I'm getting a Gibson Les Paul, and I was looking at the Studio version, but then a friend told me that the Standard was better than the Studio, and then another friend said that the studio is better than the Standard.

I was wondering which version IS better, or if it's more of an opinion thing.

As far as style, I play alot of everything. But mainly Metallica, Nickelback, Avenged Sevenfold, stuff, as well as the style of my own band (Put Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold, and Nickelback in a room together and you get us)

And budget is not a factor for me either, (if it helps)
Standard is better than studio (custom's best if budget is no issue!)
1. Gibsons on the whole are hella overpriced.

2. The Standard vs. the Studio is largely an opinion thing, but the quality control on the Studios is sub-par. Unless you're gonna be trying and buying at a store, go for the Standard.

Really, though, unless you're just doing it for brand loyalty (in which case feel free), I think that there is no Gibson one ought to be looking at. I can't think of any price range where I couldn't find a better deal.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Feb 11, 2009,
Les Pauls are common and suck.

Can turn around without seeing one, they dont feel nice at all imo.

Although i have haerd, standard is better than studio.
Well,with Gibson it's really down to the specific guitar,you could get a gem or a dud no matter what series it is.The only advice I can give is to try out Gibby models until you find one that fits you and never buy one without trying it first.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

GC had the studio at the store which i played, and I think I feel in love, which is why i decided to get it.

When I told my friend I was getting Studio, he said the standard was much better. Which raised my question. (apparently the Standard was on order at my local GC)
Technically the standard is better, your best bet is to get a custom shop like the 59 VOS etc,
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
You have any type of limit here? I know you say price isn't an issue, but I'm sure you have a spending limit..?
The standard has better pickups and binding. other then that they are the same guitar.

With that aside, I prefer the studio, cause pickups can be changed and I don't even like binding. If I were in your situation I'd get a used studio from the 90's, they aren't chambered, and can be had for around $600.
If you must have a new one, I'd still say go with the studio. Cause burstbuckers aren't worth an extra 1000+ dollars.
I'd like to stay under $2,000 I know it's alot, but I'm 16 and i make $9,000 a year (Family business), so there's not much else i need money for.
Quote by RunawayKaren
The standard has better pickups and binding. other then that they are the same guitar.

With that aside, I prefer the studio, cause pickups can be changed and I don't even like binding. If I were in your situation I'd get a used studio from the 90's, they aren't chambered, and can be had for around $600.
If you must have a new one, I'd still say go with the studio. Cause burstbuckers aren't worth an extra 1000+ dollars.

Are you sure those are the only differences. I've heard the standard has better everything compared to the studio
27mMoV31II7.a2
i would go with the classic model.

or just to give you another option... considering a ESP wouldnt be bad either.
Quote by JessicaGonzo
i would go with the classic model.

No longer in production, but if you can find one, hell yeah.
Quote by Antimage27
Are you sure those are the only differences. I've heard the standard has better everything compared to the studio

Nope. That's pretty much it. Individual guitars will have different setups, but you can't really judge a whole line like that.

If the Classic mentioned above isn't considered, I'd also echo that guy's suggestion of a '90s Studio. As early in the '90s as you can get. Those are good guitars.
Quote by RunawayKaren

F'n A !
I picked up a 1990 White studio for $725. and not only is it chambered, but has
a maple cap and ebony board. and plays like a dream.
Whats the difference between all the Les paul models??
Like Classic, Classic antique, antique, traditional, etc.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
Whats the difference between all the Les paul models??
Like Classic, Classic antique, antique, traditional, etc.

Things like pickups, binding, overall craftsmanship- the amount of time they spend on each instrument. Check Musiciansfriend and you'll see what I mean about the pickups