In the beginning of the solo of Communication Breakdown by Zeppelin
and when the wah kicks in for the solo in Dani California...
Page and Frusciante both play this repeating riff. Quite fast (at least for me)
its not exactly the same in each song, but similar, and the style is the same...

I can't play that kind of thing, anyone have any tips on trying to play in that solo style?

To be more precise, for some inexplicable reason, my timing is off. I can play the first cycle, but when it repeats it always doesn't work, plus I can't move my fretting fingers and pick at that speed and still have them stay together.

e|----12- --P---- ----12- -----------|----12- ------- ----12- -------|
B|--------1512------------151215-|--------151212----------15121212
G|1416--------14--1416------P---|1416------P-----1416-----------|
D|--B---------------B-----------------|--B---------------B------------|
A|-------------------------------------|-------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------|-------------------------------

kinda hard to read, but thats the beginning of the solo for Communication Breakdown. (If you listen for it, you will get it)

Thanks for the tips.

Oh and one other thing. To gauge how I'm doing... how hard would you say this solo is? I'm almost a two year player (completely self taught), should I be having trouble with this or should this be easy?
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Last edited by Yeti60 at Feb 11, 2009,
Slow down. Don't try and play it full speed, or even close. Learn it at a speed you can play it perfectly, and practice it at that speed til you have it down, then gradually let yourself speed up. If you try and learn it too fast you'll just keep playing it wrong, and eventually your fingers will learn it wrong and you'll have a pig of a time trying to relearn it.
zhilla is right, but don't get hung up on exact.

I've played communication break down for years, often as cover in live.... I don't recognize the phrase you've tabbed.... although maybe I just play it by feel..... Jimmy Page certainly never played it again the same LOL... as long as you can burn up a pentatonic/pentatonic minor or similar scale...... then.... you know the solo to communication break down.

and... anything you haven't done before, even after many years has difficulty. By the time your a 5 year player, this solo will be like butter for you

Oh.. if you want to recycle some of the licks you're learning in this song, try Dazed and Confused next.... lots of similarities there.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm not really a shred player, so speed is not one of my strengths. This solo I feel will definitely help me with speed.

Also working on Eruption, couple trouble spots in there.
AROUND THE WORLD

Oh.. and... I've played some smoking stuff over the years. Metallica, Zep, Randy Rhoads solos etc.... but I still can't play that simple little fricken lick at the beginning of Steve Miller Keep on Rocking you Baby.

I can do freaking amazing things sometimes, but that dumb ass little lick has never agreed with my fingers...... sometimes it just doesn't happen. It doesn't mean anything...
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
LOL Milez thats pretty funny. I mean you sound like a better guitarist than me by far, but I can even play that Steve Miller lick!

but I know what you mean. There are just some riffs and such that don't ever sound/feel right.
AROUND THE WORLD

ya SHADDUP.

Just keep at it. Maybe I'll revist that damn Steve Miller using zhilla's method.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Maybe you're playing a version thats more complicated than the original?
AROUND THE WORLD

It's something about that lick. Same lick is in Jumping jack flash and I can't play it, yet, similar lick is in Dazed and Confused, just slightly different beat to it, and I nail it every time.

Somthin to do with some bad neurons in the brain me thinks.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Well good luck to you. Its a good song that is.

I've been looking over the Communication Breakdown solo part again, I think I'll be able to get it if I'm just patient and play it over and over again slowly increasing speed.
AROUND THE WORLD

That is one of the most common licks in rock'n'roll, and hard to get right. Extremely annoying too at first, considering how many songs it's in. As said above, start slow and get faster, but another problem may be your fingering.

I tried to do it at first with the pinky playing the high note on the B, it wasn't until I saw others using their 4th finger to do it that I started making headway on it.

You'll get there
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
That is one of the most common licks in rock'n'roll, and hard to get right. Extremely annoying too at first, considering how many songs it's in. As said above, start slow and get faster, but another problem may be your fingering.

I tried to do it at first with the pinky playing the high note on the B, it wasn't until I saw others using their 4th finger to do it that I started making headway on it.

You'll get there

OMFG this lick is like the one in the fade to black outro solo, well sorta, and i have been doing with my pinky forever and i finally got the speed after slow slow repition for a looong time, and i do it once right now with the ring inger like you said and nail it with a nicer feel thanks
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
damn, been working on it, its still slow going, I've made some progress, but its still not there. Anyone know any good lesson vids on youtube for Dazed and Confused solo or Dani California video? I think I'm gonna need to actually see someone play it.
AROUND THE WORLD

It's just slow.. I remember what Paradise City by GnR was just out (showing my age), Slash was in Guitar magazine and they asked him how he got the opening lick down. He figured it took him 40 hours or more of just playing that lick over and over to get it to the point that he'd not make a mistake and always play it clean.

40 hours... and that's someone who is already "advanced".

As far as seeing lick goes.... this is close...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSxo9RLrSwM
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Quote by Milez5858
It's just slow.. I remember what Paradise City by GnR was just out (showing my age), Slash was in Guitar magazine and they asked him how he got the opening lick down. He figured it took him 40 hours or more of just playing that lick over and over to get it to the point that he'd not make a mistake and always play it clean.

40 hours... and that's someone who is already "advanced".

As far as seeing lick goes.... this is close...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSxo9RLrSwM

Damn thats intense... Guess I'm gonna be working on that thing for a while then.

Thanks for the vid also.
AROUND THE WORLD