Poll: In general, do you prefer live or recorded music?
Poll Options
View poll results: In general, do you prefer live or recorded music?
Live
48 48%
Recorded
53 52%
Voters: 101.
Most people like the energy of a good show and I'm no exception, but I had an epiphany a few weeks back:

For popular music, I prefer listening to recordings over attending concerts.
I like concerts--they're a lot of fun--but I get more out of the music when I can listen to it privately on my own terms.

For years I was in denial over this issue because I figured it would take away any credibility I had as a musician or lover of music, but I've finally decided I don't have to apologize for it.

Here's my take (and what can actually make this a discussion): popular music concerts tend to be more about energy than about music, some musically minded folks love the culture and energy at least as much as the music itself, and some folks don't care about these things nearly as much as the music. I would be the latter.

What about you pit? I'm really curious, since you obviously all love music itself quite a bit, is the energy of live performance the reason you love it, rather than the sounds and structures of music itself? Is there anything wrong (as I subconsciously assumed for years) with prefering a recording to live performance? And what are the specific differences between live and recorded music in terms of how you interact with a piece--let's get down to the nitty gritty about how the two affect us differntly.

tl;dr ( I hate your ADD): I prefer listening to recorded popular music over live. I'm no longer ashamed of it, and I've been thinking about the differences between the two (beyond the obvious ones) and I want to hear the pits's thoughts on the issue.

I'd prefer we didn't make blatent value judgements about which is superior--focus on what works best for you. But I am eager to here what people think about how those value judgements come about in the first place.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 11, 2009,
Some music is better recorded, because you can simply do so much more. I don't really have a preference.

Poll?
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Some songs take a life of their own played live, Cynic for example.
Some songs die live, DragonForce's discography for example.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Live show....for weeks after i go to a concert the world doesn't seem as exciting

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Well for pop music or stuff like that, id prefer to have it on my own, apart from exceptional circumstances.

But for rock, i like both equally, a new album in ears from my faveourite bands i love just as much as seeing my faveourite band (muse) performing live right infront of me. I find that both factions have an unparalled energy, each to their own rights. Studio recordings can take you to the skies and beyond, live brings you down to earth but makes you ascend in a different way.

Hence why both, are Amazing
Depends on my mood realy. I definatly prefer to hear dance music live though..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by CTFOD

^ Dragonforce was great at Mayhem 08'.

They didn't **** up once.

Don't let youtube cloud your judgement.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Nice thread.
People like Buckethead are much funner to see live than to listen to. Because they go into mind f^ckingly amazing guitar solos that make you come everywhere. And you get to breathe in that nice fresh pot and cig smoke.
Then there are bands like dragonforce who suck terribly in the studio and suck even more live. Thats really fun to watch.
I dont like any bands now a days. They are all kinda boring and really similar.
But I would rather see the Chili Peppers live because their shows rock.
Overall I would rather see the show than hear the song on my iPod, even though what I listen to is amazing either way.
altough recorded music is always more correct ..
I like live music way more because it takes you with it mor + you can hear if the band is actually good

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by CTFOD

Dragonforce was dead from the beginning.

Their live shows are like beating a decomposing corpse with a stick: kind of entertaining, but quite disgusting and altogether useless.
Live music would be nowhere near as fun if you didn't have the recorded music. You wouldn't know any of the songs. So therefore you cant compare them, =/=
Depends on the band, the type of music played, and how much of the songs are making use of samples (stuff that was layered in studio)

I saw In Flames live a couple months ago and it was so much better than on their cds...everything about it was perfect. Same with Opeth...

But if you take, for instance, most indie and or pop and or alternative music, the music sounds hollow when played live as most of the depth in the music is recorded in layers in the studio. (weird sentence...)

-TFA
Recorded. I've been to a few concerts but I always felt out of my comfort zone because I was there to see the band and hear the music (rather than jump around and yell). Not to mention with recordings everything is perfect. Even if a band plays perfectly live there will still be stuff missing most of the time (strings/double tracking/effects etc.)
i prefer to listen to Recorded, it's clearer and how it's supposed to sound.

Live is best when you know the song and can follow, but still enjoy yourself with the atmosphere and presence of the band.
for me it varies massivley band to band, some bands do just play a set list and walk off stage, i can do that at home by sticking their album on shuffle - others make gigs special, maybe bringing out bits that would make a recording non-radio friendly and so never left the studio - or running songs together in an exciting way or even going all out and shoving in a whole other level (think metallica s+m live)

i think the thing i love most is small gigs - where you can really see the band, work out that their each thinking and enjoy the music without being elbowed in the head...

one thing i can't stand is live recordings - why? you get all the missed notes and bad mixing without any of the energy or feeling of a gig and whole load of cheering over your favourite acoustic intro

overall though the best thing with music is to play it .
that's always live
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I've heard great live recordings, some not too my taste.
I prefer recorded music, and not live.
By "popular" i meant all forms of popular music, rock, country, even jazz etc. The music I prefer live is Serious or Classical music, just because no home stereo I could ever afford can reproduce the sound of the music as it is in a concert hall.

Some bands definately shine better on one form or the other (even I don't want to hear recordings of jam bands ), but what about overall taste?

Good comments, keep em coming. I can't believe this didn't turn into a flame fest on how "inauthentic" or unmusical I am!
Quote by dullsilver_mike
By "popular" i meant all forms of popular music, rock, country, even jazz etc. The music I prefer live is Serious or Classical music, just because no home stereo I could ever afford can reproduce the sound of the music as it is in a concert hall.

Some bands definately shine better on one form or the other (even I don't want to hear recordings of jam bands ), but what about overall taste?

Good comments, keep em coming. I can't believe this didn't turn into a flame fest on how "inauthentic" or unmusical I am!

Most of the Pit seems open minded, it's the few who are retarded and elitist who flame

But I would say like it however you want music is music
It depends whether the band have got their live sound sorted out to match what they can come up with in the studio. I can think of a lot of bands who have produced excellent recordings but then they just sound a bit lacking when they play them live - a bit of studio sheen and funky production is fine but for it to really work you have to be able to replicate it on-stage.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
It depends whether the band have got their live sound sorted out to match what they can come up with in the studio. I can think of a lot of bands who have produced excellent recordings but then they just sound a bit lacking when they play them live - a bit of studio sheen and funky production is fine but for it to really work you have to be able to replicate it on-stage.

I actually think a lot of tight regional bands around here could play much better music live, but they let the show get in the way of the music. I know that's what a lot of people want, but for me they perform much worse than they would have for the sake of making it into a rockshow.

I especially dislike it when an otherwise good band (or an evil sound man) thinks turning up the music even louder will somehow make it rock more. All of a sudden the mix gets off, and it sounds a lot worse. Some people really like that extra volume for the energy it brings, but I'd prefer the cleaner mix.

I'm not trying to slam that type of show, just articulating exactly what types of things make me turn more toward recorded music.
If they're not worth listening to live, they're not worth listening to in the studio.
SOunds better recorded, so Id rather listen to recorded versions of songs over live versions.

However, I go to a gig for the atmosphere and the excitement as much as the music.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Recorded music.

I feel like there is something live that doesn't make me feel the actual music than listening to the CD.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Both have their merits.

There's nothing like the experience and atmosphere of a good gig, but the sound quality and musicianship on offer in that atmosphere can never rival the products of a creative mind in the studio.
I am the only person I know who likes live albums. Both have their little nuances that I love, whether they be alternate live versions or effects that could only be done in a studio.
99% of the time, live music. Exceptions being obvious bands like *cough* Dragonforce *cough*. Wouldn't pay to see them.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by SPBY
Live show....for weeks after i go to a concert the world doesn't seem as exciting

That happend to ne with AC/DC!

I love going to concerts, but since I listen to recordings more, I choose recording.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Most of the time, recorded music/live albums. There are a few bands that I think would be exceptions, but the only one I know that I prefer in concert is The Raconteurs.

But I don't really go to concerts for the music only, it's more of a bonus to the social aspect of it.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Has everyone here seen Dragonforce live?

They have really cleaned up their act live since some of the old 06' tours.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
I would rather listen to studio recorded music than live music, but I would rather go to a show than sit at home listening to music.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008