Poll Options
View poll results: Lyrics in Metal?
I care about lyrics.
104 78%
I don't care about lyrics.
30 22%
Voters: 134.
Page 1 of 5
Something has been irking me for a while, and while this thread may graze the Metal forum's red zone, I feel compelled to ask.

Now Metal, being the diverse genre it is, is comprised of bands from all over the world, and when some of these bands attempt to write lyrics in English, it is etymological disaster, a la Sarcofago.

However, I have noticed that a large percentage of Metal fans don't care about lyrics at all, and mostly just focus on the music. Now, admittedly, I do care about music slightly more than I care about lyrics, but I'm a fan of good, solid lyrics in music.

I was wondering how most of the forum felt about lyrics in Metal. Do you tend to check Darklyrics for every song you listen to, or could you not even care about the lyrics? Add reasons for you selections, please.

Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
I personally don't care, I can't be bothered reading them, even if well written.. Admittedly, most of the music I listen to has violent and gory lyrics, but even in bands like Kronos or Nile, the lyrics aren't really important to me.. The music tends to get point across on it's own IMO, and if it doesn't it's usually not worth listening to anyway.
Last edited by destroy_techno at Feb 11, 2009,
I care. That doesn't necessarily mean that I always want serious lyrics or anything, but the lyrics are just as integral part of the music as anything else. Most of the reason that I still purchase CDs is so that I can get the lyric book.
I care about good lyrics but would never not listen to a song which had a good musical structure yet had bad lyrics.

Then there are bands whose lack of poetic eloquence fails on a level previously unheard of, such as Fueled by Fire. These are the bands I completely avoid.
Lost interest.
Not voting since i'm an in-between.

I can certainly appreciate a band and it doesn't irk me much if the lyrics are nothing special or interesting (especially since they're unintelligible when growled/etc), but it is an extra plus when a band has good lyrics, too.

Though I've found that most good bands pack at least respectable lyrics, with the very best usually having pretty spectacular ones. Just something I've noticed,

Basically:

Poor music and poor lyrics - lol
Poor music and great lyrics - meh
Great music and poor lyrics - awesome
Great music and great lyrics - doubleplusawesome
Quote by Lappo

Thank you for posting my thoughts for me.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I care about lyrics when they're intelligible.
Ennunciated growls/cleans with bad lyrics really put me off, but if I can't understand them, it's not really a big deal.

Good bands with good lyrics are just like an added bonus.
Couldn't care less about lyrics, if the music doesn't get its point across, it isn't worth listening to regardless of lyrics
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
A third option is needed. If the music is geat but lyrics aren't I don't find it takes anything away from the quality of music. Although, if the music is great and lyrics are good or even better than the music then it adds quite a bit for me.
Good lyrics are the reason I listen to Primordial.

I'm just a heathen... searching for his SOUL!!!! Da na na da na na

Also, for some bands in which the music sucks, the lyrics can make it fun to listen to anyways, like Goregrind.
If the lyrics are terrible but the music is ****ing awesome, it doesn't bother me. If the music is terrible, but the lyrics are amazing, I won't like it.

If the music is good and the lyrics are good, then that's an added bonus. If the music is bad and the lyrics are bad, I don't think I need to point anything out.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Quote by Lappo

For me it goes like

Crappy music with crappy lyrics - Crap
Crappy Music with sublime lyrics - Still crap
Awesome music with crappy lyrics - awesome
Awesome music with awesome lyrics - same as above

lyrics simply doesn't add or detract anything to me, if it did, I wouldn't mainly be listening to music with totally un-understandable gurgles for vocals
So a lot of you share the same opinion, then? I don't know. I just think that words are an integral part of the song. Like, for example, the final few lyrics of My Sweet Shadow just break the entire song for me. Once it hits this part:

In circles I catch
A torch carried by the immortal
From depths that I created
In vain echoes fade

I just skip to the next track I've got queued up because I hate those lyrics for not making sense at all.

I agree with dminished actually.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Lyrics in a song are kinda like the vocalist's notes.

He has to make the words (like the notes) and express them using his voice.
Quote by The Kreator
Lyrics are the reason I listen to Cryptopsy.

I'm still under the impression that vocals were recorded before lyrics were written for Lord Worm era Cryptopsy .
I can see them writing the song structure.

Flo: "OK, you scream here, here, annnnnnnd (thinks) here."
Lord Worm: "But Flo, those don't go along with the lyrics at all!"
Flo: "Oh, don't worry. People can't tell what they are anyways"
Lorm Worm: *mumbles something behind flo's back*
Quote by The Kreator
Lyrics in a song are kinda like the vocalist's notes.

He has to make the words (like the notes) and express them using his voice.

Yeah, I agree with this. If it's a vocalist/guitarist combo, it's a bit more forgivable, but like, when there's ONE person devoted to singing, I expect more.

Also, Swedes have a penchant for writing awesome lyrics.

"Am I like them?
Those who mourn and turn away.
Those who would give anything to see you again.
If only for another second."

And my recent favorite:
"My fingers they dance upon the strings like fire."
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Dont care much for lyrics especially when listening to black, death, or any other extreme subgenre really
Quote by Lappo

Basically:

+1
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
So many people agreeing with and/or quoting me; I feel so special

Quote by Firenze
So a lot of you share the same opinion, then? I don't know. I just think that words are an integral part of the song. Like, for example, the final few lyrics of My Sweet Shadow just break the entire song for me. Once it hits this part:

In circles I catch
A torch carried by the immortal
From depths that I created
In vain echoes fade

I just skip to the next track I've got queued up because I hate those lyrics for not making sense at all.

I agree with dminished actually.

Well, what you're doing wrong there is listening to post-Clayman IF

Quote by The Kreator

Lyrics: irrelevant. Unintelligable vocals in a language I don't understand, clean vocals with utterly meaningless lyrics - meh, don't care, just as long as the music's good.
It depends on the band, really. If the music is complex and multifaceted, then I tend to be interested in what the lyrics have to say. If it's something that spends most of its time being "brutal," I don't tend to give a piss whether the song is about world peace or raping the corpse of a prostitute's abortion.
I actually care quite a bit about lyrics. I love lyrics that have meaning to them, whether they be political, religious, or just about everyday life. I'm not a fan of gore lyrics because the lack of intelligence put into them (Accept for some of Carcass's old stuff, which includes some of the most detailed terms for entrails I have ever heard). I'm also not a fan of blasphemous lyrics. Call me stupid, but I just hate them. I'm a Christian and I try to stay away from anything that wishes death upon me and my religion. I can tolerate other beliefs, but hate lyrics piss me off. So, I don't listen to much Black Metal; however, I do listen to bands that strictly speak about Norway and the mountains and crap like that, such as Immortal.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by The Kreator

Flo: We need more HORGHS.
Worm: Wat...
Flo: Yeah and a couple more GYAAAAAAAAH's after to contrast nicely.
Worm: Before or after the part about slitting guts?
Flo: That is the part about slitting guts.
Quote by Firenze
Also, Swedes have a penchant for writing awesome lyrics.

"When in Sodom
You bend over quick
Here let me guide
Your little stick"

Pretty much.
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
I actually care quite a bit about lyrics. I love lyrics that have meaning to them, whether they be political, religious, or just about everyday life. I'm not a fan of gore lyrics because the lack of intelligence put into them (Accept for some of Carcass's old stuff, which includes some of the most detailed terms for entrails I have ever heard). I'm also not a fan of blasphemous lyrics. Call me stupid, but I just hate them. I'm a Christian and I try to stay away from anything that wishes death upon me and my religion. I can tolerate other beliefs, but hate lyrics piss me off. So, I don't listen to much Black Metal; however, I do listen to bands that strictly speak about Norway and the mountains and crap like that, such as Immortal.

I like the early Dimmu song about beheading Christians.

I tend to take hate lyrics with a grain of salt. As an atheist who believes in evolution but is against intolerance towards any belief, I've gotten used to having how I think and feel spit on by Christian bigots and atheist bigots alike, so I just don't take any message of that nature seriously anymore.
Depends.

In bands like Agalloch, it's somewhat important, which is why the song "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline" Part ?'s spoken word/shout sounds so stupid and faux-emotional, because of the cheesy ass vocals.

In bands like Cannibal Corpse or Disgorge, it's not supremely important.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
The lyrics are a form of instrument, and are equally as important as all other instruments in shaping a song.

Some songs however dont have lyrics, which is perfectly fine, such as some that don't have drums, or a guitar, or whatever, it's not required, but it does help to shape a song.

Lyrics can be bad, much like a riff can suck, and that just comes with music.

Personally, i listen to lyrics, sometimes, I see them as more important than the guitar work, but the best lyrics are the ones that work with the music itself to create a message (In My Darkest Hour - Megadeth) < That's a perfect example.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by madbasslover
I like the early Dimmu song about beheading Christians.

I tend to take hate lyrics with a grain of salt. As an atheist who believes in evolution but is against intolerance towards any belief, I've gotten used to having how I think and feel spit on by Christian bigots and atheist bigots alike, so I just don't take any message of that nature seriously anymore.

Well, most of the reason these bands write lyrics like this is because of the same reasons you feel towards Christianity. Believe me, I understand how you feel. Christians have failed to live up to the very lifestyle which we preach to others to live. However, I still do not like hearing hatred spewed towards my religion, nor really any other for that matter. I think its childish and just plain stupid to write lyrics about annihilating those adhering to a religion you do not agree with. I do realize that most of these bands are satanist to begin with, though. Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Dissection, and the like. Some of them rely strictly on hate lyrics. Behemoth, while being a pretty awesome band, greatly relies on hate lyrics involving Christianity. However, they can continue to write what they want. I don't really care. I just won't support the music with my money.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Depends.

In bands like Agalloch, it's somewhat important, which is why the song "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline" Part ?'s spoken word/shout sounds so stupid and faux-emotional, because of the cheesy ass vocals.

In bands like Cannibal Corpse or Disgorge, it's not supremely important.

I haven't heard those songs in a while, is it the "I heard the night fall/it called to me something something shadows/it sang to me something ravens" part?
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

Yeah, that gave me a chuckle when I first heard it.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

Yeah, that part.

I just listened to that whole album, but I laughed hard at that part.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
To be honest, I don't find that part to be bad. Not poetically exquisite like most Agalloch, but not bad.

I'm an Agalloch whore though.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Psychopathology
"When in Sodom
You bend over quick
Here let me guide
Your little stick"

Pretty much.

lol. Entombed.
Quote by dminishedthingy
And if you sing along it becomes less cheesy and more fun.

The definition of flower power metal. I'm surprised that power metal lyrics haven't been brought into discussion yet.
Page 1 of 5