I need a small amp to take to college with me. I'm looking for something 15 watts or less, and fairly small in size. I had originally decided on a Tiny Terror, but I want to open up my horizons again, in case I'm missing something.
I don't want just some crappy practice amp, I want something that will last me a very long time.
It will be used for recording purposes mostly in the future, or mic'd gigging, although I already have a gigging amp that is perfectly loud.
My budget is $800 US at the maximum, and tubes are preferred.
I play a lot of post-rock, folk, and "indie" so I don't need anything that can get uber br00tz or anything.

I'll be using my strat and possible a G&L Bluesboy Semi-Hollow with it, if I get one.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I really like blackheart handsome devil. 15 watts, has some good gain on it, all tube, and its switchable between 7 and 15 watts i believe, which would be really nice for in a dorm room.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by OceanofNoise
I need a small amp to take to college with me. I'm looking for something 15 watts or less, and fairly small in size. I had originally decided on a Tiny Terror, but I want to open up my horizons again, in case I'm missing something.
I don't want just some crappy practice amp, I want something that will last me a very long time.
It will be used for recording purposes mostly in the future, or mic'd gigging, although I already have a gigging amp that is perfectly loud.
My budget is $800 US at the maximum, and tubes are preferred.
I play a lot of post-rock, folk, and "indie" so I don't need anything that can get uber br00tz or anything.

I'm thinking you have a good budget, but what do you consider a crappy practice amp? A blues jr may suit your needs and they go for $300 used, well under budget. At $800 you may get lucky and find a buddah or bad cat on the used market. I found a top hat 30 watt combo for $850 on clist, deals are out there right now with the economy in such disarray.
Here's an AC15CC for $400.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1016621551.html
Here's an old Champ for $300
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/997771919.html

It kinda depends on which direction you want to go with your tone, american or british. But troll craigslist and see if the 'holy grail' shows up in your range.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I'm thinking you have a good budget, but what do you consider a crappy practice amp?

I just don't want a low budget SS or something with poor construction.
I want something with quality construction that will stand the test of time.

I'll check out the suggestions so far, I've been looking at Blues Jr's and AC15's already, but I really need to play one.
And it would be great to find a boutique gem like a Bad Cat used somewhere, I didn't know they could be had for so cheap.

Oh, and since I plan to buy a Twin Reverb eventually, and that is my ideal clean tone (I also like the AC30's quite a bit though), what small amp would give me the closest clean tone to that? Can a Blues Junior manage something similar?
I also noticed that the Fender Champion 600 is only $200 new, and sounds good on youtube, although nobody is really using it totally clean.
Has anyone tried it out in person?
I live in the middle of nowhere, so I don't get to a music store too often, which is why I have so many questions.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by OceanofNoise at Feb 12, 2009,
Blues Jr's have a great clean tone, fits your needs and is commonly sold on craigslist for $300. You could spend more though, a Deluxe Reverb RI (22 watts) sells new for around $800. Is it $500 better than a BJr, not in my eyes - better yes, $500 better? No.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I only recently purchased the Fender Blues Jr and so far all seems top, much better than the MG!
Hello, mother leopard. I have your cub. You must protect her, but that will be expensive. 10,000 cola nuts, wrapped in brown paper. Midnight, behind the box. I'll be the hyena, you'll see.