I was having a discussion with my room mate, and he seemed to think that most are, that only his Small Stone Phaser wasn't true bypass.

I argued with him, because from what I've seen it looks like a lot of pedals AREN'T true bypass.

In fact, I looked up a bunch of the pedals we own just to see, and it looked like most of the pedals we had WEREN'T true bypass, the only exceptions to this being his POG and Fender Blender.

Now, there are a couple of things I want to know...does it seem like more pedals out there are true bypass or not? And why aren't more pedals manufactured as true bypass?
isn't the small stone true bypass? my small clone is and it is the only pedal i own that is true bypass. no idea why they don't make them all like that though.
The Small Stone is true bypass. My guess is that a non-true bypass pedal is easier to manufacture, so they're cheaper and easier to make. If my assumption is correct, that's why none of BOSS' pedals are true bypass.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
I'd have to say most mass produced aren't, which is why it's always indicated on the ones that are...it's a selling point feature and a way to inflate the price for quality reasons, really. Not that it isn't justified, but you know what I mean.

Kinda like how power windows were in the 80s in vehicles. Pretty standard now, but back then it was a very convenient option and selling point.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
most pedals are not true bypass because it costs more money. however, a well designed bypass system can be preferable to true bypass anyway. unfortunatly most things with a buffered bypass arent that well designed and are supposed to be fairly cheap, which is why people think true bypass is better.
Quote by joe_k
isn't the small stone true bypass? my small clone is and it is the only pedal i own that is true bypass. no idea why they don't make them all like that though.

Any real (aka non Asian) Small Clone is not true bypass.
Quote by jof1029
most pedals are not true bypass because it costs more money. however, a well designed bypass system can be preferable to true bypass anyway. unfortunatly most things with a buffered bypass arent that well designed and are supposed to be fairly cheap, which is why people think true bypass is better.

+1

My Visual Sound H2O has a great bypass, Same with my Maxon OD808 (But they are higher end pedals, not cheapo's)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
its funny, its actually easier (i think its easier) to do true bypass.
the reason boss doesnt use true bypass is because they want to be the "studio standard", so they dont want that click sound when you step on the pedals. true bypass pedals make a loud click.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Feb 11, 2009,
BOSS, Digitech and Behringer pedals i think are not true bypass
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The bypass in my visual sound is really good but thats what you pay for. Theres nothing inherently wrong with buffered bypass if done properly. Ive never been able to figure out how the pile of parts used in the switching and buffers in most pedals is cheaper than the sinlge switch. More than half the parts in a factory ibanez TS9 are just to turn it on and off. Most of the enclosures used now would be pretty hard to put true bypass switches in. And the switching used in most pedals is really quiet versus the loud click of a heavy switch. And there is the circuit pop you need to deal with when making true bypass.
All of the digitech Hardwire series are true bypass
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/diyhome.htm

This site has quite the write-up about true bypass, including listing some pedals which are true bypass as well as what true bypass really is.

If you look at the Korg Pitchblack, its true bypass and it does not "click" when you engage it, so there is a way to have true bypass without the click.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by chea_man
its funny, its actually easier (i think its easier) to do true bypass.
the reason boss doesnt use true bypass is because they want to be the "studio standard", so they dont want that click sound when you step on the pedals. true bypass pedals make a loud click.

true bypass pedals dont have to make a click. putting a pulldown resistor at a certain point can eliminate it. as for it being easier to do tb, i disagree. tb with a led indicator requires a 3pdt switch (not cheap) and wiring for said switch. things like boss pedals require a cheap relay and an extra couple bucks in parts. these parts can all go on the board, which is fairly easy for any company mass manufacturing things. i just think that in the whole mass manufacture scheme, relay switching is probably cheaper and easier. hence why most companies use it.
I dont have anything against buffered bypass, that being good buffered bypass. Several of my pedals are buffered. But I pay the extra $ for ones that are designed and built well. But many of the pedals out there theres way more thought put into how to shave a few cents off the per unit cost than how to make a better pedal. If there is any thought at all put into the tone. All the pedals I build its cheaper to go with the single heavy 3pdt switch and a few resisters than the pile of caps, resisters, transistors, diodes, ICs used in most buffered bypass designs. For me this system is cheaper but Im not buying parts in rolls of 5000 either. The buffered bypass system also opens up the design possibilities for the housings. I doubt a plastic housing would last long using the heavy 3pdt switch.