i need help. i've always been a fender fan, but never felt great about the sound. so a few years ago i bought an hss strat and installed an emg passive pickup in it myself. it was easy to do and sounds great. so recently i tried to do the same thing by buying the same guitar but this time i wanted to install a Gibson 498T Hot Alnico Humbucker in the bridge. i love the pickup and love the sound i've gotten from it from my les pauls. not too much gain not too little. but i can't install it correctly for some reason. the wires coming from the guitar are black, red, white, green, and then an uncovered wire (they were all encased in 1 wire together) . the 4 colored wires were all connected to the original fender pickup in different corners. and the uncovered wire that i'm assuming is the ground was just soldered onto the back of the pickup. Now here's where i get confused. The Gibson pickup only has 1 wire coming out of the pickup. i've tried to do a few combinations of connections to get it to work. But i either get absolutely nothing, or just massive feedback. please help me out. i know im capable of doing it myself and really don't feel like spending the cash to have someone rip me off for a 15 minute job. thanks a lot and i hope someone can answer my question.
the green and red wires get twisted together and taped off, these are for coil tapping and if you are not doing this you can forget about them.
Quote by Chaosinborn
the green and red wires get twisted together and taped off, these are for coil tapping and if you are not doing this you can forget about them.

You did not read well those were from the original pickup..

Like the one above said. The bare cable goes to the ground of the vol pot. And the hot, the shielded cable, goes to the hot of the vol pot
why did you get a gibson pickup? Why didn't you get a nice pickup from Seymour duncan, dimarzio or custom wound, so much better sounding than a standard Gibson pickup which is stock in Gibson guitars, that pickup is made to be replaced