Not sure if I'm in the right spot, and I know there are tons of "what/how to teach" threads, but this is a bit different.
My girlfriend took lessons for a couple years, then quit 'cause she didn't have time. She quit like 2 years ago. So she's a beginner, but not completely novice. I wanna teach her open chords and power chords, unless she's learned them already. After that, I'm not really sure where to go... I think she wants to learn songs, as opposed to theory. So basically, what should I teach her after chords and power chords, and what are some easy, basic songs that use chord progressions?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
in my guitar class we learned free fallin' and yellow submarine for using chords, they're pretty easy to get the hang of, maybe start with those
Hmm... maybe you should start teach her songs she likes. Almost every song has a good chord progression to practice on
Or you should just work on her picking style, teach her fingerpicking styles, or some kind of soloing, some basic scales to pump a little life in her music

Or you should just train her like a mad scientist and raise a new Malmsteen among us - now female. Have your choice
Alright, she said she has learned chords, but she forgets everything.
I'd rather not raise a new Malmsteen... I'm not really a fan of him. A female Hendrix would be nice, though...
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Get to bar chords! They are basically extended power chords. Very useful when you get the hang of it. Emphasize picking accuracy and synchronization with her fretting hand. Maybe teach some finger picking? Scales also!
But ultimately, its what the student wants... and that goes double cause she's your girlfriend.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
If she keeps forgetting the chords, she hasn't learnt them yet. Start teaching songs which use open chords which will help her remeber the shapes and sounds of each chord. There is no use in teaching barre chords if she can't do open chords competently. Once a chord is learnt, you have to teach her how to use it with other chords.

As a note, this is how you learn something;
- Introduction (Teach the chord)
- Revision (Teach it again, maybe something about it)
- Application (How to use the chord)
- Revision (of chord and how to use it)
- Internalisation (you get her to tell you what the chord is and how it's used)
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by BD 425
Alright, she said she has learned chords, but she forgets everything.
I'd rather not raise a new Malmsteen... I'm not really a fan of him. A female Hendrix would be nice, though...

If you want to teach her bar chords there's a bit of a cheat you can use to help remember where they are. If you go out to a stationary store and buy a box of those little white stickers that you can write on, stick them carefully along the top of the neck, just above where your thumb rests, 1 sticker for each fret and write the names of the chord formed by barring at that fret on them. Once she's mastered the E shape bar chords you could change the stickers up and do them for A form or whatever you want to learn next. I did this when I was learning and it was really helpful.