Here's the deal: I traded a guy my old practice amp for an Ibanez bass so i could start a techno-industrial-metal band with my friend. i dont have much money far a bass amp, but my friend has two 10" subwoofers he was gunna put in his car, but decided not too. if i got a head unit, could i hook it up to the subwoofers?
It depends on the ratings of the speakers and head.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Well, of course youll need to mount them in something. Then there';s things like sensitivity, as you can guess im BS a bit, cause im trying to make a cab, and its quite complicated, but im gettingthe generally idea.

Mayberead my thread for some finer points.
Lets say i want to build a cab.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by spinalshred
Here's the deal: I traded a guy my old practice amp for an Ibanez bass so i could start a techno-industrial-metal band with my friend. i dont have much money far a bass amp, but my friend has two 10" subwoofers he was gunna put in his car, but decided not too. if i got a head unit, could i hook it up to the subwoofers?

Car speakers are no good for Bass guitar. they are designed for canned music not live.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
It will be absolutely positively terrible, no doubt about it. Besides the infeasibility of 10" subwoofers, the things typically top off at 150Hz. A horrible idea for an even worse sound.

And that's assuming you could get the connections and impedences right.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
If you MUST do this, get a tweeter as well. Otherwise, blllergh.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
car subs have no definition. if you insist on going self built get some PA speakers or (preferably) Bass Speakers instead.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
If you MUST have a cab, on the cheap, you can use those cheapo Durabrand speakers at wal-mart. You can get a couple of 6x9's that have a decent enough frequency range. Four of those in a box would at least let you hear yourself, but don't mic them...use a DI or something. They'll sound horrible.
Nope, no sig here.
Unless they're 15" bins you're going to struggle with car subs. 10"s are generally used for midrange and responsive with bass cabs, so if they're trying to bring the low-end they'll struggle.
Quote by the_underling
Unless they're 15" bins you're going to struggle with car subs. 10"s are generally used for midrange and responsive with bass cabs, so if they're trying to bring the low-end they'll struggle.

You're looking at it from the wrong angle, car speakers have different cone and suspension materials, 10"s will produce notes as low as you want them too but they will not stand up to the dynamics of live playing, most have a PVC/rubber surround/suspension, that is why car and HiFi speakers reproduce low notes at low sound levels.
Hit them with live Bass playing and you will soon have ex speakers.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn