OK, so I just recently started learning Andy Mckee songs, and naturally I wanna play through my amp cuz it sounds a hell of a lot better with a few effects.

BUT, basically this is the first time I've ever used my acoustic electric through my amp, and whenever i slap the strings a little to hard or pluck a string a little more for dynamics, it makes a VERY loud popping sound.

Is this normal, and do I have to adjust my playing, or is there something amiss??

If it helps, i have a Peavey valveking 112, a boss me50 and the guitar is a fender....no idea what model it was about $300 at guitar center, cd-140sce maybe??
It's not normal... Is the Peavy specifically for acoustic guitar. If it's an electric guitar amp, the you'll need what is called a DI or Direct Input to match the impedance values. Electric and acoustic guitars don't run at quite the same levels.

You prolly get a **** load of buzz too right?
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
No, they peavey is for electric, and actually no, everything sounds fine aside from that LOUD ass pop when I try to slap harmonic or anything of the sort.

Thanks for the suggestion, how exactly does a DI work though??

The amp also has 2 inputs, one of them is less db than the other I believe. It hardly makes a difference though, because I'll have to turn up the volume even higher and the problem is still there.
Last edited by ROMEO2413 at Feb 11, 2009,
Oh... and even with a DI, some electric guitar amps .. just don't sound good with acoustics.

A more common practice is to run acoustics to a soundboard and play through PA system, but there are definitely exceptions to that as well.

There are some out there that use electric guitar amps. I imagine it takes a lot of tweaking to kill the buzz and the pops, really damping the gain etc., but anytime I've tried, it's just been a mess of buzzing, popping, feedback.......

If you really back off the gain, and keep the volume low you might get away with it.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
See if you can rent a DI first, most music places have 'em for rent. Just to make sure that's the issue. or... take your acoustic to the store and play on an acoustic amp.

That'll tell you 100% if it's the guitar or not.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Yeah, I have a feeling my amp just won't do well with my acoustic. You're right about the volume, if i take it down a few steps the problem seems to go away, but then I might as well unplug lol.

Thanks a lot though for your help, I think I'll do that first. Taking your guitar to the store always solves all kinds of problems.
LOL taking my guitar to the store always costs money ... cause I impluse buy stuff.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275