So tomorrow or at least on Saturday I'm gonna buy three packs of strings for my electric guitar but I don't have any clue what strings to buy. First off I don't know if I should buy .009, .10, .11 or .12 inch strong strings and secondly I don't know which company makes good strings. Maybe Ernie Ball or Dunlop? I don't know
Ernie Ball super slinkys (.9's)

Greatest strings ever!
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Im a big fan of D'Addario's I've been through quite a few string brands and always come back to these.

As for sive what tuning are you gonna be in and how new to the guitar are you?
Earnie Ball, Skinnie Top Heavy bottom. Don't know what your playing, but they're great for my band (Thrash) and they last forever.
Magnum - Lead Guitar/Vocals ...Feeling Lucky?

Quote by pilgrimevan

...actually my favorite riff came out of getting a handjob.
If you take .010 D'Addarios, Ernie Ball, GHS, DR, Elixer, you'll be fine.

EDIT: If this is your first time buying strings I'd not buy 3 packs of the same brand/size at once. Buy 3 different packs or maybe one at a time, so you can judge if you like the strings. If you like them you can always buy more of them, and if you don't like them, you could just buy different en not have 2 packs you're never gonna use.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Feb 11, 2009,
The most time I play Blues and classic Rock. Using standard tuning ( E A D G B e ) and I play the electric guitar for 1 and a half year now. Used .009 inch strings until now but maybe I could use some stronger ones?
DR .10's are amazing.

I love em.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Should I buy 10's from different brands or should I buy a pack of 10's, 11's and 12's?

Edit: Do you have any tip how I can store used strings in a good way? Because when I buy different kind of strings I want to test them all but I also want to save the other ones.
Last edited by ehrbaer at Feb 11, 2009,
Go with different brands and just stick with 10's..

Theres a natural progression from 10's to 12's.. Skipping that progression will just leave you frustrated, hands hurting and you would need to setup the guitar for the gauge change. Not worth the hassle at the moment.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 11, 2009,
Thanks for your help guys. I think I get 10's from DR, Ernie Ball and D'Addario and see what strings fit my need.
Elixir!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Elixirs: They cost more than most strings, but they're worth every penny more. I always find that they settle faster and hold tuning better than most strings, they don't have masses of tension, so they're easy to bend, and they last forever.

I'd get 1 set of Elixirs, 1 of D'Addario, and a set of Rotosounds, all 0.10", see which you prefer.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Try Elixirs, ernie balls and GHS perhaps?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I think I get only two 10's this week and the rest after my birthday next month when I got enough money
I was wondering, you guys ever read the back or ernie balls where it list all the big name players that use them? Im curious to know how many of those names actually do play ernie balls exclusively (or most the time). They may endorse a certain product but does that restrict them to it?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
D'addario 10s are my personal favourite.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
Ernie Ball super slinkys (.9's)

Greatest strings ever!

+1
E.B have never done me wrong - never do most people wrong.

Apart from those acid-spewing aliens who seem to rust them - go ahead - buy your nickel D. strings!!!

Don't touch my guitar you green-eyed monsters! Hahaha
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
I was wondering, you guys ever read the back or ernie balls where it list all the big name players that use them? Im curious to know how many of those names actually do play ernie balls exclusively (or most the time). They may endorse a certain product but does that restrict them to it?

The free huge box of strings every month says they probably do. Most of those guys change there strings out ever show which can be costly so they grab and endorsement and use the freebies. Now in the studio thats a different story I have heard alot of guys say they used this or that on said guitar because it was to bright or dark in the studio and so on.
Really, strings are a matter of preference. For example I ALWAYS use 9's on my electric... I just like them more. I swear by DR Tite-fits, and in all of my experiences, D'Addario's suck balls. However, this is MY opinion and many(and by many I mean most) people disagree on all of these opinions. I've tried alot of brands, and the second best string are, of course, super-slinky's.

try different strings out over the next few months, decide what you like, and stick with it.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The free huge box of strings every month says they probably do. Most of those guys change there strings out ever show which can be costly so they grab and endorsement and use the freebies. Now in the studio thats a different story I have heard alot of guys say they used this or that on said guitar because it was to bright or dark in the studio and so on.

True, and I guess they wouldnt've picked a certain endorsement if they didnt lik ther strings eh.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
True, and I guess they wouldnt've picked a certain endorsement if they didnt lik ther strings eh.

And honestly theres not really a huge selection when you think about it. The common man like us, will even generally stick to 5 common brands. Those being Ernie Ball, D addario, Elixir, GHS and DR. Then break that down to the two that the majority go with which is Ernie Ball and D addario. Famous players have the same choices as us for strings theres not a huge market out there. So the percentage of famous players tend to flock to those because theres not many options out that add in the fact bigger companys throw freebies at them like crazy which is the top two companies that come to anyones mind when strings are mentioned.