far.
Quote by Guitarlord44
Jesus Christ dude cliff wasn't even the best one. Trujillo combines everything good about Cliff and Jason into one. Rob is best by far.

don't you think its odd that since Cliff died Metallica went downhill? the black album was pretty good as was justice but they wern't as good as master of puppets and the other albums with Cliff

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by WARLOCK123
don't you think its odd that since Cliff died Metallica went downhill? the black album was pretty good as was justice but they wern't as good as master of puppets and the other albums with Cliff

I think every Metallica album was great. Big deal it wasn't thrash but they explored new territory and they did it pretty damn well. St.Anger was great and gets a bad rep because it wasn't thrash. Honestly im not a big fan of MoP i like the Black ablum personally. Thats some of the heaviest **** ever written. Yes Cliff was a great song writer but Rob combines the skill of Cliff and Jason into one. Whats better than that?
Just no. The problem with everything from 1990 onwards isn't because it's not thrash, it's because they changed their style to almost deliberately find a mainstream audience and more money. I've nothing wrong with the sort of music played in Load/ReLoad, I like country and blues influenced rock, by Tallica did it pretty badly. St Anger was crap, because it was an awfully written, sloppily played, badly produced, incoherent piece of musical excrement.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Just no. The problem with everything from 1990 onwards isn't because it's not thrash, it's because they changed their style to almost deliberately find a mainstream audience and more money. I've nothing wrong with the sort of music played in Load/ReLoad, I like country and blues influenced rock, by Tallica did it pretty badly. St Anger was crap, because it was an awfully written, sloppily played, badly produced, incoherent piece of musical excrement.

No it wasn't thats just everybodys excuse to why they hate St.Anger. its because it wasn't thrash. Who cares that Metallica wanted to find a mainstream audience? They wanted to make money. They made kick ass music while doing it. Megadeth went mainstream when they released that piece of **** called Risk(im a megadeth fan too im not trashing them). People who like thrash are way to critical if a band even starys a little bit from the genre. Lighten the **** up and give it a chance.
Testament strayed away from the genre, their 90s albums were great. Don't try and lump my dislike of an album you like as a sign of closed mindedness, it's pretty weak of you, and just a sign you can't accept differing opinions.

Why do you like St Anger, then? I can't find many reasons to do so, maybe it was the first Metallica stuff you heard and it stuck with you, but what reasons do you give for liking it? I told you why I don't, and you instantly decide that it was because I can't accept change.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Yeah, you shouldn't like something just because it has "Metallica" written on the cover
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by freddaahh
Testament strayed away from the genre, their 90s albums were great. Don't try and lump my dislike of an album you like as a sign of closed mindedness, it's pretty weak of you, and just a sign you can't accept differing opinions.

Why do you like St Anger, then? I can't find many reasons to do so, maybe it was the first Metallica stuff you heard and it stuck with you, but what reasons do you give for liking it? I told you why I don't, and you instantly decide that it was because I can't accept change.

Yes, Testaments 90's albums were great. I accept your opinion totally. If you dont like anything after the black album thats fine but i meet all these people who say St.Anger sucked because it wasnt thrash and didnt have solos.

Hell no i grew up on Ride the Lightning. I like St.Anger because the tried something new and did it well. The music was great but production sucked. Same can be said for Death Magnetic. I'm not saying you cant accept change. None of what i said was aimed at you. It was aimed at all those people who whine that Metallica arent thrash anymore. You do put up a great argument though.
Last edited by Guitarlord44 at Feb 22, 2009,
I actually liked a few songs off of load/reload, but st. anger was so boring and simple, and the trash can drumming got really annoying, even though the album had some pretty good beats every now and then.

I agree with Testament's 90's stuff being great, although different, but it still doesn't beat their early stuff IMO, especially practice what you preach.
I liked st anger. I had all albums previous to black and I grew listening to songs like Disposable Heroes and I didn't even listen to Load and Reload before St anger. It still sounded good to me. It's just a matter of taste, it's kind of a twisted unpolished metal.
Everybody has the right to an opinion , but stuff like "St Anger was crap, because it was an awfully written, sloppily played, badly produced, incoherent piece of musical excrement" is a direct insult to me and all the other people who found it to be enjoyable.
The right of having an opinion isn't the same thing as "you can say whatever you want, how you want and nobody should have anything against you".
You take not liking St. Anger for those reasons as an insult to yourself???

You must be incredibly hurt...
Quote by ninelgolescu
I liked st anger. I had all albums previous to black and I grew listening to songs like Disposable Heroes and I didn't even listen to Load and Reload before St anger. It still sounded good to me. It's just a matter of taste, it's kind of a twisted unpolished metal.
Everybody has the right to an opinion , but stuff like "St Anger was crap, because it was an awfully written, sloppily played, badly produced, incoherent piece of musical excrement" is a direct insult to me and all the other people who found it to be enjoyable.
The right of having an opinion isn't the same thing as "you can say whatever you want, how you want and nobody should have anything against you".

Woohoo! I insulted you.

Why would you take something like an album to heart? How is an opinion of an album a direct bash at you?

The right to having an opinion is almost being able to express what opinion I want and nobody should have anything against me for it. I'm hardly saying "I hate black people", I'm saying I hated St Anger, with reasons - quoted above.

Also, no solos = fail. Hardly up to my usual standard of intellectual brilliance, but that point stands true and firm.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Back to what I said about the guys from Down being in Metallica...

I don't specifically want Bower as their drummer, just someone with more solid, heavy beats. I said Pepper from Down because he's already played w/ Metallica on Tuesday's Gone, he has a complementary voice to James, he's a great guitarist, and he and James are good friends. Seriously, go listen to Corrosion of Conformity's Deliverance, Wiseblood, America's Volume Dealer and In The Arms of God and you'll see what I mean. Or, you could take another listen to Tuesday's Gone... that part where James says, "Pepper!" is where he starts singin'.

As far as St. Anger...

I think it's a pretty good album. I think that some of the lyrics were kind of weak, and the songs are usually one verse and chorus too long. I think Frantic was a good song, as well as SKOM. Title track was alright... I really liked Shoot Me Again and Sweet Amber a lot. I also find it ironic how everyone complains that there were no solos, but now there are solos and everyone bitches about how crappy the new solos are. Make up your mind's, people. Unlike most people, I love the drum sound and I think it's Lars best performance on any Metallica record besides the Black Album. Obviously, it's not their best, but I've heard a lot worse... I think the songwriting was pretty good, but again, most are one verse & chorus too long. I think if Metallica was able to expand upon the St. Anger style and cut out the weak parts of DM we'd have an extremely exceptional record.

There's my two cents.
Quote by WARLOCK123

This is where everyone gets things wrong. Like when they say "Metallica died with Cliff" That is such bull****. Look at AJFA. It was a masterpiece aside from production and I don't remember Cliff on that album (aside from TLTD). Metallica decided they wanted to make shorter songs for TBA. I bet regardless if Cliff died or not they would have still gone to shorter songs and a better production sound.

And all this bashing of DM. I mean these guys are in their 40's. I think its pretty good for them. Lets face it they are never going to make an amazing metal album again. But they are trying their best at what they do. But that's just my opinion.

Feed my eyes, can you sew them shut?
Jesus christ, deny your maker
He who tries, will be wasted
Feed my eyes now youve sewn them shut
Quote by freddaahh

+9837

I tried to listen to St. Anger the other day, but I just couldn't. Listening to Lars playing the cymbals as if he had seen them for the first time in his life is a pain.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by Leper Messiah
This is where everyone gets things wrong. Like when they say "Metallica died with Cliff" That is such bull****. Look at AJFA. It was a masterpiece aside from production and I don't remember Cliff on that album (aside from TLTD). Metallica decided they wanted to make shorter songs for TBA. I bet regardless if Cliff died or not they would have still gone to shorter songs and a better production sound.

And all this bashing of DM. I mean these guys are in their 40's. I think its pretty good for them. Lets face it they are never going to make an amazing metal album again. But they are trying their best at what they do. But that's just my opinion.

i'm not sayin they got worse because of shorter songs or production sound. composition isn't as good on the albums without Cliff. i'm not saying it was bad but not as good with songs being too long sometimes by a verse of chorus. Metallica havn't got a bad album imo. just a couple that were not so good. i don't like James's new voice it is okay but not as good as it was before.

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by freddaahh
Woohoo! I insulted you.

Why would you take something like an album to heart? How is an opinion of an album a direct bash at you?

The right to having an opinion is almost being able to express what opinion I want and nobody should have anything against me for it. I'm hardly saying "I hate black people", I'm saying I hated St Anger, with reasons - quoted above.

Also, no solos = fail. Hardly up to my usual standard of intellectual brilliance, but that point stands true and firm.

Indeed, I would have liked some solos and the sound of the drums is awful, but when expressing an opinion, what do excrements have to do with it, like your conclusion about the album?

I don't take the album to heart but is very difficult to say I like a song on a forum from st anger without 2-3 guys coming and saying they despise and hate the album soooo much.... like it got them fired or it had sex with their girlfriends.

And please explain what is sloppily played?
they messed up the tempo of the riffs on the recorded tracks or failed to do the palm mute right? cause that's what sloppily played usually means
Quote by ninelgolescu
Indeed, I would have liked some solos and the sound of the drums is awful, but when expressing an opinion, what do excrements have to do with it, like your conclusion about the album?

I don't take the album to heart but is very difficult to say I like a song on a forum from st anger without 2-3 guys coming and saying they despise and hate the album soooo much.... like it got them fired or it had sex with their girlfriends.

And please explain what is sloppily played?
they messed up the tempo of the riffs on the recorded tracks or failed to do the palm mute right? cause that's what sloppily played usually means

The album is excrement. The mixing is horrid, the songs are worse than horrid, the vocals are laughable, the lyrics are worse. Lars can barely keep time and it didn't help that his kit sounded HORRIBLE.

And yes, it was sloppy. Pretty much the entire thing was just pro-tooled together. Fail album.
St. Anger was actually one of Lars's better performances, the tone was just horrible. Anyway, I agree that Cliff pretty much was Metallica.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
The backbone of it atleast. It doesn't help that the members have lost all touch with metal.
He helped them evolve. All the musicality they developed came from him. And I think if he survived, they wouldn't have aimed for the mainstream.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by WARLOCK123
i'm not sayin they got worse because of shorter songs or production sound. composition isn't as good on the albums without Cliff. i'm not saying it was bad but not as good with songs being too long sometimes by a verse of chorus. Metallica havn't got a bad album imo. just a couple that were not so good. i don't like James's new voice it is okay but not as good as it was before.

And James voice never depended on Cliff dying. What I'm trying to day is that I think Metallica would have changed no matter what. I remember one of the band mates saying that Cliff was into country. So Mama Said wouldn't be to far fetched if Cliff was still in the band.

Quote by Leper Messiah
And James voice never depended on Cliff dying. What I'm trying to day is that I think Metallica would have changed no matter what. I remember one of the band mates saying that Cliff was into country. So Mama Said wouldn't be to far fetched if Cliff was still in the band.

That doesn't mean anything, Cliff knew what Metallica was about, he wasn't gonna **** with that. Fenriz likes hip-hop, does that mean Darkthrone are suddenly going to release a rap song? No.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
That doesn't mean anything, Cliff knew what Metallica was about, he wasn't gonna **** with that. Fenriz likes hip-hop, does that mean Darkthrone are suddenly going to release a rap song? No.

Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665

What im saying is that Cliff played a big role in the band and influenced the guys quite a bit. I didn't mean that they would have taken the same road they took when he died if he was still alive. But I think they would have changed no matter what. And all this stuff about selling out with the black album is retarded. They wanted to change their style because they were bored playing the same old stuff. Its been said numerous times in interviews and stuff like that.

Quote by Leper Messiah
What im saying is that Cliff played a big role in the band and influenced the guys quite a bit. I didn't mean that they would have taken the same road they took when he died if he was still alive. But I think they would have changed no matter what. And all this stuff about selling out with the black album is retarded. They wanted to change their style because they were bored playing the same old stuff. Its been said numerous times in interviews and stuff like that.

I don't care if they sold out or not, bottom of the line is I don't like their post-Justice music.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Leper Messiah

Too bad they got bored. Cause their old music is a billion times better then their new stuff. With exceptions of course.
EDIT. Their old music was a billion times better then most music.
Last edited by Bubbles516 at Feb 22, 2009,
The Black album was literally the first music i ever heard that wasnt classical music. I thought it was bitchin. It will always be special to me.
My first two were Fuel off of Reload and Ain't my Bitch off of Load

I now see how VERY inferior they are to the others, but still they were the first two.
But I'd have to say that I don't listen to anything past the black album. My favorite has to be a toss up between RTL and MOP. IMO nothing gets better than Fade to Black, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets. There's definitely some GREAT ones (One, Blackened, Sandman, Justice, Sanitarium, etc.) throughout the pre Load era, but I like those three the best.

And also,

This year is the 25th anniversary of Ride the Lightning.

They better play Trapped Under Ice live somewhere. And it better get filmed. They owe us all one by playing that song. I've seen parts of it live, but I want the whole thing.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Nothing gets better than Hit the Lights, Whiplash, and Phantom Lord. Pure Thrashing goodness right there.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Nothing gets better than Hit the Lights, Whiplash, and Phantom Lord. Pure Thrashing goodness right there.

i love the guitar work off the first album. but it seems poorly put together. I don't know, I just can't get into the lyrics on a bunch of em. but the guitar solos area great, especially kill em all.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
I just love all the Speed Metal influence, same reason Show No Mercy is my favorite Slayer album.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
kill em all is great 2nd best metallica album behind MOP i know its cliche but you gotta think about the conistency excuse my spelling of that record. In all honestly i've hd that cd since ive been about 10 and it might be my favorite cd. Battery, Damage Inc., Disposable Heroes are my fav.
Well it all comes down to taste. but its definitely some great music. so anynone agree with my trapped under ice demands?
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Quote by synystagates
Well it all comes down to taste. but its definitely some great music. so anynone agree with my trapped under ice demands?

eh, i could take it or leave it. Im tired of seeing metallica videos