ok well i just started playin guitar about 3 weeks ago. Well i have friends that play guitar right. well i got these tabs and i was practicing them but i go so slow. I'll look at it and play the first three notes then first three notes and counting the frets and everything. like i'll play 1-3-5 and then theres a 9 so i gotta count to the 9 fret and im just so slow. my friends will look at it and right away play the first intro part like nothing. when it takes me like 20 minutes to just get it done without pausing. and its still so slow i cant tell what song i played. how can i improve my speed?
Quote by El Gigante
You've been playing for 3 weeks. Take it slow, don't attempt songs that are out of your grasp for the moment. Practice Practice Practice.

This guy is right.

Don't do stuff too out of your league too soon, you'll screw up one of two things.

1. Technique-you'll want something so bad you'll compromise tech to get it.
2. Your wrist-too much too soon isn't healthy.

Play simple riffs and simple songs. Go slow, you'll get better soon enough.

Good Luck!!!
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
take guitar slow, if you have a teacher go at the same pace as he is giving you

if not then you need to learn open chords and 5th chords/power chords/open chords before you think about fast riffs that jump 4 or 5 frets, and even after all the chord learning you still need to learn the basic scales anybody should know that being the blues pentatonic, blues minor box and the basic major scale.

all that takes about a year to learn properly if you plan onsticking with the instrument you should do all of that first, working with slower riffs in between all the learning.
Guitars:
1991 Fender American Stratocaster
2008 Dean Ml '79

Amps:
Egnater Tweaker
Fender G-DEC 15

Pedals:
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop 535Q Chrome Series Wah
MXR Dyna Comp
Ibanez TS-808
Don't worry about it - play it at whatever speed you can, however slow that is. WHen you get good at it at that speed you'll gradually speed it up naturally, but get it right before you try and speed up.

And as for counting frets - have you got dots on the side of your fretboard at the 3rd/5th/7th/9th/12th etc fret? Use them as reference points

Once you get know the fretboard and your fingers are used to the movement you'll be able to play tabs as easily as your friends, but it'll take some practice (and time) to get there

Most importantly though - have fun
Take some time and memorize where the dots are on your fretboard. It is usually 3-5-7-9-12. Once you have those memorized, all you have to do is count dots, not frets. It will take some time, but not as much as you were. El Gigante is right, you are in the very early stages of guitar playing and you should take it slow so you don't learn any bad habits. Have fun and don't give up!
^^^ tis true, dont rush yourself, it takes time lol

Also just play, get whatever it is your doing nailed, then worry about speed. Try learning some simple feelgood songs too (eg "ride" by the vines etc) by "feelgood" i mean simple fun songs,

youll catch up with everyone else in good time dude
I will jump in with everyone else by saying that you will have to do things painfully slow at this stage. You will have to count frets for awhile until you get a feel for where they fall and the intervals between them. It will become second nature after a few months.

No matter how painful it is to go that slow, it is definitely worth it. Do not overlook this and try to do things too fast right away. You will learn bad habits and develop muscle memory for those bad habits.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Like everyone else says playing the guitar just takes a lot of practice. The stuff I used to struggle with a few months ago I now use only to warm up. Playing fast like anything else is just down to practice. Don't worry about being slow, first you have to be accurate then you will soon develop the speed.
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
This guy is right.

Don't do stuff too out of your league too soon, you'll screw up one of two things.

1. Technique-you'll want something so bad you'll compromise tech to get it.
2. Your wrist-too much too soon isn't healthy.

Play simple riffs and simple songs. Go slow, you'll get better soon enough.

Good Luck!!!

Yes! Someone who really plays guitar on here! Anyone who's been through the initial stages FOR REAL knows that practicing four hours or more each day at first is physically bad. Thanks for pointing that out. I have students who browbeat themselves because they only practice two hours a day and then come on here reading that internet phonies are practicing four to ten hours a day right off the bat and can play very technical songs perfectly within six months. Go slow if you're actually interested in being a musician. Otherwise you're going to be chasing the easy way with millions of other wannabes.
Last edited by gtmom at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by gtmom
Yes! Someone who really plays guitar on here! Anyone who's been through the initial stages FOR REAL knows that practicing four hours or more each day at first is physically bad. Thanks for pointing that out. I have students who browbeat themselves because they only practice two hours a day and then come on here reading that internet phonies are practicing four to ten hours a day right off the bat and can play very technical songs perfectly within six months. Go slow if you're actually interested in being a musician. Otherwise you're going to be chasing the easy way with millions of other wannabes.

Thanks!! I only practice actually about 2-3 hours a week.
I'm extremely double jointed so i have to be careful how long i play, but ive know people to injur themselves whil playing.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Make sure you stretch before and after playing. Other than that, take it easy, and with time it will come.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
You won't be able to play what anyone would consider fast for at least a year and a half i would think.
3 weeks is nothing. The guitar is awfully slow to get started. You have to train many things at once. Your hands, your mind, your positions, etc.

Going slow is what builds solid techniques and accurracy.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
0-3-5--0-3-6-5-

Do it.
Also: go slow. You don't stand a chance at knowing the frets straight away. After a bit you'll be fine and smile at threads like this and remember the good old days. Just stick in there
My advice is learn your open major and minor chords and learn to switch between them smoothly..
thanks guys. I guess i just really wanna play all that cool stuff too fast and i gotta learn the basics first.
Quote by ASD_d00d
thanks guys. I guess i just really wanna play all that cool stuff too fast and i gotta learn the basics first.

Don't we all.

Look at this way, you have to go through grade school before you can hit college.

In between lessons let yourself go on the guitar, pretend you're a rock star. Pick a note on the guitar where it sounds good to you. Let that be your key and play around it. No looking at scales or chords just play with your ears.

Don't worry if you sound awful because you will. Your ears are gonna teach ya to quit being so awful.

As you learn your scales, chords, whatever incooperate them in your wanking.

It may sound silly but theory cannot teach you how to play a guitar but to analyze music. it lays the foundation that's all. If you applied theory to the guitar gods' music you will find lots of surprises. They broke the rules so your ears will help you do that.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
"been playing for 3 weeks".

Thats all that needs to be said.

Ive been at it for over a year and Im not that fast.
Yea, over a year here and I just learned the solo of purple haze, my first solo. I practice almost daily for an hour or 2 each day.

I started out playing sunshine of your love, Surrender, and Message in a bottle. Each of those teaches you something different. SOYL is good for moving your hand aroudn the fretboard. Surrender for powerchords, and message in a bottle for right hand accuracy.

If you like these songs I suggest taking a look at them. Like everyone else has said, the only thing you have to do is practice, you WILL get better, it just takes time. Practice maybe half an hour each day on whatever you feel like and before you know it, things will come easier and faster.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by floppypick
Yea, over a year here and I just learned the solo of purple haze, my first solo. I practice almost daily for an hour or 2 each day.

I started out playing sunshine of your love, Surrender, and Message in a bottle. Each of those teaches you something different. SOYL is good for moving your hand aroudn the fretboard. Surrender for powerchords, and message in a bottle for right hand accuracy.

If you like these songs I suggest taking a look at them. Like everyone else has said, the only thing you have to do is practice, you WILL get better, it just takes time. Practice maybe half an hour each day on whatever you feel like and before you know it, things will come easier and faster.

Good suggestion and learn your fav songs too. Do you have any guitar heroes who you'd like to play?

My favs are the 70s heroes. Among them my favs are Mark Farner, Buck Dharma, and Tony Iommi. I learned a few of their songs to jam on. I'm not dead on note to note but developed a style. When you play you'll be you not them.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Learn the neck first, play simple riffs and what not. Do exercises
up and down the neck and stuff. If you try something to hard
there's a good chance you'll pick up a bad habit or technique.