This band is the epitome of a hidden gem. As strange as the in the title claim is, it's essentially true. Legend were a small band from Connecticut that disbanded after their first and only release, From the Fjords. The band's sound is DEEPLY rooted in 70's psychedelic and progressive rock, but it transcends into a Melodic/Epic Traditional metal sound.

The band's lyrics are all fantasy/viking, WAAAAY ahead of their time. The music itself is a bit flawed but incredibly catchy. Since the album was released so long ago and limited to 500 copies ( no official reprints) it's very rare to even find MP3's. I highly suggest the time consuming task of hunting down this band's material as it's very enjoyable.

http://www.myspace.com/legendfromamerica
Last edited by \Powerslave/ at Feb 11, 2009,
Sometimes you are one of my favorite posters Powerslave.

Sometimes

Big fan of Legend. These guys were definitely of legendary status back in the 80's. Mentioning their name would either bring about a hush of silence or a crowd of tape traders asking you where the hell you heard of or saw the tape.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I'll take that as a compliment coming from you.

I actually found this band from Slough Feg's cover of Wizard's Vengeance. Not quite as good as the original but brilliant.
Yes, great hidden gem indeed. I never knew that they were this popular, I always thought I was cool for listening to a cult seventies band that no one's heard of.

CURSE YOU DREAM-RUINER!
Popularity doesn't matter if the quality of music is this good.

The sparce but great use of 12 string and th magnificent bass lines have been ear candy to me lately.
Very cool, good find. Singer could've used some work, but overall, sounds like their contribution was a worthy one.
Quote by DeusExMachina90
Very cool, good find. Singer could've used some work, but overall, sounds like their contribution was a worthy one.

Aside from the fantastic guitar work I actually think the vocals are the best part of the band. such a shame Nugent passed away .
Interesting stuff, definitely ahead of its time. I like it, good find Poweslave.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
If anyone is interested in hearing the whole album send me a PM. I uploaded my files(which are actually better quality than the ones on myspace...) to megaupload.
It sounds more like prog rock to me, but it's awesome.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
The US Legend are great, one can definitely hear where bands like Manilla Road have got some of their inspiration

but still, I prefer the Legend from UK
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by \Powerslave/
Aside from the fantastic guitar work I actually think the vocals are the best part of the band. such a shame Nugent passed away .

Agreed.
Quote by \Powerslave/
If anyone is interested in hearing the whole album send me a PM. I uploaded my files(which are actually better quality than the ones on myspace...) to megaupload.

PM'd
Ok, so this band is admittedly awesome. I can't believe they released something this thorough and well-executed back in 1979.

Just one thing.

WHAT'S WITH THE FUCKING THREE MINUTE DRUM SOLO IN IRON HORSE!!!?? IT INTERRUPTS THE FLOW OF THE ENTIRE ALBUM!@!!!! AAAGHHGHGHH!!!!

That's not to say that the guy isn't a BEAST on the drums. He's incredible. But...come on....you don't have to be the Flo Mounier or Sean Reinert of 1979....fills don't need to be EVERYWHERE.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Apr 21, 2009,
So heres the scoop on the middle songs of the album(why they exist):

Dude from Legend1 (DFL, henceforth): "Dude, spark that J.."
DFL2: "aright dude"

~30 minutes pass, they are good and stoned~

DFL1: "turn on the tube, mannn......"
DFL2: "OK, man"

~turns on Pale Rider or some shit~
~For 10 minutes, they both watch in silence~

DFL1: "Dude......Cowboys..are like....the vikings...of the west..."
DFL2: *headexplodes*

~And thus, shitty songs were writ~
From the Fjords could have been one of the greatest EP's ever made. Instead we have a flawed, but amazing album. The drummer is indeed amazing, it's a bit sad he never did anything with another project

I hardly listen to the middle 4 songs anymore.

http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=11615

If anyone hasn't read this yet, I highly suggest you do so. It's an interview with the bassist, a great read!
Quote by \Powerslave/
From the Fjords could have been one of the greatest EP's ever made. Instead we have a flawed, but amazing album. The drummer is indeed amazing, it's a bit sad he never did anything with another project

I hardly listen to the middle 4 songs anymore.

http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=11615

If anyone hasn't read this yet, I highly suggest you do so. It's an interview with the bassist, a great read!

I pretty much always skip the middle 4. I'll sometimes listen to The Confrontation because it has an amazing Sabbath-esque riff near the end, but I usually skip it as well. I'd delete those four songs, just make me not have to manually skip them every time, but I hate having incomplete albums.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I AM THE DESTROYAAAH

I GUARD THE ENTRANCE TO THE CORE OF THE WOOORLLD

BURIED BENEATH YOUUU

ARE THE BONES AND THE BLOOOD

OF MY POWER UNFUUURRLEEEED

Dun... dananaa dun nana
Last edited by \Powerslave/ at Oct 7, 2009,
I am everlasting. Eternity is mine
My blades all drip the crimson red
Of those who seek the door of time
Eternity is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

ALRIGHT NOW
Philosophy > Life
This album (FtF) really drops off for me after the first 4 songs...only to get ridiculously awesome again by the time the closing track comes along. RARZ is massively stupid though, and even if it were the only bad track on the album, it would still take the album down quite a few notches.

But man, that last track.
Quote by DeusExMachina90
This album (FtF) really drops off for me after the first 4 songs...only to get ridiculously awesome again by the time the closing track comes along. RARZ is massively stupid though, and even if it were the only bad track on the album, it would still take the album down quite a few notches.

But man, that last track.

That's everyone's opinion on the album