Currently using a Randall RX35DM and a Roland Microcube. Just wondering if I could gather a bit more information as to why "not to buy" active pickups/something with active pickups (emgs for example) if not using a tube amp.

Also, if anyone happens to know, how would things be effected by a "hybrid" amp? Like the Randall G3's and such.

The reason I ask, is because I'll be looking into an RG50TC this summer. But the G3+ has caught my eye a bit.

Upgrading my C1+ in the future, and trying to gather some more information, as I've not yet managed to try active pups on a solid state myself. Also in the process of deciding between a C1 Blackjack and a C1 Hellraiser.

Thanks!
Last edited by jgleason82 at Feb 11, 2009,
Eh, my personal vote is passive period, but I'll try to offer more helpful advice!

Generally, actives tend to work better with tube amps, because their super high output is useful for driving the amp harder, and getting that tube breakup we all know and love. With a solid-state amp, power amp clipping is usually undesired, and from my experience, their output levels result in a really fizzy sound in some solid-state amps at lower volumes as well.

Generally, I like hot (but not extremely hot) passive pickups that can add some edge to your sound, but make use of high pre-amp gain in a tasteful manner. However, tone is subjective. You might prefer the sound of EMGs. They work well for metal, I just find them to be a bit too "artificial" sounding compared to a good passive pickup.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Generally Actives dont mix well with SS amps. Thats not always the case though it depends on the amp. Honeslty I would demo the amp with actives and then with passives and see what tone you like best. But passives are gonna be the safest route.
I have used my EMG equipped guitar with my SS it just doesnt sound right, off whatever the term you want to use.
Like IbanezPsycho said it depends on the amp. My Explorer has EMG's in it and I play it through my Vypyr 30 and it sounds pretty good but I have played it through other SS amps and it sounded bad. Most of the time when I use my Vypyr I play my Gibson with the stock passive pickups in it. Always try any gear before you buy it to make sure you like it.
Those knobs are badass ^
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
you shouldn't use actives with solid states because the whole purpose of actives
is to drive tubes harder, you don't want solid state power amp & speaker distortion, it sounds like ass
so your left with the EMG's neutral, sterile tone
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Definitely dig those knobs.

So, I guess the only other question I have pertaining to pickups and pickup replacement would then be...

Would it be worthwhile to replace the HB-102's in my C-1+ with a real SD JB/Jazz combo?
Quote by jgleason82
Definitely dig those knobs.

So, I guess the only other question I have pertaining to pickups and pickup replacement would then be...

Would it be worthwhile to replace the HB-102's in my C-1+ with a real SD JB/Jazz combo?

If I were you I'd do it. Maybe a dimarzio x2n and the SD Jazz if they mix well together.