I do not know if this is going in the correct section, but this was my best guess.

I always hear that in order to get better at guitar I should record what I play, but what does this mean? Record every single thing that I play? Only record it when I get things up to speed?

For those of you who record when you practice, what exactly are you recording, and do you listen to these recordings months or years later?
I usually record ideas or songs so I can listen back from a different perspective so I can hear what I should change. I guess other than that you would want to record yourself so you can hear how bad you really are lol. But I remember recording myself years ago and listening back but I still wasn't disconnected enough so I thought it was rad. I bet if I were to go back and listen now it'd be absolutely atrocious. No body has really told me to record when I practice, but I'm betting that's the reason.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Its best to record yourself a simple backing track like, A D E (a I, V, IV sequence i think) so its pretty common. then improvise over it, record a new improvisation every two weeks or so, you might not notice a change, but listen to a recordgin from say six months ago and youll see how much betteryou are.
Recordiing also helps you to see where you need to tighten up and get better.
Also you can record your own ideas so you can expand and bettter them.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
when you reckon you've got something kinda cool goin' on, record it. Record you saying "this bit is what i like" and "this i'm unsure of" so that when you listen back to it, its in an order you can understand.

Don't record yourself doin' scales... there is no point. If you reckon you've got a song down pat, record and listen to it WITHOUT the guitar in your hands (i know, its hard). this way you will concentrate on how it sounds and not how you're making it.