hey guys,
so i'm a total noob in this stuff right here

so i got no idea if what i'm gonna say would make sense or not.

i can't afford to buy a good amp so all i have is this Technics stereo system which is really powerful.

so i use it as an amp, i connect the guitar through the AUX of the stereo into the multi effect and then into my guitar.

everytime i switch it on there's a humming/buzzing sound ..an electrical sound.

everytime i touch the strings it's gone.

so i think it's a ground wire thing.

the stereo system that i have doesn't have a ground wire ..so it's just 2 prongs (and only 2 wires)

now is there a way ..any way possible that i could eliminate this electrical noise?

after googling i've found This, a ground loop isolator from radioshack which is supposed to eliminate the electrical noise.

should i get it and try it? or is there another solution?

thank you
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
Quote by TTElectro
hey guys,
so i'm a total noob in this stuff right here

so i got no idea if what i'm gonna say would make sense or not.

i can't afford to buy a good amp so all i have is this Technics stereo system which is really powerful.

so i use it as an amp, i connect the guitar through the AUX of the stereo into the multi effect and then into my guitar.

everytime i switch it on there's a humming/buzzing sound ..an electrical sound.

everytime i touch the strings it's gone.

so i think it's a ground wire thing.

the stereo system that i have doesn't have a ground wire ..so it's just 2 prongs (and only 2 wires)

now is there a way ..any way possible that i could eliminate this electrical noise?

after googling i've found This, a ground loop isolator from radioshack which is supposed to eliminate the electrical noise.

should i get it and try it? or is there another solution?

thank you

There is some resistance in your ground connection, it could be a bad solder joint, a poor component, or, like you suggested, a ground loop. There's only so much help that can be provided over the internet before you're just going to have to try a few different things.

What kind of guitar is it?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
There is some resistance in your ground connection, it could be a bad solder joint, a poor component, or, like you suggested, a ground loop. There's only so much help that can be provided over the internet before you're just going to have to try a few different things.

What kind of guitar is it?

the stereo doesn't have a ground wire in the first place ..my house is grounded though

and i'm using a starter's kit guitar ..a Yamaha ERG 121C (saving to buy a good guitar soon though)
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
Quote by TTElectro
the stereo doesn't have a ground wire in the first place ..my house is grounded though

and i'm using a starter's kit guitar ..a Yamaha ERG 121C (saving to buy a good guitar soon though)

I'm no electrician, but it shouldn't hum that badly when you're not touching the strings even without a separate ground line. It's still grounded, It'd have to be, electricity always flows to the ground, that's how DC circuits are set up to work (sorry, I don't know much about this).

Usually, usually when I have humming, I look at my soldering. Then I start replacing pots. If it's a kit guitar, it's more likely to be either of those problems than anything else.

What you need to do is get yourself a proper amp. I mean, the stereo may be better than a Spider III, but you could still use something made for a guitar.

In any case, unless you start swapping parts out, it's hard to tell.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
I'm no electrician, but it shouldn't hum that badly when you're not touching the strings even without a separate ground line. It's still grounded, It'd have to be, electricity always flows to the ground, that's how DC circuits are set up to work (sorry, I don't know much about this).

Usually, usually when I have humming, I look at my soldering. Then I start replacing pots. If it's a kit guitar, it's more likely to be either of those problems than anything else.

What you need to do is get yourself a proper amp. I mean, the stereo may be better than a Spider III, but you could still use something made for a guitar.

In any case, unless you start swapping parts out, it's hard to tell.

well i'm saving up for a Krank amp at the moment.. but i just need a solution for the time being.
-Dimebag Darrell
its the grounding, there should be a wire going from the back of the volume pot to the underside of the bridge or the trem claw.

For your amp, that probably isn't doing your guitar any good. That should be first priority on your list of things to buy...
A proper chassis ground is very important. My amps would buzz alot it was the house wiring. There were 3 prong outlets in some rooms but most of the house is old 2 wire system. I had to go get a ground rod and put it in the ground then connect the bare wire at the outlets to this rod. No more buzzing. It is possible to put a 3 prong cord in the stereo. I did it to an old ampeg it had the 2 prong cord. As it wasnt a polarized plug (one lug bigger than the other) it could be plugged in backwards. Hot was connected to ground in the amp which could give a zap if you touched the chassis when it was on.