Poll: Which guitar? Epiphone Les Paul Special II VS (vs) Fender Squire Fat Strat
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar? Epiphone Les Paul Special II VS (vs) Fender Squire Fat Strat
Fender Squire Fat Strat
4 24%
Epiphone Les Paul Special II VS
10 59%
Other please state
3 18%
Voters: 17.
Ok I'm looking at this

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_lp_special_ii_vs_playerpack.htm

vs this

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/21367

^^ Is that a "FAT" model. I'm not sure? What's the difference

The EPIPHONE LP SPECIAL II VS good good reviews. (But it wasnt a VS model. Once again, what's the difference)

Or should I forget the packs but a guitar, maybe a Squire fat strat for around 170 or so and buy a cheap amp off ebay?

Thanks
Last edited by Tkm at Feb 11, 2009,
Think about your favorite artists and what instruments they play.. ie: Who do you want to emulate. (if anyone)...

One guitar is essentially a beginner Fender and the other is a beginner Les Paul. .....
so

Les Paul or Fender...... there was a day when that was the single toughest guitar question to answer.... now .... . there's many brands each as good as the next....

In my head, I've always defined the two between Jimmy Page and David Gilmour. Two of the best but completely opposite ends of the spectrum.....

You'll have to choose your axe based on what you like, the quality/workmanship will be pretty much even on the two.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
the strat. deffinatly. it will get you much better tones than the epi, imo. i've played both.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
I have the LP. Actually I got the pack with the 15W amp instead of the 10, but it's not TOO much different. Same guitar obviously.

Can't give you feedback in a 1 vs 2 scenario as I never played the Squire, but I'm happy with the LP purchase.
Cool. Could someone tell me about the difference between the "Squier Affinity Series Strat" and the "Fender Squier FAT Strat"

Is the FAT a bit thicker? Are they essentially the same guitar

Also what the difference between the "EPIPHONE LP SPECIAL II VS" and the "EPIPHONE LP SPECIAL II"

What's the VS? The reviews I've seen haven't had the VS part?
Last edited by Tkm at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by Tkm
Cool. Could someone tell me about the difference between the "Squier Affinity Series Strat" and the "Fender Squier FAT Strat"

Is the FAT a bit thicker? Are they essentially the same guitar

Also what the difference between the "EPIPHONE LP SPECIAL II VS" and the "EPIPHONE LP SPECIAL II"

What's the VS? The reviews I've seen haven't had the VS part?

A Fat strat is a exactly the same as a regular strat except with a humbucking pickup in the bridge position. This give you a thicker, "fatter" sound and also eliminates the 60 cycle hum from single coil pickups. If you want to play rock or metal type stuff with lots of distortion you probably want a humbucker. VS, as the guy a couple of posts above as said, is just the colour, it has no effect on the sound or quality.
IMO, go with the Squier Affinity Series Fat Strat and either a Peavy Vypyr or Roland Microcube amp. Squier makes good beginner guitars, and the Vypyr and Microcube are generally accepted as the best starter amp.

OH, and there is nothing special about Epiphone LP Specials.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I thought of a different way to think on this. I remember as a beginner, I was really sensitive to the neck of my guitar.. meanting that switching from my guitar to another could throw me off somewhat.... maybe that is different for others... but....... even if so, you will get used to a neck, and it's more likely when you upgrade to your next guitar you'll have developed a preference for that style of neck.... so.......

Consider what you might like to be most comfortable on in the future. Both Strats and Les Pauls are awesome and both have long lists of seriously famous players. As a rule, I'd say faster players tend to Les Paul, and melodic players tend to Strat... but... SRV smokes the fret board and he uses a strat... many others smoke on strat too.... and some play very melody on Les Paul... anyway... blah blah.....

Rather than look at a price/value comparison... these are both starter versions of very famous guitars and although they won't have the sound or quality of their big brothers, the necks will be very true to their more expensive counter parts .....
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
i can see the strat holding up for longer, but i can assure u quality wise that the LP, although not too different, is a better make. if ur beginning, and are sure ur serious about this, i'd say get another, better quality guitar because for some, the first guitar can be a great factor in how much one is inspired to play it. sadly this is often the case

hopefull taht made sense sorry.

in summary: get the strat, u have much more options for sound with it or get a higher end beginners guitar if u one who often is discouraged from playing low end pieces of wood.

you can always go for other brands, NEVER buy a guitar, just because of the label that comes along with it. look into copies and such, u might save alot of money and have a guitar of similar quality.

/ramble
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte