OK, so i got the chance to play a nice gibson and a few epiphones recently and have been GAS'ing for one ever since.
Income taxes just came in, buying the son a 3/4 scale starter guitar, paying bills, etc.
Rest of the money goes to my GAS. (although it's not much)

Suggest me some good les pauls! Brand doesn't matter, but personal experience with compairing them to a high end guitar helps.
Looking at this guitar, and others in it's price range (about $350):
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Goth-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-517233-i1149242.gc

Edit: Consider a 10% off coupon for monday I'll be using
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Feb 11, 2009,
Dude, seriously look used, or at least not on Guitar Center/Musiciansfriend.

I'm really convinced that GC gets the slightly bummier Epiphones and Gibsons.

KawzEdit: It's fine to look around there and such, GC is a good reference point for prices and it's a veritable musicians playground, but buying from there is a different story.
Call me: Will

Gear that I'm using most, in their respective colors:
Squier MIJ '62 Strat reissue
Orville '62 SG reissue
1972 Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp with various kinds of pedals.

My band, Cusche!
Last edited by Kawzmo118 at Feb 11, 2009,
get this:

Oh wait...it's custom made for me :P
And it's not for sell :P
or...if you pay 3500€ I sell...I payed 2800€ :S

Btw...you won't get a decend LP for $350...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
get this:

Beautiful...

Anywho.. I'm just looking for one that Looks and feels good. Wood and finish are what I'm buying basicly, I'll set it up right and deal with the electronics on my own.

Edit: and i'm looking around used too. Even looked at some Agiles with some flamed maple on mahogany but these korean guitars that i can't test drive scare me.
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by _Sanitarium_
Beautiful...

Anywho.. I'm just looking for one that Looks and feels good. Wood and finish are what I'm buying basicly, I'll set it up right and deal with the electronics on my own.

FINALLY SOMEONE SMART! WOHOOO!
But the sad thing is...low-end guitars with good wood and finish do not exist
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
get this:

That's a little over his budget!
Used he might get lucky for $350.00 but I'd never buy without first trying anyway.
You'd probably be looking at >$600.00 for something decent and I'd still play it first before buying.
Moving on.....
BTW you're going to get some advice (from others) about alternate brands and some are apparently not too bad (good even if fact if you buy their higher end stuff). Tokai, Agile, LTD etc but their low end guitars (< 500) are more than likely no better than anyone elses.
Moving on.....
Quote by Trecion
I recently bought this one

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/GBP/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-HS-Heritage-Cherry-Sunburst/art-GIT0002826-003

I really love that guitar and it wasn't that expensive.

That's a sweet guitar, but about $150 out of my price range. I'm already getting shaking heads and rolling eyes for wanting to spend this much

... women, they just don't understand men and their guitars.
There're lots of LPs worth trying out.

I've heard good things about Agiles, mixed reviews on the lower end Epi's although in my experience with them they're ok. LTD LP type guitars are really good. Ibanez makes some LP shaped guitars that are really nice too. Dean Soltero's (sp?) are awesome.

I have Signature Series LP, I don't reccomend it. I had to do a bunch of work on it to get it to play properly.

I also have a Sparrow RatRod LP. It's unbelieveable, it plays as well or better than any Gibson LP I've ever played. Much less costly too.

http://www.sparrowguitars.com/ratrod

Here's some pics,

Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
look at the agile-2000 its hot, it pwns noobs, its cheap, thats 3 checkmarks for me
~Defiant~
Quote by Aurex
look at the agile-2000 its hot, it pwns noobs, its cheap, thats 3 checkmarks for me

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1756.html
How bout that one?
Again at that price the materials are probably a compromise! It costs money to use good, stable, dried woods to build a guitar that'll last. Cheaper guitars often substitute less select woods, or use multiple pieces to build the blanks and may be dried only minimally. These types of woods could, over time deform (warp) or crack. I looked at a friends cheap Ibanez once (<$ 250 new) and the neck had a lovely hump in it that no truss rod could ever affect. I set it best I could but not much could be done (basically fire wood). Yet a top of the line Ibanez is a serious investment!

The cheaper Agile you linked to has a maple neck on a mahogany body which is not the norm for this (should be 1/4 sawn mahogany neck set in mahogany body w/ maple top)
The maple neck is probably laminated which is OK and a common way to help overcome the challenge of using 1/4 sawn wood whcih is more costly and wasteful. For the body it simply says mahogany so one could assume multiple pieces joined for this (again a cost driven design)

If you compare it to say an Agile 2500 or 3000 you'll see the materials differences between their low and high ends.

It's your money of course but look at materials and construction more and less at general appearance /looks. With a decent finish and OK hardware it possible to make a real piece of c*** look better than it is and it won't show problems till some time has passed!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 11, 2009,
If you like the Al-2000 series, please take the step up and go for the 3000+ series. They are extremely nice deals for the price. If you get a 2000, you'll more than likely to want a 3000 a couple years down the road. It's better to shell out the extra $100 and get something really worth getting. If you don't like them, the shop owner Kurt is a very nice guy and he is very good with returns.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Alright. i just read some reviews on harmony central on several agile guitars ( not just the one i'm looking at) and it seems the flaws (if you call them that) that make these guitars as cheap as they are are:
Poly finish (not nitro... didn't think they used nitro anymore anyways)
the figured tops are slightly lower grade ( don't expect the absolute best depth to the look of the grains, fine by me)
the setup is terrible (thats fine, I set up my own guitars and for 3 of my friends, everyone's always satisfied with my work),
sometimes theres slight (very slight) blemishes in the finish ( cheap korean labor, expected)
cheaper pickups (wooo..)

all that aside, get them set up and they play as good as a gibson.
And for under $300 after shipping, and me already having my #1, I ~should~ be pleased with what I get.

I'll post back if/when I get this with an IN DEPTH review with ~large~ pictures of anything I find wrong.